Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

44 minutes ago, Conjo said:

If nobody reads his articles or hate reads/reacts to his twitter, his opinion is worth nothing. Everytime you post something from him anywhere, he wins.

This, the age of social media means clicks are more valued than actual journalism. The only way to win is to deprive him of them. Unfortunately the tribal nature of Twitter means he doesn't even have to work hard to get the engagement he needs. Even journos making perfect valid, well written criticisms provoke unwavering rebuke from our social media presence.

Jamie Carragher played the game superbly last week. After his comments on MNF, Villa, Leeds and Newcastle fans were absolutely fizzing.

A 'big club' debate is not only completely subjective based on the metrics you're using, but it's totally intangible and means absolutely fuck all when you haven't won anything for years.

Anyway, he needed traffic for a live talk he was doing and brought it up again, foreseeing the inevitable fume. It was so transparent, but so effective. Lifting.

Just now, The Prophet said:

Jamie Carragher played the game superbly last week. After his comments on MNF, Villa, Leeds and Newcastle fans were absolutely fizzing.

A 'big club' debate is not only completely subjective based on the metrics you're using, but it's totally intangible and means absolutely fuck all when you haven't won anything for years.

Anyway, he needed traffic for a live talk he was doing and brought it up again, foreseeing the inevitable fume. It was so transparent, but so effective. Lifting.

Modus operandi for media outlets to keep fans clubs outside the big 6 involved, is the "big club" debate. Its absolutely pointless, bald men fighting over a comb. What constitutes a big club to one person is different to the next. But ultimately who gives a shit? It's doing Everton brilliantly, being the biggest club to potentially ever go down. What an accolade.

Who gives a flying fuck. 

On 02/05/2022 at 14:50, St. Maximin said:

I don’t see much evidence they’d be in a much better position, if at all, if he’d stayed. They were on the decline for weeks before his sacking, so it’s not like Lampard has made them any worse really. 

The guy is a legend but it won’t work out everywhere for him and it’s fair to say he made mistakes there if the people that follow the club think so.

Surely Lampard was faced with a pretty uphill task anyway given the sorry state of the team when he took over, as opposed to Rafa at the season start, so Rafa has to take blame for that even if the club’s issues do run much deeper. 

I think there is little doubt that Rafa would have performed better in the second half of the season, despite ignoring the pundits' demands that he change his methods.

On 02/05/2022 at 19:16, nbthree3 said:

The players wouldn't be the same had they stayed

He’s such a fucking WUM, Edwards. 

Armstrong is a bench warmer for a lower mid-table team.

On 02/05/2022 at 20:37, The Prophet said:

This, the age of social media means clicks are more valued than actual journalism. The only way to win is to deprive him of them. Unfortunately the tribal nature of Twitter means he doesn't even have to work hard to get the engagement he needs. Even journos making perfect valid, well written criticisms provoke unwavering rebuke from our social media presence.

Exactly. The same people that cry about social media are the ones that justify it's existence in the current format. Stop scouring the web for things to hate. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I just wish for his sake that he'd never taken it, really. Speaks volumes of the man that there doesn't appear to be a shred of bitterness despite the flak he got from the supporters there; says he enjoyed it and that it was just 'a shame.'

He's surely got another good job left in him and I really hope for his sake that he finds it. Who knows where; maybe some equivalent of us over in Spain or France. Who would that be?

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I just wish for his sake that he'd never taken it, really. Speaks volumes of the man that there doesn't appear to be a shred of bitterness despite the flak he got from the supporters there; says he enjoyed it and that it was just 'a shame.'

He's surely got another good job left in him and I really hope for his sake that he finds it. Who knows where; maybe some equivalent of us over in Spain or France. Who would that be?

Leicester 😁

Can't see him at Leicester. Think he needs to go abroad, where to I don't know. Find it unlikely he'll get another PL job, he's one that wants nigh on full control over everything football related and I don't think any clubs really operate like that anymore here.