Newcastle United 1 - 1 Liverpool - 01/10/17 - Post-match reaction from page 27

Greg

Cracking effort that, good value for the point. That display looks lush in the pics, great stuff. Very good atmosphere in the Gallowgate today as well.

Obviously special mentions for Yedlin & that Shelvey ball. Hopefully this lass sorts out a sale for us.

The best angle was from the camera in the Gallowgate, the swerve on it was epic. Brilliant ball.

Said at the start of the season that Shelvey will be on the fringes of the England squad come May and I'll stick with that. He ought to be, anyway, when you consider the likes of Livermore are currently in there ahead of him.

I heard bits of the game and then only saw the highlights. It looks like we didn't give them very much, but enough for them to have won the game. With a bit more luck we would have got something at Huddersfield or Brighton, so perhaps it was our turn this week.

A shame we couldn't test them more on set pieces, where our delivery's been great this season and they are known to be weak. Only that one corner, which did fall nicely to Diame, and no free kicks anywhere near their goal.

A hard game to start for the Merino-Shelvey dream team, but it sounds like it went okay.

I heard bits of the game and then only saw the highlights. It looks like we didn't give them very much, but enough for them to have won the game. With a bit more luck we would have got something at Huddersfield or Brighton, so perhaps it was our turn this week.

A shame we couldn't test them more on set pieces, where our delivery's been great this season and they are known to be weak. Only that one corner, which did fall nicely to Diame, and no free kicks anywhere near their goal.

A hard game to start for the Merino-Shelvey dream team, but it sounds like it went okay.

They had a few chances but a large number of those came from harsh refereeing decisions, also we opened up Liverpool a few times which were pulled back by the referee for no reason. Better refereeing and the game could have turned out differently.

Quite an accomplished defensive performance, and I don't mind it one bit. Football is about entertainment at some stage, but we are in a situation where we have to identify the moments to dig in and keep our shape. The primary aim of this season is to stay up and solidify our position in this league, and I'll take performances like this all season long. These types of results give our players more confidence and belief in Rafa's plan, and that can only be a good thing.

I thought Elliott was very good coming off his line several times in a flash to snuff out danger from Salah and Sturridge. It's clear that our coaches had identified the threat and asked Elliott to play sweeper keeper when possible. Love seeing these little tactical adjustments that end up influencing a result. Never saw this with the PFM mongs in years gone past.

Yedlin, Lascelles and Shelvey were excellent for us IMO.

Liverpool's defensive unit are powder puff and if we had any decent attacking threat we could have beaten them. Apart from possibly Matip, I wouldn't trade our defence for theirs. This is also the reason their attackers feel under pressure to score every time they attack, having no confidence in their side's defending - hence the million fluffed chances per game they keep banging on about.

Reasonably happy this morning.

Thought the atmosphere was superb Yesterday. Even in the family enclosure it was very loud with everyone singing and clapping. Really feels like everyone is buying into the 'rafalution' at the moment.  :)  :clap:

Can't help thinking that there is just something fundamentally wrong with this Liverpool set up that is going to need a lot of correcting. Two years of Klopp and huge investment and they're still nowhere near where they want to be.

You just can't go on dominating games and lamenting why you don't get the results you deserve. Eventually you must concede that something's not right.

Their best player (by some distance) doesn't want to be at the club and when he leaves they could end up being little more than better than average.

Though the fee could be reinvested of course, see how Everton have readjusted to selling their star man and reinvesting that money to date.

Liverpool may potentially have bigger problems than anyone at the club seems to be willing to admit to at present.

Guest Howaythetoon

They have amazing ability, but to me they looked quite ordinary at times against us and we were comfortable in the main I'd say given their attacking ability. They are soft as shit at the back as well. Again he's under pressure.

Guest firetotheworks

They looked ordinary because we didn't allow them to play their game. I said in this thread earlier, but that's the best performance in terms of nullifying Liverpool that I've seen at least this season. We played well.

This whole he's under pressure thing though? Haven't seen it, where are you getting that from?

The only place he's under pressure is in HTT's mind tbh, he'll get the rest of the season at a bare minimum. Like i been saying before the current top 4 are just better and no manager in the world is changing that, they need significant investment to change that.

He's made mistakes no one is denying that, buying Chamberlain being the most recent one. But he's not under pressure and no manager is making them title contenders under the same circumstances.

Guest Howaythetoon

There doesn't have to be media pressure or calls from fans to be under actual pressure. It comes from why LFC appointed him in the first place which was to reastablish themselves as European Champions and to deliver that long awaited title. If you don't think he's under pressure, watch his interviews, watch him on the touchline.

He is not in any danger of being sacked of course, but if this season doesn't deliver a CL place and maybe a trophy I could see him getting peddled at the end of the season. Read Rawk as well, loads of moans and groans and frustrations.

They've had a poor transfer window and although Salah is excellent, AOC is a huge waste of money and they have failed to address their key weaknesses once again. Its early doors of course, but if they don't click soon they could be way off the pace.

They look to me like a team of individuals, players playing with no real sense of where they ought to be playing in their system or out there on the pitch and unless someone like Coutinho bags a worldly, they are struggling.

We were very good defensively yesterday, but did they really threaten us to the point you would expect of their talent going forward?

Guest firetotheworks

They look to me like a team of individuals, players playing with no real sense of where they ought to be playing in their system or out there on the pitch and unless someone like Coutinho bags a worldly, they are struggling.

How often have you watched Liverpool under Klopp? After Man City they're probably the most coherent and systematic team in the league. How you've come to the conclusion that they're a team of individuals and have to rely on Coutinho worldies is beyond me like, it's night and day to that in reality.

How often have you watched Liverpool under Klopp? After Man City they're probably the most coherent and systematic team in the league. How you've come to the conclusion that they're a team of individuals and have to rely on Coutinho worldies is beyond me like, it's night and day to that in reality.

:lol: I have to say they look like a team with shite defenders.