Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Are we not overreacting, when i moan or point out something within a particular game, that's for just that incident in that game.

It's not slating Rafa or not wanting him, it's the type of thing a fan points out in any game, winning or losing. Sometimes it's as if we're waiting to jump on anything or something anyone says about Rafa that isn't praise.

Or we've developed the cult of Corbyn in here too like.

Rafa has been a cult on here for some time. It’s a combination of our situation and his ability which in light of the situation is incredible he’s still here (so all situation really)

He’d be under far more scrutiny if we had a proper owner I’m sure, but it seems you can’t say anything negative as all you’ll get is that it’s the situation and Ashley is to blame...which is hard to argue with as he has created it, but sometimes you can do more with the hand you’ve been dealt rather than just keep blaming the dealer.

Rafa has been screwed left right and centre any fool should know and see it. I get the 'just keep blaming the dealer' argument, and the obvious and perfectly correct his squad isn't good enough because of Ashley, so what can he do.

My point and i reckon others on here is, even if Rafa had spent £100m i would still comment on a sub, the timing of one or a certain tactic or approach, a poor starting pick etc as that's football. And what i love to talk about, scrutinise and study more than anything else.

Well, that's ultimately being spoilt by him n all. I suppose hyper sensitivity is partly from this bullshit narrative attacking Rafa and people want to defend him to the hilt. Also I'm finding it hard to see the relevance of the on pitch stuff so everything is viewed through the other lens. Sad but there you go.

Are we not overreacting, when i moan or point out something within a particular game, that's for just that incident in that game.

It's not slating Rafa or not wanting him, it's the type of thing a fan points out in any game, winning or losing. Sometimes it's as if we're waiting to jump on anything or something anyone says about Rafa that isn't praise.

Or we've developed the cult of Corbyn in here too like.

Rafa has been a cult on here for some time. It’s a combination of our situation and his ability which in light of the situation is incredible he’s still here (so all situation really)

He’d be under far more scrutiny if we had a proper owner I’m sure, but it seems you can’t say anything negative as all you’ll get is that it’s the situation and Ashley is to blame...which is hard to argue with as he has created it, but sometimes you can do more with the hand you’ve been dealt rather than just keep blaming the dealer.

Rafa has been screwed left right and centre any fool should know and see it. I get the 'just keep blaming the dealer' argument, and the obvious and perfectly correct his squad isn't good enough because of Ashley, so what can he do.

My point and i reckon others on here is, even if Rafa had spent £100m i would still comment on a sub, the timing of one or a certain tactic or approach, a poor starting pick etc as that's football. And what i love to talk about, scrutinise and study more than anything else.

Can’t argue with any of that.

I really don't see it that way. What I see most frequently are a few people who continually act persecuted, which reeks of victim complex.

Once again, the people who get regularly slated are those on the extreme side of the wing. I am sure a few people will attack every criticism of Rafa, which I agree is a bit ridiculous. But those who appear to stick out the most by some distance are the likes of gd.

Footy and opinions, ha it would be boring without them. I find it hard to write down exactly what i mean sometimes, it gets lost in translation although to be fair to me I'm from Essex so i have a ready made excuse  :laugh:

I've no doubt if we all discussed Rafa, the club, the football etc face to face things would be interpreted differently. Obviously there are knackers who can't see he's the best chance we have of winning anything (if we can get shot of Ashley) but then they're entitled to that view, mad as that is.

And people are entitled to call them out on it. They are not being persecuted, man.

Never said you couldn't, I'm just talking from my perspective. You may or may not have noticed that Tubes does my utter nut in, with his trillionth post about how Rafa should be walking away, and me asking him to shud up already.

And people are entitled to call them out on it. They are not being persecuted, man.

Never said you couldn't, I'm just talking from my perspective. You may or may not have noticed that Tubes does my utter nut in, with his trillionth post about how Rafa should be walking away, and me asking him to shud up already.

Agreed. I just see some people applying the Fairness Doctrine to this situation like CNN does to anthropogenic climate-change deniers. That shit is problematic, because without the proper context, one could argue that there is one cult persecuting people for their views.

Agreed. I just see some people applying the Fairness Doctrine to this situation like CNN does to anthropogenic climate-change deniers. That shit is problematic, because without the proper context, one could argue that there is one cult persecuting people for their views.

And news organizations like CNN are 100% correct in doing so. However silly or dangerous one's views, censorship is, of course, never the answer. What's funny is that the same people who are afforded an international platform, total freedom, to air their views, then cry persecution when they get called out, or someone refutes their claims :lol: You have a right to speak your mind, you don't have the right to not let others speak theirs in return. If you're going to post dumb shit, get used to being called one.

Watching Newcastle at the moment, it is a bit depressing and I can see the temptation to blame it on Rafa's negative tactics, transfer signings who can't get in the team etc. I just try and look at the bigger picture:

1) We are going through a really tough opening fixture list.

2) Rafa is a brave man who won't chuck in new players unless he feels they are up to speed. That takes balls and even though it's frustrating, I admire him for sticking to his convictions.

I think we are just going to have to keep our heads down and see where we are in a few weeks where we might see fortunes turn with a kinder fixture list.

He looked absolutely fed up on Saturday; his body language was not good. I sit reasonably close to the dugout and he appeared very subdued. He’s probably counting the days until he can leave now. That second half was horrendous.

Watching Newcastle at the moment, it is a bit depressing and I can see the temptation to blame it on Rafa's negative tactics, transfer signings who can't get in the team etc. I just try and look at the bigger picture:

1) We are going through a really tough opening fixture list.

2) Rafa is a brave man who won't chuck in new players unless he feels they are up to speed. That takes balls and even though it's frustrating, I admire him for sticking to his convictions.

I think we are just going to have to keep our heads down and see where we are in a few weeks where we might see fortunes turn with a kinder fixture list.

Not playing your strongest 11 is a dangerous game to play especially with us because what we have in reserve is so inferior. If these guys are fit enough to be on the bench they should be fit enough to start a game

And news organizations like CNN are 100% correct in doing so. However silly or dangerous one's views, censorship is, of course, never the answer. What's funny is that the same people who are afforded an international platform, total freedom, to air their views, then cry persecution when they get called out, or someone refutes their claims :lol: You have a right to speak your mind, you don't have the right to not let others speak theirs in return. If you're going to post dumb shit, get used to being called one.

That's not the point. They are not correct in treating such views equally to accepted science, and creating controversy where there is none. Not about censorship, but reminding less-informed people that they are fringe conspiracy theories that are not taken seriously for a good reason. Massive difference.

That's not the point. They are not correct in treating such views equally to accepted science, and creating controversy where there is none. Not about censorship, but reminding less-informed people that they are fringe conspiracy theories that are not taken seriously for a good reason. Massive difference.

Not when it comes to climate science, an issue that actual governments treat like totally not a settled matter, as seen in the US. It's hardly fringe when the gov't is gutting the EPA based on this supposed fringe. As a news org, it's your duty at that point to have someone on who's on the side of all this power. It's your job at that point to refute them point by point, by having actual scientists there who can do so.

What does anyone gain from criticising Rafa? Of course he makes errors, he's a human. They are few and far between though.

Personally, I prefer to save my anger towards the owner, who is much more of a reason behind us losing games.

Not when it comes to climate science, an issue that actual governments treat like totally not a settled matter, as seen in the US. It's hardly fringe when the gov't is gutting the EPA based on this supposed fringe. As a news org, it's your duty at that point to have someone on who's on the side of all this power. It's your job at that point to refute them point by point, by having actual scientists there who can do so.

yes, but having a soundbite format with one scientist and one denier makes it appear like it is a controversy. It is one glaring problem with the Fairness Doctrine, and has worked to the advantage of big oil by throwing manufactured doubt in the mix, and already capitalizing on people's natural confirmation bias. Anyway, almost every major government does in fact treat it like a settled matter. Big Oil's Big Tobacco tactics have only been massively effective in the US.

Back to this, people should give these views a bit more context, instead of treating this like some Inquisition.

yes, but having a soundbite format with one scientist and one denier makes it appear like it is a controversy. It is one glaring problem with the Fairness Doctrine, and has worked to the advantage of big oil by throwing manufactured doubt in the mix, and already capitalizing on people's natural confirmation bias.

I agree the format of our entire news television is terrible, and not conducive to long-form debates or chats, where nuance can actually come through. Instead almost all of these chats devolve into shouting matches.

yes, but having a soundbite format with one scientist and one denier makes it appear like it is a controversy. It is one glaring problem with the Fairness Doctrine, and has worked to the advantage of big oil by throwing manufactured doubt in the mix, and already capitalizing on people's natural confirmation bias.

I agree the format of our entire news television is terrible, and not conducive to long-form debates or chats, where nuance can actually come through. Instead almost all of these chats devolve into shouting matches.

:) we digress

Please continue. Its the most constructive the football section has been in months.

Please continue. Its the most constructive the football section has been in months.

I don't know. Tube's exploration of different ideas every day is inspirational.

For me it's pretty simple really, we can all agree that the main culprit is Ashley, no that doesn't mean we can't question some of Rafa's choices but this is Rafa, he knows more about the game than the members of this forum put together and that earns him the right to make mistakes. If this was Alardyce or Pardew then have at you but it's not and if Rafa doesn't think a player is ready to join the first team, unlike Pardew, he won't play them. Our best 11 won't be fielded until he thinks they're ready to be fielded and when he thinks it's best to field them. Just like he did last season and the season before he'll spend the first 10 games mixing up the first team and easing players in, the main reason we don't suffer from injury set backs and why we're still relatively fresh in the vinegar strokes of the season.

There's a lot of factors damaging our form at the moment but I'd say 1% or maybe less of that is down to Rafa and only Rafa, come Christmas he'll have had time to get his best 11 together and singing from the same hymn sheet and we'll have enough results in the bag to not be flirting with relegation.

Whatever happens and when we do start to move free and gain some momentum my only hope is that the protests against Ashley only intensify otherwise we look fickle and Ashley will go back into hiding safe for another season.

For me it's pretty simple really, we can all agree that the main culprit is Ashley, no that doesn't mean we can't question some of Rafa's choices but this is Rafa, he knows more about the game than the members of this forum put together and that earns him the right to make mistakes. If this was Alardyce or Pardew then have at you but it's not and if Rafa doesn't think a player is ready to join the first team, unlike Pardew, he won't play them. Our best 11 won't be fielded until he thinks they're ready to be fielded and when he thinks it's best to field them. Just like he did last season and the season before he'll spend the first 10 games mixing up the first team and easing players in, the main reason we don't suffer from injury set backs and why we're still relatively fresh in the vinegar strokes of the season.

There's a lot of factors damaging our form at the moment but I'd say 1% or maybe less of that is down to Rafa and only Rafa, come Christmas he'll have had time to get his best 11 together and singing from the same hymn sheet and we'll have enough results in the bag to not be flirting with relegation.

Whatever happens and when we do start to move free and gain some momentum my only hope is that the protests against Ashley only intensify otherwise we look fickle and Ashley will go back into hiding safe for another season.

:thup:

Rafa is awesome and we won't get a better manager than him. We are so lucky to have him, I wonder why he is here but it's because he knows he can achieve a lot here and he is loved. Is he human? Yes. Will he make mistakes? Yes. We have had a ridiculous start to the season and no way to build momentum. We will be fine and we will not get relegated. We will finish between 8th and 12th.

Rafa is awesome and we won't get a better manager than him. We are so lucky to have him, I wonder why he is here but it's because he knows he can achieve a lot here and he is loved. Is he human? Yes. Will he make mistakes? Yes. We have had a ridiculous start to the season and no way to build momentum. We will be fine and we will not get relegated. We will finish between 8th and 12th.

If this squad finishes 8th ill eat hay with a donkey