Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Meh, I really don’t think the legality or complexity is causing this holdup anymore, not after what’s effectively been weeks and weeks of waiting. A deal has simply not been agreed, and my money based on his previous is on Ashley being an akward if not downright unwilling seller (unless he gets what he peceives as a gold plated offer).

"Legality and complexity" (i.e. bickering over specific contract terms) is the majority of the work in any M&A project.  The actual valuation/bickering over price stuff doesn't take as long as you'd think.

I don’t doubt it. The point is never has it been reported that a price had been agreed in principle and we all know how Ashley operates. He’s not a rational, professional human being who can be trusted to behave in a predictable fashion. He’s previously stood up potential buyers after flying over to the middle east to meet them. I genuinely believe it’s more about how any deal makes him feel powerful and like he’s “won” than even strictly a magic number he has in mind as a minimum price he can agree to. People have focused mainly on there being an apparantly eager buyer who could transform the coub’s fortunes rather than on the man child at the other side of the table who’s just out to push people around at his behest like he always does. I for one wouldn’t be at all surprised if Ashley calls this off out of the blue if PCP don’t bend over backwards far enough to accomodate his idiocies.

Inclined to agree UB, however this has been going on a long time now and PCP are no mugs. If he was ripping the piss out of them they'd have been away and we'd have heard about it by now imo.

Caulkin's tweet about some progress being made last week ties in with things still bubbling along.

My guess, which is worth nothing and is the same as many opinions, is that they've made an offer and won't budge due to the threat of relegation and that's about it. As you say Ashley is a wretched human and this might all be him at it again but as things stand the signs point equally to it still happening as much as it falling apart.

As for Benbow’s latest drivel, he concludes that Ashley will buy more shares because Sports Direct can buy more back. It’s just daft.

:thup:

Is it though if he can actually buy so much more back? You obviously know more than me. I just wouldn’t poo poo his postings as drivel. He’s probably well intentioned just like this drivel spouting gob shite ;)

He's talking about a shareholders vote which would allow SD (not Ashley) to buy back shares. Where do they get those shares? Existing shareholders, at the shareholder's election if they want to sell. If anything, increasing this cap would be useful if Ashley were planning to SELL his personally held shares in SD back to the company to give him cash in hand, not the other way round.

Been trying to find out some info about Canterville Ltd and one name keeps cropping up in relation to Staveley, Craig Farquah Eadie

He seems to have been a director at a few of her companies including Amanda Staverley Foundation & PCP Capital Partners LLP, however he resigned as a director from PCP Capital Partners LLP on 1st December 2017 but it looks as though she has used his company Penhallow Company Services Ltd as an agent to set up Canterville Ltd. He was also involved with Staveley when she was arranging the Barclays/Abu Dhabi investment back in 2013

When doing some digging on Craig Eadie it appears he is an Oxford graduate solicitor who has worked in corporate finance and he has been directly involved in principal transactions for PCP Capital Partners previously.

Is Craig Eadie involved behind the scenes in representing her do we know?

Wife and daughter asleep so yes I have too much time on my hands :D

Yeah I noticed that last night when I also had too much time on my hands. I think it’s normal for people to employ the same people as previously, or to re-use the same consultants etc.

Been trying to find out some info about Canterville Ltd and one name keeps cropping up in relation to Staveley, Craig Farquah Eadie

He seems to have been a director at a few of her companies including Amanda Staverley Foundation & PCP Capital Partners LLP, however he resigned as a director from PCP Capital Partners LLP on 1st December 2017 but it looks as though she has used his company Penhallow Company Services Ltd as an agent to set up Canterville Ltd. He was also involved with Staveley when she was arranging the Barclays/Abu Dhabi investment back in 2013

When doing some digging on Craig Eadie it appears he is an Oxford graduate solicitor who has worked in corporate finance and he has been directly involved in principal transactions for PCP Capital Partners previously.

Is Craig Eadie involved behind the scenes in representing her do we know?

Wife and daughter asleep so yes I have too much time on my hands :D

Yeah I noticed that last night when I also had too much time on my hands. I think it’s normal for people to employ the same people as previously, or to re-use the same consultants etc.

Isn't he the legal side of PCP ?

As for Benbow’s latest drivel, he concludes that Ashley will buy more shares because Sports Direct can buy more back. It’s just daft.

Is it though if he can actually buy so much more back? You obviously know more than me. I just wouldn’t poo poo his postings as drivel. He’s probably well intentioned just like this drivel spouting gob shite ;)

He's talking about a shareholders vote which would allow SD (not Ashley) to buy back shares. Where do they get those shares? Existing shareholders, at the shareholder's election if they want to sell. If anything, increasing this cap would be useful if Ashley were planning to SELL his personally held shares in SD back to the company to give him cash in hand, not the other way round.

It's just rubbish :lol:

Totally ignores that the same resolutions were passed in 2016 and 2015 and if you look at that companies house link that got posted a few pages back you can see SD was buying shares in itself all the way through 2017 to the tune of more than £100m.

The Cantervale thing was a good spot but the kid's just digging up any old crap, making it superficially plausible and sticking it on twitter to get a bit more attention.

Is it though if he can actually buy so much more back? You obviously know more than me. I just wouldn’t poo poo his postings as drivel. He’s probably well intentioned just like this drivel spouting gob s**** ;)

It's just rubbish :lol:

Totally ignores that the same resolutions were passed in 2016 and 2015 and if you look at that companies house link that got posted a few pages back you can see SD was buying shares in itself all the way through 2017 to the tune of more than £100m.

The Cantervale thing was a good spot but the kid's just digging up any old crap, making it superficially plausible and sticking it on twitter to get a bit more attention.

Think you've just described 95% of twitter in general there.

The latest rumour that Rafa has been told he has to sell players before buying suggests that this isn't happening any time soon. We can write off any funds from Ashley which would be paid off in the event of a takeover if that's true.

Meh, I really don’t think the legality or complexity is causing this holdup anymore, not after what’s effectively been weeks and weeks of waiting. A deal has simply not been agreed, and my money based on his previous is on Ashley being an akward if not downright unwilling seller (unless he gets what he peceives as a gold plated offer).

"Legality and complexity" (i.e. bickering over specific contract terms) is the majority of the work in any M&A project.  The actual valuation/bickering over price stuff doesn't take as long as you'd think.

I don’t doubt it. The point is never has it been reported that a price had been agreed in principle and we all know how Ashley operates. He’s not a rational, professional human being who can be trusted to behave in a predictable fashion. He’s previously stood up potential buyers after flying over to the middle east to meet them. I genuinely believe it’s more about how any deal makes him feel powerful and like he’s “won” than even strictly a magic number he has in mind as a minimum price he can agree to. People have focused mainly on there being an apparantly eager buyer who could transform the coub’s fortunes rather than on the man child at the other side of the table who’s just out to push people around at his behest like he always does. I for one wouldn’t be at all surprised if Ashley calls this off out of the blue if PCP don’t bend over backwards far enough to accomodate his idiocies.

This rationale, and breakdown of Ashley, is why I don't pay much attention to posts & articles which adopt a conventional business wisdom approach when theorizing why a deal will be done at such-n-such a time etc etc (because it makes the most business sense for MA, as a seller).

Apparently some Dacia Duster just rocked up to SJP.

It's happening, lads!

What the hell is a Dacia Duster. Sounds like some sort of hoover.

Some cheap ass car.

Loan signing incoming [emoji38]

Apparently some Dacia Duster just rocked up to SJP.

It's happening, lads!

What the hell is a Dacia Duster. Sounds like some sort of hoover.

Some cheap ass car.

Loan signing incoming [emoji38]

Nah, it'll be the car to take Colback away.

That would be a bin wagon.

Such an emotional rollercoaster this take over. Even though no facts are being presented, I swing from being relaxed and thinking it will come in and investment will happen in Jan, to thinking it won't come off, nothing spent and our PL status or Rafa as our manager is in jeopardy.

Such an emotional rollercoaster this take over. Even though no facts are being presented, I swing from being relaxed and thinking it will come in and investment will happen in Jan, to thinking it won't come off, nothing spent and our PL status or Rafa as our manager is in jeopardy.

This is exactly how I feel. Today I am in the camp of it not happening and Ashley once again just being a c***.

I do think it's gone a bit too quiet now, especially with the January disaster about to unfold. I guess we would know if it was properly off, but it's getting tedious.

It's not off, but you have to question whether Ashley and PCP are ever going to agree on a valuation. If we get relegated, the price might drop by £50m, but then PCP might say now it's worth £50m less than that. I think Ashley will always set the price too high because he's a stubborn spoilt bastard.

I do think it's gone a bit too quiet now, especially with the January disaster about to unfold. I guess we would know if it was properly off, but it's getting tedious.

It's not off, but you have to question whether Ashley and PCP are ever going to agree on a valuation. If we get relegated, the price might drop by £50m, but then PCP might say now it's worth £50m less than that. I think Ashley will always set the price too high because he's a stubborn spoilt bastard.

Exactly. There's no comfort in thinking a deal is more likely if we go down. Can't imagine Rafa wants to waste another year of his career managing in the Championship when he could be at a Champions League club. With or without Rafa there's no guarantee PCP will want us if we go down, may wait for us to come back up or simply forget the idea of buying us.

We are in a horrible purgatory.