Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

From the outside looking in, this is all sorts of batshit mental.

I am used to this sort of sudden disengagement, from when Lerner dropped us, but even he wouldn't have been so stupid as to have driven away a clearly world class manager - one who had stayed with the club in the Championship - like this.

I don't know what it is with Ashley? Is it some form of spite? Is it self-harm, or a cry for help? It isn't actually sudden disengagement, it is prolonged, arrogant not-giving-a-f***.

What an absolute circus.

There's no point comparing us to another football club or trying to understand what's happening here through that prism - unless its Blackpool. Other owners become a problem when they lose interest. Ours never had any. Imagine if Lerner diverted the money spent on Villa merch to one of his other companies and covered Villa Park with adverts for his other companies without paying a penny for it - over a 12year period. And that's just the tip when it comes to this Ashley geezer.

Well go and support another team then. I will always want my team to win no matter what and I can’t believe any supporter who thinks any different. Boycott yes, don’t buy merchandise yes but to say you would be angry if the team you support win and then you saying you don’t know how I don’t get it. Some absolute crack pots on here.

Call me a crack pot, but I don't get how you don't get genuine Toon fans actively want us to lose in the current situation?

What does winning achieve but an extension of Ashley's regime? Does avoiding relegation in 2019/20 bring us any closer to Ashley leaving?

What does losing achieve? Relegation with the possibility of Ashley losing money (and possibly bringing his regime closer to an end)?

Personally, I'm hoping we lose 0-10 every match. Ashley killed my club, now I want to see his destroyed.

1 day left on this great mans contract.

Fuck Ashley's club, I want it to burn around him. I'm hoping I can walk away tomorrow and care again when he's gone (if ever).  #IfRafaGoesWeGo

f*** Ashley, absolute arsehole.

He,ll be squirming like a toad next season as he watches his free meal ticket dissappear down the shitter,realising he shot his self in the foot,and all the bad press that goes with being an utter moron

Guest godzilla

Well go and support another team then. I will always want my team to win no matter what and I can’t believe any supporter who thinks any different. Boycott yes, don’t buy merchandise yes but to say you would be angry if the team you support win and then you saying you don’t know how I don’t get it. Some absolute crack pots on here.

Call me a crack pot, but I don't get how you don't get genuine Toon fans actively want us to lose in the current situation?

What does winning achieve but an extension of Ashley's regime? Does avoiding relegation in 2019/20 bring us any closer to Ashley leaving?

What does losing achieve? Relegation with the possibility of Ashley losing money (and possibly bringing his regime closer to an end)?

Personally, I'm hoping we lose 0-10 every match. Ashley killed my club, now I want to see his destroyed.

Yeah that's worked really well in the past hasn't it. As I said before boycott, don't buy any merchandise, don't watch the tv, but to actually want your team to lose  :rolleyes:

I actually don’t think relegation will get rid of him and even if it does and he cuts his losses (he won’t) do we really want to be bought by some chancer like the Don down the road?

Wish I had an idea how to get rid of him but I don’t think relegation is it.

Guest godzilla

I actually don’t think relegation will get rid of him and even if it does and he cuts his losses (he won’t) do we really want to be bought by some chancer like the Don down the road?

Wish I had an idea how to get rid of him but I don’t think relegation is it.

It's not for 2 reasons, 1. buyers are immediately put off as the money is in the premiership and 2. let's say someone is interested then do you really think Ashley will reduce his price by probably £200-£300 million for a sale to be made?

Yeah that's worked really well in the past hasn't it. As I said before boycott, don't buy any merchandise, don't watch the tv, but to actually want your team to lose  :rolleyes:

The possibility of him leaving is better than the certainty of him staying.

It’s not going to be as easy to get back, although Ashley will no doubt think it will. It might even take more than the “couple of seasons in the Championship” many people subscribe to for Ashley to admit he has turned his asset completely toxic, but the time will surely come.

If you suggest collecting a few wins while we wait Ashley out is important, then good luck to you. For me, I hope this season is a complete car crash, with £200m in sales and replaced by no marks and loanees. It’s not my club until Ashley’s gone.

Guest godzilla

The possibility of him leaving is better than the certainty of him staying.

It’s not going to be as easy to get back, although Ashley will no doubt think it will. It might even take more than the “couple of seasons in the Championship” many people subscribe to for Ashley to admit he has turned his asset completely toxic, but the time will surely come.

If you suggest collecting a few wins while we wait Ashley out is important, then good luck to you. For me, I hope this season is a complete car crash, with £200m in sales and replaced by no marks and loanees. It’s not my club until Ashley’s gone.

So your banking on the club staying down for several seasons as your argument, worked well the last two times and you're saying it's not easy to get back, both times before were done very comfortably. Look at the likes of Norwich and Villa (relegated with us) who are also back within three year. The likes of Leeds and Sunderland were train wrecks of clubs when they went down and in so much debt that they couldn't recover.

He's not going to do £200m in sales man IF the takeover doesn't come through  :lol: He will always do enough to ensure that the club get's promoted within a season or two as it's the only way he will make the money he thinks the club is worth. The only way we are going to see the back of Ashley is as a premiership club.

Yeah I don’t see how staying in the championship will help sell the club. He will try and buy his way out like he has the last 2 times. Lumping the club with more and more debt to him. Which will make it less and less attractive to potential buyers.

I understand the reasoning behind the relegation thought but I just don’t see it happening. Unless we do a Sunderland and drop right through the leagues. Even then I can see him running us tight enough to not cost him too much money and still working his way back up the leagues.

The only way I see him leaving is mass desertion of the club and the media turning against him. Coupled with shite direct and his other businesses coming under financial pressure.

To me the media is one of the biggest problems. So many apologists spouting shit all over the place which the common football fan hoovers up without question. Need strong consistent anti Ashley message from the media to get the hate going to the masses.

Tbh I have no problem with how anyone regards NUFC these days - whether they still want us to win, actively want us to lose (I was the same when I thought it might lead to Pardew's demise), or if they're almost totally fucking ambivalent which is about where I'm getting to. I'll probs stick the games on in the background and vaguely want to see us win matches but not be that arsed either way. I was pretty much at that stage for a lot of games last season, Rafa or no Rafa.

What I do have an issue with is anyone who is settled on one of the above and therefore has a pop at anyone who isn't with them in their stance. Everyone is different man, it's completely and utterly tedious to grill people about whether they'll watch the matches in the house/pub next season and how they'll react to wins/losses/goals etc. Mind your own fucking business ffs, and get on with whatever it is you're doing.

Tbh I have no problem with how anyone regards NUFC these days - whether they still want us to win, actively want us to lose (I was the same when I thought it might lead to Pardew's demise), or if they're almost totally fucking ambivalent which is about where I'm getting to. I'll probs stick the games on in the background and vaguely want to see us win matches but not be that arsed either way. I was pretty much at that stage for a lot of games last season, Rafa or no Rafa.

What I do have an issue with is anyone who is settled on one of the above and therefore has a pop at anyone who isn't with them in their stance. Everyone is different man, it's completely and utterly tedious to grill people about whether they'll watch the matches in the house/pub next season and how they'll react to wins/losses/goals etc. Mind your own fucking business ffs, and get on with whatever it is you're doing.

Absolutely. There’s enough negativity around as it is without us turning on each other for opinions. :thup:

I think the difference is we’ve bounced back from relegations at the first time of asking. Add into this we had the highest ever average crowds in the second division.

We need to go down, stay down. No TV money and tiny gates means no money for Ashley.

That’s what it’ll take.

So yes. I’d actively support us losing to ensure I get my club back. What’s the point in the club in its current guise?

Absolutely, the most important part is we all stay away, after that who cares how people watch/celebrate, that's a personal choice that doesn't affect Ashley's tenure.

Guest Howaythetoon

Agree with all of that, but anyone who goes deserves all this and need shot with shit and should be called out, these are the same cunts who call out those who don’t go, watch on telly or at the pub and moreso those that protest. They can fuck off, they are as bad as Ashley himself and the problem all the same. Ironically they will be the first to boo when we get humbled off Arsenal and piss and moan on social media or talk ins, ignorant they did the same when we lost under Rafa or Perez fluffed a shot. Still, with the ginger Geordie Pirlo back getting stuck in, they will have something to cheer about!

Absolutely. There’s enough negativity around as it is without us turning on each other for opinions. :thup:

Good post.

The truth is, none of us know what is the best solution for the long term. My view is different to others. And others are different to mine.

C’est la vie :(

Agree with all of that, but anyone who goes deserves all this and need shot with shit and should be called out, these are the same cunts who call out those who don’t go, watch on telly or at the pub and moreso those that protest. They can fuck off, they are as bad as Ashley himself and the problem all the same. Ironically they will be the first to boo when we get humbled off Arsenal and piss and moan on social media or talk ins, ignorant they did the same when we lost under Rafa or Perez fluffed a shot. Still, with the ginger Geordie Pirlo back getting stuck in, they will have something to cheer about!

So you don't agree with all of that then :lol: You don't agree with any of it

Guest Howaythetoon

So you don't agree with all of that then :lol: You don't agree with any of it

Re-read the IP’s post and the context he’s getting at. He’s saying (from what I’m reading anyway) watching games, wanting the club to win, posting and discussing next manager etc. doesn’t disclude you from wanting Ashley out or trumps one way of protesting over another.

If I’m wrong then fine, I stand by my comments on those that do go, however. Disclaimer mind, if you go but protest by not buying shit, chant Ashley out etc. and are active in protesting I’m OK with that. Next step, walk away...

Chronicle

It’s understood that while Rafa Benitez has come to the conclusion he can not work for Mike Ashley’s United, he could be open to a return under new management down the line.