Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

When have you supported through worse than this?

1978-1982 and 1990-1992

What did you do about it at the time?

And to be fair, I was 10 in 1978 so couldn't have cared less how s*** it was as I was a starry eyed kid and just wanted to go to the match.

1990-92 I went home and away every week missing only the odd away game and even though the football was mostly atrocious it was a laugh with mates and was p*ssed most of the time anyway.

But even back then, it was always the hope that kept you going......hope that you'd have a decent cup run, and one day we'd be back in the big league.

There is literally no hope nowadays, especially when Benitez goes at the end of the season.

Exactly, Ashley isn’t even interested in competing as a sporting team. He just wants to advertise his tat. What the team do is secondary at best as long as his gamble of somehow staying in the Premier league pays off.

He’s torn the heart out of the club.

1978-1982 and 1990-1992

And to be fair, I was 10 in 1978 so couldn't have cared less how s*** it was as I was a starry eyed kid and just wanted to go to the match.

1990-92 I went home and away every week missing only the odd away game and even though the football was mostly atrocious it was a laugh with mates and was p*ssed most of the time anyway.

But even back then, it was always the hope that kept you going......hope that you'd have a decent cup run, and one day we'd be back in the big league.

There is literally no hope nowadays, especially when Benitez goes at the end of the season.

Look at the time frames though. 1 x 4 year period and 1 x 2 year. Christ, we've just sat through 11 years of gash with Ashley, with seemingly another 11 on the cards as barely any of the match day fans want to do anything to even try and change it.

Guest firetotheworks

1978-1982 and 1990-1992

And to be fair, I was 10 in 1978 so couldn't have cared less how shit it was as I was a starry eyed kid and just wanted to go to the match.

1990-92 I went home and away every week missing only the odd away game and even though the football was mostly atrocious it was a laugh with mates and was pissed most of the time anyway.

So how was any of that worse then? 4 years and 2 years of being starry eyed and pissed vs 11 years of empty, soulless, hopeless misery.

1978-1982 and 1990-1992

Look at the time frames though. 1 x 4 year period and 1 x 2 year. Christ, we've just sat through 11 years of gash with Ashley, with seemingly another 11 on the cards as barely any of the match day fans want to do anything to even try and change it.

We weren't particularly brilliant between 84 and 89 either mind!

Guest covmag

I have been a supporter since my dad first took me to a game in 1954. There have been hugely disappointing and frustrating periods during those years but they can't be compared to what is happening at the club now.  For what it's worth the current scenario has gutted me more than at any other time.  I don't believe any protests or boycotts will make one jot of difference to Ashley.  He is here for as long as he wants to be and the only thing that would force his hand would be the collapse of SD and the rest of his empire.  I won't buy anything that I think comes through one of his companies but all that does is give me a little personal satisfaction.  Mike Ashley doesn't think 'Bloody hell, Jims not coming into my shop anymore'

Sadly we are lumbered with this guy until he, and only he, decides otherwise

i believe he's selling, just no one will pay the price, he doesn't have to lower it, the club is his.

So he's not selling then?

Yes if someone pays his price, can you not read

1978-1982 and 1990-1992

And to be fair, I was 10 in 1978 so couldn't have cared less how shit it was as I was a starry eyed kid and just wanted to go to the match.

1990-92 I went home and away every week missing only the odd away game and even though the football was mostly atrocious it was a laugh with mates and was pissed most of the time anyway.

So how was any of that worse then? 4 years and 2 years of being starry eyed and pissed vs 11 years of empty, soulless, hopeless misery.

Standard of football was worse and so was the state of the ground (despite the neglect that people keep pointing out now).

Otherwise there isn't a great deal of difference, particularly with the mckeag years where we just looked to survive in the old first division.

Guest firetotheworks

Mike Ashley doesn't think 'Bloody hell, Jims not coming into my shop anymore'

There are so many people with this mindset when it comes to going to matches or not taking part in boycotts that don't seem to realise that if they all did it he absolutely would think 'bloody hell'. I know you're on about shopping at SD but it's the same principle. There's example after example of Ashley massively giving a shit and yet everyone still seems to only think it's relevant if he immediately sells the club, completely ignoring that it's a part by part process to get there.

First went in early 70s, season ticket holder 80s and 90s , ad-hoc match goer until 2010-  although the team and players are better now than in some of those years- The feeling about the clubs direction is the worse for me.  Always thought even in the Mckeag years, the club always had the ambition to be the best it could, even if they fucked it up and it turned to shit never felt like it was done deliberately- there was always some hope.

I can remember the days I was an ardent match goer and walked past a Boycott, Leeds 89 Quinns debut- cos I wanted to - well see the match on a Saturday afternoon, so I do have an understanding of what the continue to support fans mindset is.

Guest firetotheworks

I have been a supporter since my dad first took me to a game in 1954. There have been hugely disappointing and frustrating periods during those years but they can't be compared to what is happening at the club now.  For what it's worth the current scenario has gutted me more than at any other time.  I don't believe any protests or boycotts will make one jot of difference to Ashley.  He is here for as long as he wants to be and the only thing that would force his hand would be the collapse of SD and the rest of his empire.  I won't buy anything that I think comes through one of his companies but all that does is give me a little personal satisfaction.  Mike Ashley doesn't think 'Bloody hell, Jims not coming into my shop anymore'

i believe he's selling, just no one will pay the price, he doesn't have to lower it, the club is his.

You know what he means. No one's willing to pay his asking price therefore it's for sale in the same way that my house valued at £200k is for sale for £350k.

Guest firetotheworks

1978-1982 and 1990-1992

Standard of football was worse and so was the state of the ground (despite the neglect that people keep pointing out now).

Otherwise there isn't a great deal of difference, particularly with the mckeag years where we just looked to survive in the old first division.

Quality of football and the state of the grounds are probably relative across the board tbh, even when you see highlights of Liverpool from that era the quality of football looks poor by today's standards and all the grounds look like shit tips.

1978-1982 and 1990-1992

Quality of football and the state of the grounds are probably relative across the board tbh, even when you see highlights of Liverpool from that era the quality of football looks poor by today's standards and all the grounds look like shit tips.

players wern't the same athletes they are, pitches were much heavier going.

1978-1982 and 1990-1992

True most grounds look like shit tips compared to now, but other than the  east stand sjp was shocking compared to other places even in so much as there not being something as simple as a corrugated roof to keep people dry.

Even places like Plough lane and The Manor Ground which were absolute pig sty's for away fans had a covered end for their home fans.

Guest covmag

You know what he means. No one's willing to pay his asking price therefore it's for sale in the same way that my house valued at £200k is for sale for £350k.

He doesn’t need to sell it if no one meets his price, however it is for sale, we know fuck all about the finance of these deals in truth so pointless speculating, however like I said meet his price and it’s a deal.

Till then we go round in circles arguing amongst ourselves while he laughs at us. :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

He doesn’t need to sell it if no one meets his price, however it is for sale, we know fuck all about the finance of these deals in truth so pointless speculating, however like I said meet his price and it’s a deal.

Till then we go round in circles arguing amongst ourselves while he laughs at us. :lol:

Of course, but I don't think you can deny that the asking price is making that possibility far less likely and is why it's viewed as not really being for sale.

Ok then, it's for sale at a price which is high enough to ensure no one will buy it. Get in there!

Saying 'he doesn't give a shit' is both wrong and misses the whole point of protests imo.

The point of protests are about atmosphere and enabling. Just like how the SackPardew stuff made it easier for Pards to take the Palace job. Pardew was never gonna say "okay, you hate me, I'll resign." The reason why he left was because Crystal Palace made him an offer. But the protests made it a damn sight easier for him to accept it.

The same should apply for Ashley. Prospective buyers will make offers. Constant, militant, financial protest makes it easier for him to accept one.

Guest covmag

Of course, but I don't think you can deny that the asking price is making that possibility far less likely and is why it's viewed as not really being for sale.

We don’t know the finances and how they work in truth, it’s just snippets from the media.I do believe he has the right to get the price he wants, he’s a businessman and I can’t see him changing....we are all just guessing.

Guest firetotheworks

We don’t know the finances and how they work in truth, it’s just snippets from the media.I do believe he has the right to get the price he wants, he’s a businessman and I can’t see him changing....we are all just guessing.

Not necessarily.

Guest chopey

By the end of this season we'll have made £250 million off Sky Not to mention sponsors, tickets, corporate, merchandise ect, in the past two years alone without spending a penny on transfers......................fucks that money gone like ?

It may seem a high price, but it's about 4 x net profit plus his interest free loan repaid so it's about right, even if we (probably correctly) think no one will pay it.

Guest alijmitchell

Is the long term answer to develop power through union-style tactics? Memberships and boycott action to be balloted on with everyone voting?