Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Love the glasses removal.

does he just not care about seeing properly once the match is over or summit? :lol:

I'm mesmerized by that tweet. The movement from glasses in pocket to hand shake is so seamless, it's like a magicians slight of hand.

The champions league winning team was mainly houllier's team tbh with a few additions like Luis Garcia.

That CL is singularly the greatest managerial achievement I had the privilege of following in the last 20 years. Everyone focuses on the final but he was pulling rabbits out the hat every single game. Look at the Juve vs LFC squad in the quarter-final. Look at our subs  ;D and Juve was managed by Capello (who is no mug).

Juventus: 1-Gianluigi Buffon; 21-Lilian Thuram, 4-Paolo Montero, 28-Fabio Cannavaro; 16-Mauro Camoranesi, 8-Emerson, 11-Pavel Nedved, 24-Ruben Olivera, 19-Gianluca Zambrotta; 9-Zlatan Ibrahimovic, 10-Alessandro Del Piero ©

Liverpool: 1-Jerzy Dudek; 3-Steve Finnan, 4-Sami Hyypia ©, 23-Jamie Carragher, 21-Djimi Traore; 18-Antonio Nunez, 25-Igor Biscan, 14-Xabi Alonso, 6-John Arne Riise; 10-Luis Garcia, 5-Milan Baros.

Subs: Carson, Cisse, Smicer, Le Tallec, Warnock, Welsh, Potter.

Don't really want to dwell on negatives after a positive performance but I hate how every defending corner seems to be absolute panic stations at the back.

I know Antia has a lot of input with them but any corner that passes our man at the front post just seems an absolute free-for all.

Having said that, I think if he manages to keep Newcastle up ( which I am confident he will) this season, it will probably be his greatest achievement. He has pulled out magical victories at other clubs but this is the first where the owner is actively trying to sabotage progress made.

Don't really want to dwell on negatives after a positive performance but I hate how every defending corner seems to be absolute panic stations at the back.

I know Antia has a lot of input with them but any corner that passes our man at the front post just seems an absolute free-for all.

It's a worry. We've already conceded more goals from set pieces this season than we did in all of last season!

Having said that, I think if he manages to keep Newcastle up ( which I am confident he will) this season, it will probably be his greatest achievement. He has pulled out magical victories at other clubs but this is the first where the owner is actively trying to sabotage progress made.

if he doesn't get any backing this january and keeps us up it will be absolutely remarkable tbph

if he doesn't get any backing this january and keeps us up it will be absolutely remarkable tbph

Not really when Cardiff, Huddersfield and Fulham are so shite

you've just named 2 teams that have backed their manager to the tune of something like £100m more than rafa each on the players they've got :lol:

it will be an amazing achievement imo

you've just named 2 teams that have backed their manager to the tune of something like £100m more than rafa each on the players they've got :lol:

Huddersfield have spent £100m more than us? Genuine question.

We've won 2 games and we're 14th :lol: The bottom of the league is complete shit this season. I think we'll be comfortable again

Havent all three teams backed their managers to a reasonable amount?

We've won 2 games and we're 14th :lol: The bottom of the league is complete shit this season. I think we'll be comfortable again

Fair enough, presume our wage bill is probably higher than theirs though

What are you actually basing that on?

I severely doubt it if youre paying 17m plus for a player his wages are going to be higher than a guy who costs 5m its only natural really and if we are giving 5m chumps 50 or 60k a week then our club is ran by even bigger fuckwits than I thought

Got it spot on yesterday, I thoroughly enjoyed watching us for the first in a while, him and the players deserve a lot of credit, I have been critical of the man this season and rightly so IMO, but it looks like there's a good chance hes going to turn this around, and I absolutely hope he does, and shoves my words back down my gob.

I'm talking about Huddersfield not Brighton. Apparently last season the average Newcastle first team player earned £32,889 per week while the average Huddersfield player earned £19,693 per week. I doubt that has changed significantly enough for our wage bill to be below theirs

I severely doubt it if youre paying 17m plus for a player his wages are going to be higher than a guy who costs 5m its only natural really and if we are giving 5m chumps 50 or 60k a week then our club is ran by even bigger fuckwits than I thought

Problem is we have loads of average players on much more than they deserve. When they leave we end up taking a hit on the fee but also end up paying a bulk of their wages. We'll be still paying players who left 2 seasons ago.

For once we also pay our manager handsomely.

Guest firetotheworks

I'm talking about Huddersfield not Brighton. Apparently last season the average Newcastle first team player earned £32,889 per week while the average Huddersfield player earned £19,693 per week. I doubt that has changed significantly enough for our wage bill to be below theirs

The difference equates to around 17m for a 25 man squad over a 4 year period. Even using Lee Charnley accounting it doesn't change anything.

Yeah but no disrespect to Huddersfield or Brighton, but we're Newcastle United ffs, our club should be bringing in a lot more revenue than those 2, spending more on transfer fees AND wages than them. Again, it all comes down to Ashley.