Newcastle United 1 - 0 Crystal Palace - 21/10/17 - Post-match reaction from pg23

Greg

You can tell that is a team managed by Roy Hodgson [emoji38] They’ll be in or around the bottom 3 come May.

That is exactly the type of game we’d have lost previously, a good 3 points from an absolutely terrible game. We have (and will) play better than that and lose, so it’s good to pick up 3 points on an off day.

What a load of tripe about hodgson.

What? A boring team with little/no ideas going forward - the perfect Roy Hodgson team.

They have no strikers tbf, not his fault

That has absolutely nothing to do with his team being boring or having little/no ideas going forward tbh. You can play without a striker and still be fun and not lack ideas, i'd argue that him not starting Loftus Cheek just strengthens figures argument tbh.

Having no players who can play as a striker has nothing to do with his team being boring or lacking ideas going forward? Ok then

What? strikers have fuck all to do with a team being entertaining or needing ideas going forward. Pep could bench Aguero and Jesus for the rest of the season and they wouldn't be boring or lack ideas.

I dunno about you but a striker doesn't suddenly make a team exciting to watch that wasn't before.

Aye well I'm not comparing Roy Hodgson to Pep Guardiola :lol: Most managers would struggle to have a good attacking team with no strikers available. If we had Harry Kane up front I think we'd be much more entertaining but fair enough if you disagree

So if Roy Hodgson had Harry Kane, he’d have a much more entertaining team?

:serious:

I never said anything like that. I said that its unfair to judge their attacking skills on a game where they had no fit strikers available. Of course its very likely they will be poor going forward anyway

Nobody is judging Hodgson on one game though; they are judging him over his entire England career and so far his short career with Palace. He had an England team with a lot of in-form attacking talent and managed to make them into one of the most boring England sides I have ever seen and oversaw two hideous tournaments.

You’ve just said Harry Kane would make us more entertaining - so why were England as dull and uninspiring as Palace today?

He was a decent manager, he’s now out of touch with the modern game and his dinosaur tactics aren’t going to work.

Your post that I replied to said "A boring team with little/no ideas going forward". I don't care about what he'd done in the past. All I've said is that you can't judge that yet as he hasn't had a striker available

I don't think we can criticise Rafa for being over conservative and dull when we consider the difference in quality between two teams.  Crystal Palace players are much better than us.  It's simply down to Rafa that makes them look like shit.

No way do palace have much better players than us. They couldn’t even score in their first 7 games.

They have a bunch of overrated players like Zaha, Townsend and even Cabaye who was found out when he went PSG.

You could argue that their squad is of similar quality to ours, and the better manager is what split the two teams, but it’s not a much better squad.

I don't think we can criticise Rafa for being over conservative and dull when we consider the difference in quality between two teams.  Crystal Palace players are much better than us.  It's simply down to Rafa that makes them look like shit.

Really? I’d take Townsend, Zaha, and  Loftus-Creek, but I wouldn’t say that the others are much better than what we have.

Yea that's why I said people will start to overrate our players base on match display and league standings.  We are basically last years championship team plus a Merino, with our top scorer close to finish and contributed absolutely nothing on the pitch.  We even could not add fringe players like Kenedy into our squad.

If you think our players are better than you definitely do not understand Rafa is performing unprecedented magic that no manager has done before.

They really are. They have the following players that can start for us: Townsend, Zaha, Van Aanholt, Sakho.  McArthur and Schlupp are more than serviceable, and Cabaye is still a much better player than Hayden.  Loftus Cheek is top quality prospect, and they still got an ace striker Benteke in injury list.

We are better as a team due to Rafa.  Individual wise they are far better. Let's say both team swapped the manager, and tell me what the results would be?

Certainly I think Palace ought to be doing better, given some of the players they've got. I was a bit worried about this fixture, particularly given the threat of the pace of Zaha and Townsend. A win and a clean sheet is a good result which we shouldn't take for granted.

There's been a big improvement in the quality and confidence of our passing. We have our limitations, but we do look like a team, for the first time in a while.

Guest firetotheworks

Not sure what's wrong with the idea of Palace having better players than us, like. They clearly do in Zaha, Loftus-Cheek, Benteke, Zakho, but as has been mentioned time and time again, the difference is Rafa. You only need to look at Townsend's form with us to see the difference between just comparing players as they are, and comparing them with what they have the potential to be under Rafa.

I would also echo the comments of Crystal Palace having better individuals than us. They are a more established premier league team than us despite what the table says at the minute. We are over achieving with our squad and that is down to one person, Rafa.

Guest firetotheworks

Eh? [emoji38] On what planet are results the entire measure of players abilities or your opinion of them?

We nearly went down with Ba, Cisse, Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Debuchy, Santon and that was entirely down to the manager, not because they're poor players. West Ham went down with David James, Carrick, Defoe, Joe Cole, and Di Canio.

You only need to watch Van Aanholt, Loftus-Cheek, Zaha, and Benteke to know that they'd be better than Dummett, Perez, Atsu, and Joselu in our system under Rafa.  Townsend would be and has been great under Rafa as well. I can't believe that even needs to be said tbh.

To be fair, Loftus-Cheek, Zaha and Benteke may be better than we’ve got but Merino, Shelvey and Yedlin are probably better than what they’ve got.

We are both two poor sides, but we are managed and coached better. There really isn’t much between the two sides, maybe one player here or there but I don’t think they have an overwhelmingly better team.

So you’ve named about half a team of their players who would start for us, so surely half our team would start for them? So we’re about level on natural ability then.

I would say the ones listed would likely walk in the team at the minute. Zaha, Townend, Benteke, Cabaye, Sakho and probably even their keeper.

That's probably based on both fans' opinion. Others would be 50/50 depending on which team you support and seen more of.

In my opinion they have about 3 maybe 4 players that would get in our team, Benteke (Joselu), Zaha(Either winger probably Atsu) and Probably Cabaye (Hayden) other than that I would rather keep what we have. Sahko has the odd good game and Townsend maybe based on his form when he was here would have a shout, but they're not definte upgrades to what we have at all. Loftus Cheek looks decent from what i've seen, but i wouldn't swap him for Shelvey or Merino.

Forgot about Perez, Zaha can have his spot and then keep our 2 wingers