Newcastle United 1 - 0 Crystal Palace - 21/10/17 - Post-match reaction from pg23

Greg

Quick scan of Palace forums. Nice to see they're a humble bunch of fans :lol:. Good riddance.

Would love to see them go down.

My favourite thread I saw was one titled

"What happened?"

The gist being the guy hadn't seen the match but wanted an explanation as to how they lost to such a shit team after they won last week :lol:

Diame wasn't falling over his feet today, He's lost the pace of his Pre-Nufc days, but when he's got his balance sorted out his power and skill can help us. Never going to be brilliant, but might not be finished here yet.

I don't think this was some Rafa masterclass like :lol:

It was 2 teams with no strikers playing against against each other.

It was two teams with tactics that cancelled each other out and neither manager willing to take a risk to win it. Always going to be settled by a set piece.

This tactics cancelling each other out stuff only goes so far like. Both teams were alarmingly poor on the ball. It was basically only Townsend and Zaha who looked like they'd kicked a ball before.

Primarily because there was no space, due to how both teams were set up.

I don't see what this tactical yin and yang craic has to do with Palace not having any strikers and Joselu being poor like. There was a lack of quality throughout both sides and it's highlighted best of all up front. When Townsend and Zaha got on the ball the game threatened to burst into life but that was about it.

Have you been listening to a load of footy podcasts or something recently?

No i don't do podcasts.

That would be fine if Joselu had missed a load of chances but he barely had the ball in the final third, that wasn't all his doing, that was because of how the rest of the team failed to function.

Ah aye I said as much myself a few pages back like. My original post is canny shite reading back like, it wasn't meant to come across as blaming Joselu, was just a throwaway comment about how poor both squads are - although we can play much better than this, the lack of quality means it's never going to be consistent. It was in reaction to someone seeming to suggest that the game went to Rafa's plan which I don't think it did, I think he'd have been massively dissapointed with the performance of most had we not grabbed a pretty fortunate winner.

I bloody hate Diame with a passion but his introduction today was what we needed. Perez must have touched the ball about four times today.

Perez was f***ing hopeless today, the Lego haired c***

He's hopeless 9 times out of 10 being generous. We just have nobody else to play there apparently.

It was two teams with tactics that cancelled each other out and neither manager willing to take a risk to win it. Always going to be settled by a set piece.

This tactics cancelling each other out stuff only goes so far like. Both teams were alarmingly poor on the ball. It was basically only Townsend and Zaha who looked like they'd kicked a ball before.

I don't see what this tactical yin and yang craic has to do with Palace not having any strikers and Joselu being poor like. There was a lack of quality throughout both sides and it's highlighted best of all up front. When Townsend and Zaha got on the ball the game threatened to burst into life but that was about it.

No i don't do podcasts.

That would be fine if Joselu had missed a load of chances but he barely had the ball in the final third, that wasn't all his doing, that was because of how the rest of the team failed to function.

Ah aye I said as much myself a few pages back like. My original post is canny s**** reading back like, it wasn't meant to come across as blaming Joselu, was just a throwaway comment about how poor both squads are - although we can play much better than this, the lack of quality means it's never going to be consistent. It was in reaction to someone seeming to suggest that the game went to Rafa's plan which I don't think it did, I think he'd have been massively dissapointed with the performance of most had we not grabbed a pretty fortunate winner.

Agree with that.

Now go and read Inverting The Pyramid. :lol:

Just caught the first 30 mins and the last 10 (although my PVR recorded the full game). Sounds like I won't need to waste my time on the stuff in the middle. Hugely important win, 14 points from 9 is a very healthy position to be in at this stage, the schedule is going to ramp up in difficulty, but we've caught something of a break because I always think it's harder for the more successful clubs to maintain their form when they are playing twice a week as they are now with European games in full swing.

No i don't do podcasts.

Ah aye I said as much myself a few pages back like. My original post is canny s**** reading back like, it wasn't meant to come across as blaming Joselu, was just a throwaway comment about how poor both squads are - although we can play much better than this, the lack of quality means it's never going to be consistent. It was in reaction to someone seeming to suggest that the game went to Rafa's plan which I don't think it did, I think he'd have been massively dissapointed with the performance of most had we not grabbed a pretty fortunate winner.

Agree with that.

Now go and read Inverting The Pyramid. :lol:

:lol: I deserve that.

Guest firetotheworks

I don't think this was some Rafa masterclass like [emoji38]

No i don't do podcasts.

Agree with that.

Now go and read Inverting The Pyramid. [emoji38]

*Inverting ;)

Only seen the highlights, but keep thinking the team is papering over the cracks just through sheer force of will and managerial accumen - both are great, but I'd feel less anxious with a bit more quality. My worry is that a protracted sale process will prevent any January signings.

Guest firetotheworks

Inverting the Pyramid is shit.  Waffles on too much and there isn't anywhere near enough tactics talk with sufficient depth for a book based on tactics.

It's very much a History of rather than an analysis. It's far far too dry as well, I was immensely bored by it and I'm obsessed with football, so I'm not sure who the book's really for. You couldn't read it and really learn anything massively insightful.

Quick scan of Palace forums. Nice to see they're a humble bunch of fans :lol:. Good riddance.

:lol: go on..

https://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=105&fid=1

They come across as a typical set of fans of a s*** club who have hung around the top league doing basically f*** all for a few years so they can't understand losing to a newly promoted team, doesn't compute. "But this time last year, they were a championship team and we're a PL team, how did we lose!!??". Bit like Stoke and others. They feel like they're an established part of the top division and they just disgracefully lost to those deluded yo-yo jawdies. A few years in the league below will do the daft c***s some good.