Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I cannot understand people being fine with a name change, for any amount of money.

Hopefully it won't come to that and to be fair not all the grounds have changed names i.e. Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge, White Hart Lane; but if it was a choice between changing the name and having a team that can consistantly challenge for honours year after year or not changing the name and having years of mediocrity then I know which one I would choose for sure.

I cannot understand people being fine with a name change, for any amount of money.

I cannot understand why this particular issue would be the line in the sand for some.

Just goes to show, there will never be universal agreement on anything.

Strip change and renaming of club would be my lines in the sand: probably think it would be the same for most of us?

Would be interesting to see a poll on what we are willing to compromise on, given that if (as seems likely) we are bought by major overseas investors, history seems to suggest a few of these types of changes come as part of the price..

I don't think anyone is fine with the prospect of the stadium changing names but I do think an awful lot of fans would accept the sacrifice if it meant major investment in the squad. Ideally this cash would come in without the need to change the name but it seems inevitable really. I'll still call it SJP regardless of the name change anyway.

I don't think anyone is fine with the prospect of the stadium changing names but I do think an awful lot of fans would accept the sacrifice if it meant major investment in the squad. Ideally this cash would come in without the need to change the name but it seems inevitable really. I'll still call it SJP regardless of the name change anyway.

Thats exactly it. How many called it by what the name was changed to last time which I can't even remember the proper format of it. Everyone carried on and called it what we always had, not even out of principle.

As many have said I'd rather we didn't have to but if it's gets that investment in I'd reluctantly go along with it.

Same with PSG and their retrospective sponsor deal with Qatar.

didn't UEFA decide that both PSG's and City's "sponsorships" didn't count and fined them and reduced CL squad size for FFP breaches?

I could live with that.

Thats exactly it. How many called it by what the name was changed to last time which I can't even remember the proper format of it. Everyone carried on and called it what we always had, not even out of principle.

This is just not true. Media outlets outright refused to call it SJP.

A stadium name doesn't have to be used in the press very long before the previous name ceases to exist.

Might be worth keeping SJP for the traditionalist mugs who have no ambition, and (I'm not sure if against the rules) build a second stadium in London. Naming rights, and tradition, both boxes ticked. Plus a whole new catchment area to protect us from FFP. Play the champions league and top 6 matches at the stadium in London, less attractive and cup matches at SjP?

Might be worth keeping SJP for the traditionalist mugs who have no ambition, and (I'm not sure if against the rules) build a second stadium in London. Naming rights, and tradition, both boxes ticked. Plus a whole new catchment area to protect us from FFP. Play the champions league and top 6 matches at the stadium in London, less attractive and cup matches at SjP?

WTF?

Straight from RTG.

Not for me, some things shouldn't be bought. There's so little left in football that's not tainted by the stench of money that we should fight for it.

The euphoria of winning is often about overcoming adversity to achieve results. With bags of money comes a reduced sense of that feeling of achievement. I would definitely prefer to be bought by someone intelligent with decent finances (like Ashley basically on the finances part), who will understand what it takes to create a positive club environment and give the manager what he needs to succeed.

No one's fine with it. But would you prefer to keep trawling along with an owner like Mike Ashley who'll keep hiring shite managers and championship players because he's happy to finish 17th?

I wouldn't want to lose the stadium name at all but I don't think it would affect the average fan. Could be wrong but I don't think attendance dropped after the sport direct arena change? People were annoyed at first, but like anything it dissipated after a bit

Could say that about anything Ashley's done. If he changed the kit, the badge and the club name, the stadium would be full by the weekend.

No one's fine with it. But would you prefer to keep trawling along with an owner like Mike Ashley who'll keep hiring s**** managers and championship players because he's happy to finish 17th?

So if they can't change the name of the stadium the takeover is going to fall through?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

A stadium name doesn't have to be used in the press very long before the previous name ceases to exist.

I meant people on the street, mates in pubs etc. I listen to very little punditry crap that I wouldn't know if they used it or not so aren't bothered what they do.

I wouldn't want to lose the stadium name at all but I don't think it would affect the average fan. Could be wrong but I don't think attendance dropped after the sport direct arena change? People were annoyed at first, but like anything it dissipated after a bit

Could say that about anything Ashley's done. If he changed the kit, the badge and the club name, the stadium would be full by the weekend.

Agree with George Bailey from earlier that the name and colours are the lines in the sand (I've been through plenty of badge changes).

I meant people on the street, mates in pubs etc. I listen to very little punditry crap that I wouldn't know if they used it or not so aren't bothered what they do.

Not sure what your mates call it is really what's at stake tbh.

Agree with George Bailey from earlier that the name and colours are the lines in the sand (I've been through plenty of badge changes).

My mate in the pub will still wear a black and white scarf so I don't care about the colours.

My mate in the pub will still wear a black and white scarf so I don't care about the colours.

It is different. When you go you can't avoid seeing the colours, don't know how often I hear St James' park mentioned during my usual week (and even then most get it wrong!)

That's when I hear it most and thats what matters most to me, what we the fans call it as opposed to someone sitting in a studio that I don't listen to.

That's when I hear it most and thats what matters most to me, what we the fans call it as opposed to someone sitting in a studio that I don't listen to.

Kids across the country and the world don't listen to your mates. In twenty years time, St James' Park is lost to history.

One of the most batshit things I've read on here in a while :lol:

Kids across the country and the world don't listen to your mates. In twenty years time, St James' Park is lost to history.

Depends how it's done obviously. Boro's ground was the Cellnet Riverside Stadium but everyone just called it The Riverside stadium. For example The Nike St James' park, officially it would be called that on tele etc but I'd imagine most people would just opt for St James' Park.