Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He never planned to seriously invest in the squad or city.

Just wondering, what sort of buyer do you think we could attract if we spent a few years in the lower divisions as you and others seem to think is the only way to go? Personally I think we'd be off the map by then to the big foreign investors, we'd only be able to attract the cheap n' cheerful Barry Moat chancers who wouldn't have the means or the vision to be able to invest in a city.

Some might well prefer supporting a lower division team free of Ashley, and I can get that, but I think the big investors would want to buy a Premier league club.

Point 1 - we cannot attract any buyers at the moment. Because Ashley doesn't want to sell. The key here is making Ashley want to sell. That won't happen as a yo-yo PL club. That's the most important thing here. All the money Wolves have spent - buying the club, investing in the players, stadium etc. so far would've cost the amount it would have taken to purchase the club from Ashley in the first place. You can buy Wolves, invest in them, get promoted and do small stadium improvements all for the money Ashley is asking for a terrible PL team.

Same thing happened to Southampton and Leicester. Both clubs bought in League 1 iirc. But what you had is good catchment areas for fans and talent. Decent stadiums. Premier league heritage and recognition.

Again, smart business people will want to buy something undervalued, at a low then bring it up. Why buy Newcastle for £300m when you can buy Wolves for £45m? £100m to get promoted. £50m on a new stand. £20m on training. Still have money to spend.

You honestly think the selling price will get anywhere near 45 million with Ashley in charge - there is a reason these people went for these clubs and that is Ashley will not budge on his required price. You can argue all day that a spell of two to three years in the Championship would do that - for one, Ashley will just use the premiership money saved the last two years to outspend other clubs in the division like last time and two, there is not a chance in hell he would go down that low at anytime, it's just not the way the fat cunt operates. I really think people are living on a different planet to think this owner will reduce the price to the amounts offered for Wolves, leicester etc. for people to buy the club at such a reduced price. We will see as I think we will be relegated this year but as I said I certainly wouldn't hold your breath. Hear where your coming from but totally disagree with what you're saying - time will tell though.

Go back to point 1. We can't attract any buyers because the price is artificially too high.

I've never said the price will go as low as Wolves but it might go to a reasonable price. NUFC isn't hard to sell. He just wants too much money and is happy to yo-yo.

5 years in the Championship if need be. He'll not sell in the PL in this market.

And get back to the point I was making in answer to that - he won't change that price in the Championship to the level to attract another buyer.

If we stay down and he doesn't get his TV money and SD advertising while having to maintain PL player wages and possibly a lesser stadium crowd, there's a higher chance he will lower his asking price.

Right now, he has everything he wants, making him less inclined to sell up.

Another 40 years of NUFC and the asset stripping until Ashley dies, or 3, 4 seasons in the lower leagues with lower crowds and more protests until he sells up at a more realistic fee? I know I would rather the earlier rebirth.

Just wondering, what sort of buyer do you think we could attract if we spent a few years in the lower divisions as you and others seem to think is the only way to go? Personally I think we'd be off the map by then to the big foreign investors, we'd only be able to attract the cheap n' cheerful Barry Moat chancers who wouldn't have the means or the vision to be able to invest in a city.

Some might well prefer supporting a lower division team free of Ashley, and I can get that, but I think the big investors would want to buy a Premier league club.

Point 1 - we cannot attract any buyers at the moment. Because Ashley doesn't want to sell. The key here is making Ashley want to sell. That won't happen as a yo-yo PL club. That's the most important thing here. All the money Wolves have spent - buying the club, investing in the players, stadium etc. so far would've cost the amount it would have taken to purchase the club from Ashley in the first place. You can buy Wolves, invest in them, get promoted and do small stadium improvements all for the money Ashley is asking for a terrible PL team.

Same thing happened to Southampton and Leicester. Both clubs bought in League 1 iirc. But what you had is good catchment areas for fans and talent. Decent stadiums. Premier league heritage and recognition.

Again, smart business people will want to buy something undervalued, at a low then bring it up. Why buy Newcastle for £300m when you can buy Wolves for £45m? £100m to get promoted. £50m on a new stand. £20m on training. Still have money to spend.

You honestly think the selling price will get anywhere near 45 million with Ashley in charge - there is a reason these people went for these clubs and that is Ashley will not budge on his required price. You can argue all day that a spell of two to three years in the Championship would do that - for one, Ashley will just use the premiership money saved the last two years to outspend other clubs in the division like last time and two, there is not a chance in hell he would go down that low at anytime, it's just not the way the fat cunt operates. I really think people are living on a different planet to think this owner will reduce the price to the amounts offered for Wolves, leicester etc. for people to buy the club at such a reduced price. We will see as I think we will be relegated this year but as I said I certainly wouldn't hold your breath. Hear where your coming from but totally disagree with what you're saying - time will tell though.

Go back to point 1. We can't attract any buyers because the price is artificially too high.

I've never said the price will go as low as Wolves but it might go to a reasonable price. NUFC isn't hard to sell. He just wants too much money and is happy to yo-yo.

5 years in the Championship if need be. He'll not sell in the PL in this market.

He'll make money even in the championship. I wish I could believe it would be different, but he'll always demand a price that is too high to make it a worthwhile purchase, we've seen this previously regardless of which division we are in. The only way he might leave is if the campaign against him turns absolutely militant, that will be a few years off if it ever happens.

A mid table Newcastle United in the championship game would actually have the fans consistently revolt.  We would force him out. We would finally get sub 40k attendances consistently maybe even sub 30k. 

I don’t think the fans will be militant enough while we are in the PL or winning Championship games looking like we’ll get promoted. 

And get back to the point I was making in answer to that - he won't change that price in the Championship to the level to attract another buyer.

We are going around in circles. 

I’m convinced while we are a PL or yo-yo club his asking price will be too high and he doesn’t want to sell. History suggests he’s happy to do this.  I’m also convinced the fans won’t make it toxic enough to force him out while we are in the PL or winning Championship games. Rafa and co. get 40 points the fans will be satisfied. 

I am not convinced he’s happy to maintain NUFC as a midtable Championship club which will have tried to invest for promotion.  I’m even less convinced the fanship will be so docile with a mid table championship club.

We are going around in circles. 

I’m convinced while we are a PL or yo-yo club his asking price will be too high and he doesn’t want to sell. History suggests he’s happy to do this.  I’m also convinced the fans won’t make it toxic enough to force him out while we are in the PL or winning Championship games. Rafa and co. get 40 points the fans will be satisfied. 

I am not convinced he’s happy to maintain NUFC as a midtable Championship club which will have tried to invest for promotion.  I’m even less convinced the fanship will be so docile with a mid table championship club.

As I said we will just have to wait to see you think one thing will happen and I think the opposite - we agree to disagree as they say.

Personally I think it will be a hard rebirth, if he can’t get his money back and he can’t get us back into the PL he will either wind us up or relocate the club and we’ll just be left with a council owned stadium and have to start from the very beginning.

Or alternatively he will sell us cheap to some chancer who accepts various commitments to Ashley that will prevent us from doing well

Also not convinced Ashley would definitely sell if we're in the Championship, or even League One, for X number of years. By that time the devaluation of the club has already happened - e.g. we've gone from being worth £250m+ to <£100m, so why would he sell after he's lost a big chunk of the value? Logically you'd want to sell before you lose that amount (i.e. sell now whilst the risk is high), but we know Ashley isn't interested in selling. So unless there's risks of further relegations resulting in even more loss in value of his asset, he might want want to hold on to the club in the hope that there's a promotion or two in the future, which means the club goes back to being worth £250m+ or possibly more. From a risk-reward perspective, it would make no sense to sell at that stage.

There's also the likelihood that Ashley sees NUFC as still being beneficial to Sports Direct, even in the Championship. He'd gamble on an immediate return initially, but if that doesn't work he'd cut back running costs drastically and operate us as a profitable Championship club which continues to line his/Sports Direct's coffers. He stills gets to imprint the Sports Direct logo on home and visiting away fans every other week, we'd still be on Sky a couple of times a month, we'll still be well supported with fans spending their cash in the club shop, etc etc. It won't be as good for Sports Direct as the club being in the PL as part of his Far East mission for Sports Direct (if that's still an aim), but it will still be beneficial to Sports Direct.

And then there's the problem of who would want to buy NUFC in the Championship (or lower) with Ashley's debt attached, with all kinds of long term contracts tied into using Sports Direct, assets stripped and/or transferred and leased back, etc etc. As James says, probably some chancer. It's all very unpredictable due to how Ashley operates.

Watching the coverage of the events at Leicester has got me thinking if this were to happen to our glorious leader would it be a similar outcome?. The outpouring of grief, would SJP be a bed of flowers and remembrance and books of condolence be open. Would everyone interviewed be singing the guys praises from the rooftops

This is the difference between a guy who cares deeply and is intouch with the community and knows what it means and a greedy capitalist bastard who doesn't give a fuck about anything other than his own ego and money. What a shame we ended up with the latter

Leicester City owner dies - Goodbye England's rose.. Candle in the wind

Newcastle United owner dies - end of Star Wars Episode VI - manic celebrations across different cities.. "Weeez arr FREE". Ghosts of KK, Chris Hughton and Alan Shearer appear next to Rafa Benitez who is hugging Jamal Lascelles.

If Ashley did die I would hope we'd have the class he's never shown, be respectful on the outside but utterly relieved on the inside.

Leave calling him all the things he deserves until later, or just have one big party.

Also not convinced Ashley would definitely sell if we're in the Championship, or even League One, for X number of years. By that time the devaluation of the club has already happened - e.g. we've gone from being worth £250m+ to <£100m, so why would he sell after he's lost a big chunk of the value? Logically you'd want to sell before you lose that amount (i.e. sell now whilst the risk is high), but we know Ashley isn't interested in selling. So unless there's risks of further relegations resulting in even more loss in value of his asset, he might want want to hold on to the club in the hope that there's a promotion or two in the future, which means the club goes back to being worth £250m+ or possibly more. From a risk-reward perspective, it would make no sense to sell at that stage.

There's also the likelihood that Ashley sees NUFC as still being beneficial to Sports Direct, even in the Championship. He'd gamble on an immediate return initially, but if that doesn't work he'd cut back running costs drastically and operate us as a profitable Championship club which continues to line his/Sports Direct's coffers. He stills gets to imprint the Sports Direct logo on home and visiting away fans every other week, we'd still be on Sky a couple of times a month, we'll still be well supported with fans spending their cash in the club shop, etc etc. It won't be as good for Sports Direct as the club being in the PL as part of his Far East mission for Sports Direct (if that's still an aim), but it will still be beneficial to Sports Direct.

And then there's the problem of who would want to buy NUFC in the Championship (or lower) with Ashley's debt attached, with all kinds of long term contracts tied into using Sports Direct, assets stripped and/or transferred and leased back, etc etc. As James says, probably some chancer. It's all very unpredictable due to how Ashley operates.

I believe if we are a proper mid table club in the championship the fans would make it untenable for him to stay.  Mass boycotts, low attendances, demonstrations the works.  This won’t happen while we are a good Championship team or PL club. 

That’s my belief. 

I don’t think our fans will make enough commotion while we have Rafa in the PL.  it’s taken him to take the piss with Rafa for many to realise he’s the cancer at the club.

There’s no way we’ll be a profitable championship club after 3 or 4 seasons. As someone said any attempt to do so will incur further relegation. 

There’s four paths of the club being sold. They may work in conjunction.

1) some rich bastard doesn’t care about the price and buys it overvalued

2) fans make it untenable for him to remain. Too toxic. Bad press. Constant demonstrations.  Very low attendances. 

3) club becomes massively unprofitable and a drain and he decides to cut his losses.

4) he needs the money so sells us

I think a combination of 2 and 3 is most likely. 

The longer we're in the championship the more powerful the fans become.

In the PL it doesn't matter too much how many turn up because the TV money dwarfs every other revenue stream.  After a few seasons in the championship when the parachute payments are gone the fans have a much louder voice as gate receipts become critical.

Watching the coverage of the events at Leicester has got me thinking if this were to happen to our glorious leader would it be a similar outcome?. The outpouring of grief, would SJP be a bed of flowers and remembrance and books of condolence be open. Would everyone interviewed be singing the guys praises from the rooftops

This is the difference between a guy who cares deeply and is intouch with the community and knows what it means and a greedy capitalist bastard who doesn't give a fuck about anything other than his own ego and money. What a shame we ended up with the latter

You are always going to get people flocking to pay their respects, those who don’t think as negatively of him, and those who will think death is a bit too far.

You wouldn’t catch me laying something down at a memorial for him though.

Guest The Little Waster

Sometimes wonder if we’d gotten the go ahead to build a new bigger stadium as was proposed BFC ( before fat cunt ) whether SJH n FS wouldve bothered to sell and we couldve avoided all this shit

If Ashley did die I would hope we'd have the class he's never shown, be respectful on the outside but utterly relieved on the inside.

Leave calling him all the things he deserves until later, or just have one big party.

Fuck that, I'd be dancing in the streets. Be scenes in NE1 similar to when Thatcher died. Be interesting to see what the press would do because they wouldn't find many mourners.