Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Guest firetotheworks

I think if another manager was making those decisions you'd be going mental.

I have to say like, I can't stand the way that people think that this is an argument against those who trust him to get on with it, when really it forms the basis of why he's trusted to get on with it.

Yes, other managers without 2 league titles, 2 UEFA Cups, 1 Champions League, 1 UEFA Super Cup, 1 FA Cup, 1 Supercoppa, and 1 FIFA Club World Cup wouldn't get the same slack as the manager who does. Exactly what's your point? His honours are a measure of the trust we should have for him to be left to get on with it, without somehow still thinking you know better.

He's tried virtually everything in the last six weeks.

Starting Mitrovic if playing two up front ? Playing Merino as a 10 if playing that way ? Playing Mbemba at left back when fit ?

He's tried everything within his own very narrow defines of using players who follow his instructions the most seemingly regardless of their performances.

That is absolutely it with Rafa. Ability will be secondary to following rigid instructions and is the reason some clearly better players are on the bench.

Ideally of course he would like players with ability who will follow his instruction to the letter.

I have to say like, I can't stand the way that people think that this is an argument against those who trust him to get on with it, when really it forms the basis of why he's trusted to get on with it.

Yes, other managers without 2 league titles, 2 UEFA Cups, 1 Champions League, 1 UEFA Super Cup, 1 FA Cup, 1 Supercoppa, and 1 FIFA Club World Cup wouldn't get the same slack as the manager who does. Exactly what's your point? His honours are a measure of the trust we should have for him to be left to get on with it, without somehow still thinking you know better.

Well said. It's not like he's infallible or doesn't make mistakes, obviously he does. But because of his pedigree, I won't really judge him harshly until he's had a proper transfer window where he's been backed properly. There's an argument that in today's game his approach might be considered over defensive, but even with that I don't agree. He'll always be around the top of the division if he's given funds to compete, but we are so far from there at the moment it seems absolutely insane we've got people comparing him unfavourably with people who couldn't lace his boots.

Sadly you can only sell players if you're allowed to buy players.

Normally I'd agree but if they aren't getting any game time, whats the point in holding on to them?

It would look embarrassing if we ended up playing with 8 men.

He doesn't trust them when we have players out so might as well get shot early in the window with the possibility of at least trying to buy new. He can play the press to make sure its known who is to blame if they arent replaced even with loans. Not that anyone needs to be told. Id imagine Mitro more so than Mbemba

OK. You may want to put it in the thread title mind. Rafael Benitez, beyond criticism.

For me he kind of is to be honest. Partly because any criticism directed at him is diverted from where it truly belongs, but also because he's by a considerable margin the best manager we'll ever get under this regime.

If we get taken over, he spends 50 million+ on new players and still isn't getting results then I might have a few words to say, but until then for me he's bulletproof.

Guest firetotheworks

OK. You may want to put it in the thread title mind. Rafael Benitez, beyond criticism.

*Beyond worthless weathercock criticism.

The only really valid criticism I've seen is that he plays Joselu ahead of Mitrovic. I don't know why he doesn't like Mitro, but he clearly doesn't trust certain players, Mbemba being the other obvious one. But without knowing his reasons, can't really say whether it's valid or not.

The tactical criticisms have mostly proven that he was right to stick to his system in the first place. We are losing games through individual mistakes rather than formations mostly.

For me he kind of is to be honest. Partly because any criticism directed at him is diverted from where it truly belongs, but also because he's by a considerable margin the best manager we'll ever get under this regime.

If we get taken over, he spends 50 million+ on new players and still isn't getting results then I might have a few words to say, but until then for me he's bulletproof.

He’s not like no person is he is making some poor decisions and should be open to question about it. Everyone has sympathy with the restrictions the fat c*** has put to him but he certainly still isn’t beyond criticism when deserved. The team selection and tactics used in the last couple of months certainly deserves questions being asked. I keep saying he is not a god. Just don’t understand why there are many supporters seem disgusted when a managers decisions are being questioned when a total of 6 points out of 33 has been accumulated over the last 11 games surely any manager would be under the same scrutiny at any club given the same circumstances.

He’s not like no person is he is making some poor decisions and should be open to question about it. Everyone has sympathy with the restrictions the fat c*** has put to him but he certainly still isn’t beyond criticism when deserved. The team selection and tactics used in the last couple of months certainly deserves questions being asked. I keep saying he is not a god. Just don’t understand why there are many supporters seem disgusted when a managers decisions are being questioned when a total of 6 points out of 33 has been accumulated over the last 11 games surely any manager would be under the same scrutiny at any club given the same circumstances.

Because we finally have a manager we can absolutely trust because he has succeeded everywhere he has been. You might not agree with his team selections or his tactics but that doesn't make you right if we don't win. It also doesn't mean Rafa has made a mistake.

It's in our nature to question things that any manager does, it's part and parcel of being a football fan, but the FACT is Rafa knows far more than any of us and the most likely scenario is that he's right and you're wrong, hence the reason he's a world class football manager and you work in an office?

That's not true though. I've not heard one media pundit question his credentials. Most seem to think the squad is championship standard and he needs to be given the money to strengthen to avoid relegation.

Well said. It's not like he's infallible or doesn't make mistakes, obviously he does. But because of his pedigree, I won't really judge him harshly until he's had a proper transfer window where he's been backed properly. There's an argument that in today's game his approach might be considered over defensive, but even with that I don't agree. He'll always be around the top of the division if he's given funds to compete, but we are so far from there at the moment it seems absolutely insane we've got people comparing him unfavourably with people who couldn't lace his boots.

I think the measure of the job Benitez is doing would be shown for what it is in the event he quit and someone else took over. The fact he's got this squad competitive in the PL is a fucking miracle in itself imho.

That's not true though. I've not heard one media pundit question his credentials. Most seem to think the squad is championship standard and he needs to be given the money to strengthen to avoid relegation.

Tony Cottee has had a few digs but your point stands.

Ditto.

Ditto.

Yep.