Newcastle United vs. Stoke City - 16/09/17 @ 3pm (No TV)

HaydnNUFC

My first choice team would never be picked by Rafa, but I do think he needs to look at the effectiveness of Perez in the 10 role and Hayden's lack of composure in every game bar West Ham. I would like to see LeJeune back in the starting line up but hard to say Clark and the Capt have done anything wrong to warrant either of them being dropped. Although I've like what I've seen from Joselu, if Gayle is fit, I would perhaps be tempted, maybe not for this game as it might be more suited to a forward that offers more than just scoring goals.

Rafa likes his rotation, so I wouldn't be surprised to see some changes, they'll probably be more subtle ones though, than the wholesale stuff I'm advocating.

Think this is going to be a good gauge on just where we are, Spuds are way out of our league and we can't expect really to compete against them, Swansea and Huddersfield are relegation candidates this year, West Ham are on paper a mid table team but playing like relegation candidates. Stoke have mid table written through them, in really good nick, a victory here would point us in the direction of having the potential to be at the same level as them and that would be a fantastic first season back in the PL.

Atsu must come back in for Murphy IMO and I'd like to see Yedlin start for Manquillo. Other than that, same side.

I guess we have to rotate to stop burnout etc. but I do feel like Jacob should be getting 20 or 30 mins at the end of games right now to ease him in more.

Murphy's runs off the ball will be an asset against them, if they do come and sit back. He's picked up good positions with good movement in his limited minutes. I wouldn't mind him starting but best for his confidence if he's a sub; his brain is a second behind PL football at the minute.

I'd be quite tempted to play Shelvey-Merino, tbh, but I think Rafa will wait to see how they set up before bringing Shelvey in. If they're deep and trying to counter, he's a great weapon to have, especially if he can't be marked out with Merino next to him.

Reckon we'll lose this and everything will be shit again.

With the negativity Rafa will have reintroduced to his shite signings at training coupled with his boring football it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

What is our fully-fit (sans PD) best back 4? Assuming Yedlin is our #1 RB, and Mbemba is probably our best LB at the moment, who plays CB?

There's absolutely no way you could shift Lascelles or Clark after two clean sheets in a row, but Lejeune will be on hand as soon as one of them has a slip.

Clark was superb against West Ham and Lascelles the same against Swansea, so it's hard to say with any confidence that bringing in Lejeune would improve things at the moment.

Totally agree with you, debatable if Lejeune in the same position as Lascelles makes that slide. Obviously a good problem to have when all fit that we have some sound CBs at this club. I'm hoping Mbemba can play at LB this week as I really do like him there and I don't mind Manquillo's pace, he's a good carrier of the ball but he's kinda rank at defending :lol:. Yedlin plz.

Guest firetotheworks

Not gonna get too carried away. Stoke are a decent enough team in the grand scheme of things and traditionally this is the sort of game we'd lose. I think we'll all go into it confident, but this early on it's still about getting to know what we're like as a team. A 1-0 win feels about right, but nothing aside of a thrashing either way would really surprise me.

Perez's role in the 10 is mainly to press when we don't have the ball, he's been doing a pretty good job at that so far this season and I can't see Rafa changing it anytime soon now he's decided Diame isn't up to it.

Reading the Oatcake we're privileged to be sharing the same grass as them what with their Champions League players and our Championship attack. Oh and being utter utter dog s****. Stokalona City

Excellent. This is how West Ham and Swansea viewed us.

Reading the Oatcake we're privileged to be sharing the same grass as them what with their Champions League players and our Championship attack. Oh and being utter utter dog s****. Stokalona City

Excellent. This is how West Ham and Swansea viewed us.

Absolutely being underestimated is a huge benefit to us right now, on one hand long may it continue but in order for that to happen we would have to put in a bunch of abject performances and garner few points.

I'd like

Yedlin - Lascelles - Clark - Gamez

Merino - Shelvey

Ritchie - Perez - Atsu

Joselu

If nobody's sent off, we'll win.

Can't see us winning if we play without a goalkeeper.