Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Might be worth keeping SJP for the traditionalist mugs who have no ambition, and (I'm not sure if against the rules) build a second stadium in London. Naming rights, and tradition, both boxes ticked. Plus a whole new catchment area to protect us from FFP. Play the champions league and top 6 matches at the stadium in London, less attractive and cup matches at SjP?

One of the most batshit things I've read on here in a while :lol:

Don't think he's being serious.

My recollection, and I lived on Teesside at the time, is that Boro's ground was usually referred to as the Cellnet.

not in my recollection and I'm on Tesside nearly every working day and have for 30yrs.  Better example would be the Gallowgate end. An established name that gets changed, what does everyone call it.......it's already established name. If Man City had stayed at Maine Road would people call it the Etihad or Maine Road ?

Lie I say, depends how it's done and I'd rather they didn't but it's not a line in the sand for me, not like club colours or club name.

Might be worth keeping SJP for the traditionalist mugs who have no ambition, and (I'm not sure if against the rules) build a second stadium in London. Naming rights, and tradition, both boxes ticked. Plus a whole new catchment area to protect us from FFP. Play the champions league and top 6 matches at the stadium in London, less attractive and cup matches at SjP?

One of the most batshit things I've read on here in a while :lol:

Don't think he's being serious.

I really hope not :lol:

My recollection, and I lived on Teesside at the time, is that Boro's ground was usually referred to as the Cellnet.

not in my recollection and I'm on Tesside nearly every working day and have for 30yrs.  Better example would be the Gallowgate end. An established name that gets changed, what does everyone call it.......it's already established name. If Man City had stayed at Maine Road would people call it the Etihad or Maine Road ?

Lie I say, depends how it's done and I'd rather they didn't but it's not a line in the sand for me, not like club colours or club name.

If Maine Road had been the Etihad for 20 years, it would be known universally as the Etihad and the amount of people who called it Maine Road would be shrinking on a daily basis.

If Maine Road had been the Etihad for 20 years, it would be known universally as the Etihad and the amount of people who called it Maine Road would be shrinking on a daily basis.

We'll have to disagree on that then.

Edit...as an aside are the official names of the Leazes and Gallowgate still Sir John Hall stand and Brown Ale stand. Can't remember them being changed back but I know the map on the club website referes to the original names.

We'll have to disagree on that then.

Edit...as an aside are the official names of the Leazes and Gallowgate still Sir John Hall stand and Brown Ale stand. Can't remember them being changed back but I know the map on the club website referes to the original names.

Leazes Stand and Gallowgate.

stadium-plan-updated.jpg

My experience in the Bay Area of California was that Candlestick Park remained “Candlestick Park” no matter the naming rights. And that place wasn’t even historic (built 1958), much less loved. The national media called it “3com Park”, but nobody human did.

I cannot understand people being fine with a name change, for any amount of money.

No one's fine with it. But would you prefer to keep trawling along with an owner like Mike Ashley who'll keep hiring s**** managers and championship players because he's happy to finish 17th?

So if they can't change the name of the stadium the takeover is going to fall through?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I am going off the assumption that the new owners would want to change the stadium name. Otherwise, what is this discussion about? If there's a choice, then obviously I'd rather keep the name as it is, as I'm sure 99% of people debating it would.

Hmpf.. The Etihad was known as City of Manchester Stadium before, a name no one liked so it was just called Eastlands or even Wastelands before becoming The Etihad.

It would feel really odd calling it something else like "Nissan Stadium" or whatever now.

Guest The Little Waster

Could we not keep the stadium name and just rent out the names of the 4 stands ?

How do you market something using stands..?

Dont Liverpool have a Coca Cola stand ??

Still disappointed City didn't call one of their stands The Bell End.

Won in a vote didn't it?

Can't remember tbh, think they compromised by having one of the touchline stands named instead.