Rafa Benítez (now unemployed)

Greg

Would you have Rafa back?   

463 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have Rafa back?

• Yes, as manager, immediately
    • Yes, as manager, but at some point in the future (eg if relegated)
    • Yes, in an advisory or DoF role
    • No, not in any meaningful capacity

This poll is closed to new votes

Atm i can’t see myself supporting or respecting any manager who accept working in this regime.

It’s over - forget about we must support the lads...it’s just wrong if we do!

Ashley will win again and again. He must go before things will change.

How is it possible to be so greedy and selfish and ignoring the wishes/hopes/passion of 100 thousands of fans.

All this negative PR and relegationsfight will be more expensive than Rafas plan!

I used to think about one day having kids that would watch games with me. I have kids now, I don't think I want to put them through this shit. Absolutely gutting thought. Sure I'm not alone.

This cunt has drained the soul and is killing traditions. I thanked Rafa on here at the end of the season as I thought it was the end then. Sadly predictable it's drawn out this long.

Sadly predictable the protest tonight had dozens not hundreds. Hopefully they organized more and more people turn up tmrw.

This is where i’m at.  There’s no way i’m taking my kids to watch NUFC under Mike Ashley.  We’ve probably already lost a generation of fans because of this cunt!

I used to think about one day having kids that would watch games with me. I have kids now, I don't think I want to put them through this shit. Absolutely gutting thought. Sure I'm not alone.

This cunt has drained the soul and is killing traditions. I thanked Rafa on here at the end of the season as I thought it was the end then. Sadly predictable it's drawn out this long.

Sadly predictable the protest tonight had dozens not hundreds. Hopefully they organized more and more people turn up tmrw.

This is where i’m at.  There’s no way i’m taking my kids to watch NUFC under Mike Ashley.  We’ve probably already lost a generation of fans because of this cunt!

Same for my nephew, when he gets to the right age I can't ever see us taking him to Newcastle now.

Sat for the last 4 hours at work and can’t believe this......the dream was to take the young lad to his first ever game at SJP sometime in the next year and let him experience the fury, the passion, the whole range of emotions of SJP with the gentleman in the dugout.....now he can’t understand it and me.........broken

At least that prick Luke Edwards is well and truly outed as an Ashley stooge and as such a non-football person.

He can f off and die too.

Heard him on talksport, nearly drove off a bridge deliberately to shut him up.

:lol: this is literally the only thing that's made me laugh all night. Feel like smashing shit up. But yeah Luke Edwards is a cunt who puts out whatever Ashley/Charnley/Bishop want putting out there.

From the Heil

Rafa Benitez joked in January that you did not have to venture far down Newcastle United's list of transfer targets before you found players with one arm or one leg.

It drew the laughter intended and was said away from the television cameras and dictaphones, but the subtext was serious - the club simply weren't prepared to invest to the level he demanded.

And that, amid a myriad of factors, is the key reason why he is no longer Newcastle manager after failing to reach an agreement to extend his contract, which expires on Sunday.

Come the end, the relationship had eroded beyond repair and club officials were even struggling to make contact with him at one point last week.

It was then that his exit became inevitable and a statement, on the say-so of owner Mike Ashley, was rushed out on Monday. The timing took Benitez by surprise and he was only informed of the news by a friend while at home on the Wirral.

In theory, there were still six days left to negotiate with the Spaniard, but Ashley's instruction was to call time early and begin the search for a new manager.

The club had expected Benitez to stay when talks began last month and that is why no thought was given to a replacement until now. The sole focus, they say, had been on retaining Benitez.

It became apparent that Newcastle weren’t prepared to invest to the level he demanded

It is a travesty, however, that Ashley has allowed this to happen. Benitez did not want to leave, he wanted a reason to stay. He wanted the club's ambition to match his own, a desire to be more than a team for whom survival was the primary aim. He repeatedly talked of 'doing things right' and, in turn, challenging for Europe.

Newcastle will argue that a plan was in place for improvement and that Benitez had to work within the club's means - a transfer budget of £50million plus player sales for the season ahead.

Benitez, though, wanted closer to £100m and the power to offer weekly wages in excess of £100,000 for the first time.

He also demanded the freedom to spend as he saw fit and at the top of his list was West Brom's Salomon Rondon, the loanee who was Newcastle's Player of the Season. The club disagreed on the grounds of the striker costing £16.5m and turning 30 in September. Managing director Lee Charnley told Benitez that the model was to sign players under 25 with sell-on value.

That is all very well on a balance sheet, but when a manager of Benitez's standing deems that an older player is the best man for the role, then surely he deserves that backing?

That the club did not trust his judgement implicitly was at the core of a breakdown in a marriage of convenience which had long since grown turbulent. A £6m penalty for both parties should they have been the one to initiate a divorce perhaps explains why it lasted as long as it did.

Benitez wanted to spend as he saw fit and was keen to sign Salomon Rondon permanently

Ashley chooses to trust his fixer Justin Barnes and PR man Keith Bishop above most - two men with no football experience - yet he would not put his faith in Benitez, a world-class manager he was lucky to have in the first place.

As one source said, 'Benitez was simply too big for Newcastle United under this regime'. The Champions League winner was not prepared to sign up to the club's idea of growth, suspecting they would be left behind given investment higher up the Premier League.

And Benitez was right. In time, Newcastle will realise that. They only achieved 10th and 13th-placed finishes in the last two seasons because of his management, extracting the maximum from a limited group of players.

You seldom heard any of that squad speak ill of their manager and their social-media tributes were plentiful and heartfelt on Monday afternoon.

They, like supporters, had hoped the stand-off between Benitez and Ashley would be resolved for the good of the football club.

But the pair had no personal relationship to fall back on when it came to reaching a sensible compromise.

Supporters (pictured last year) were left furious after learning of Benitez's impending exit

Indeed, two summers ago Ashley threatened to release the minutes of a meeting in which it is said Benitez had signed off on a transfer budget of £70m over four windows, only for the boss to then question the level of investment.

The furious owner was talked out of a move which would have surely seen Benitez leave the club.

The manager, however, also wanted improvements off the pitch, such as the training ground which ranks as one of the most out-dated in the Premier League. Benitez was somewhat miffed earlier this year when Charnley said that no player had ever walked out on signing for the club because of those facilities.

There were also concerns over the general running of the club with Charnley the only senior employee at executive level and he answerable to Ashley on almost everything.

Benitez was frustrated when a mid-season break in Spain was delayed last year after the cost jumped from £90,000 to £105,000, a hold-up indicative of the sluggish manner in which he believed they conducted their transfer business.

Newcastle achieved 10th and 13th-placed finishes in the last two seasons because of Benitez

Then there was his own salary, a handsome £6m but a figure he wanted to see improved, especially given the offer of £12m from Chinese club Dalian Yifang. Newcastle would not budge, instead offering bonuses on top of the £6m.

It is telling, too, that the length of the contract discussed in recent weeks was just 12 months, providing both sides with a hasty get-out.

All things considered, news of their split should come as no surprise, even if it is something neither party wanted.

A premier league team getting flustered because a training trip to Spain for the whole squad cost 105k....FFS

We are a laughing stock compared to the other 19 teams in the league to the extent its fucking embarrassing. We dont belong in the premier league because quite frankly we are run like a league 1 club. Training facilities are shit (we still use paddling pools as cold baths) the stadium is falling to bits and fucking filthy. Playing squad is not upto scratch and 1 fucking senior employee and its Charnley just is the icing on the cake

Wonder which fucking idiot will be next in the managers chair? What I do know is he will be on a fraction of Rafas 6m

The sooner we do what the mackems have done and drop to league 1 the better

Guest chopey

1 senior employee at the club!!!! Talksport asked the question tonight, "who will choose the next manager" so it looks like Charnley and Barnes, what a fuckin joke of a club and a total embarrassment, the lot of them should be ran out of town.

Fuckin fit and proper persons test!!!

How dare they how fuckin dare they.

Rafa, a nufc legend along with King Kev and Sir Bobby.

That's it for me now, not wasting another penny on NUFC until Ashley is gone, will also be spending very little time interested in the club.

Ashley, fuck off you cockney cunt.

This is it for me while Ashley is at the helm. With each step forward there usually are two steps back but this feels like purposefully throwing the club into the abyss. I look forward to be interested in NUFC again but I think I'll stick with the Bundesliga next season. See you later!