Various: Mike Ashley in talks with Sheikh Khaled bin Zayed Al Nehayan

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

In 3 weeks time it will be 10 years since I set foot in SJP for a football game where I supported NUFC (3 Rugby games and the Northumberland Senior Cup final doesn't count as I was in the Morpeth Town camp that day).

Had cancelled my season ticket at the start of that season after Keegan left and Kinnear was installed. Was travelling up from Leeds for every home game and the box office amazingly swalloed a bull story about being moved further south allowing me to cancel a few games into the season. They must have been a bit suspicious as I initially explained the real reason for wanting to cancel.... Continued to buy the odd ticket when back in Toon and the 1-1 derby against the mackems (Taylor dying swan pen game) and the end of that awful transfer window I decided that was it.

For me it was obvious at that point Ashley had no intention of investing the funds we as fans put into the club and I have vowed never to put money into the club whilst he owned it. Never thought he would still be here 10 years later. For something you devoted your life to previously it is heartbreaking but I've not missed it as much as I thought but I will still renew the season ticket when that odious man goes.

So many stories on here that are following the same theme of "enough is finally enough" and I wont be renewing etc...

I think I will renew next season regardless and here is why:

I started going to the match regularly in the early 80's, mostly with my friends from school and we would roll up to the Gallowgate turnstyles quite early to queue for a pay on the door entry.  Around the early 90's a friend of mine got a job as a match day steward and if we turned up to his gate around 3:10 he would open it up and we could all get in for free, this was in the Milburn Paddock.  All of the time the stadium was being redeveloped and various areas were being closed while the building work took place but, we always found a way to get in, either paying on a gate that was open of getting in through my mate and his hooky behavior.

Not sure exactly what season it was but, it was early in the Keegan reign, we started to be told that if we didn't buy a season ticket we would not be able to get in because the ground was selling out.  Back then a ticket for me would have been about 100quid for the season, maybe a little less but, we just ignored the warnings until the day we turned up and there were no turnstyles operating and we couldn't get in.  I then missed loads of matches when we were great - although I was able to get tickets for many of the great games.  It gutted me and still does to know that I missed hundreds of games back when Newcastle were fantastic.

I did put myself of the waiting list and eventually got a ticket in the East Stand, I didn't renew for one season during the Pardew days and I can honestly say that I missed the football immensely - even though we were rubbish and ultimately were relegated.  I got a new ticket the season following when we were in the Championship and Rafa stayed on, I was able to get the seats just along the same row as the location of my original seats so it feels like I never left.

So, my fear is that I chuck in my tickets now something good will happen, Ashey will sell and a great owner comes along and I will miss great football again because I cannot get a seat.  I know it is unlikely and I am really kidding myself if I think it is happening soon but, that is how it is inside my head.  I am over 50 years old and have supported Newcastle all my life, as ambiguous as I am towards the current team, win or lose / score or don't score, it all feels the same, I don't think I could stop myself from wanting to be there.

Does that make me part of the problem, possibly but, I do not think that match day revenue is such a big part of the NUFC cash cow empire.  I agree that empty seats will send a huge message out to the owner but, if he is really driven by money then the gate money will barely scratch the surface.

Pretty sure I will be slated for this opinion but, this is how it is for me and I would bet thousands of others who know they are going to renew but, are a little but scared of being barracked on here for admitting it and called out for being weak or part of the problem, I think you all call them sheep or worse....

So many stories on here that are following the same theme of "enough is finally enough" and I wont be renewing etc...

I started going to the match regularly in the early 80's, mostly with my friends from school and we would roll up to the Gallowgate turnstyles quite early to queue for a pay on the door entry.  Around the early 90's a friend of mine got a job as a match day steward and if we turned up to his gate around 3:10 he would open it up and we could all get in for free, this was in the Milburn Paddock.  All of the time the stadium was being redeveloped and various areas were being closed while the building work took place but, we always found a way to get in, either paying on a gate that was open of getting in through my mate and his hooky behavior.

Not sure exactly what season it was but, it was early in the Keegan reign, we started to be told that if we didn't buy a season ticket we would not be able to get in because the ground was selling out.  Back then a ticket for me would have been about 100quid for the season, maybe a little less but, we just ignored the warnings until the day we turned up and there were no turnstyles operating and we couldn't get in.  I then missed loads of matches when we were great - although I was able to get tickets for many of the great games.  It gutted me and still does to know that I missed hundreds of games back when Newcastle were fantastic.

I did put myself of the waiting list and eventually got a ticket in the East Stand, I didn't renew for one season during the Pardew days and I can honestly say that I missed the football immensely - even though we were rubbish and ultimately were relegated.  I got a new ticket the season following when we were in the Championship and Rafa stayed on, I was able to get the seats just along the same row as the location of my original seats so it feels like I never left.

So, my fear is that I chuck in my tickets now something good will happen, Ashey will sell and a great owner comes along and I will miss great football again because I cannot get a seat.  I know it is unlikely and I am really kidding myself if I think it is happening soon but, that is how it is inside my head.  I am over 50 years old and have supported Newcastle all my life, as ambiguous as I am towards the current team, win or lose / score or don't score, it all feels the same, I don't think I could stop myself from wanting to be there.

Does that make me part of the problem, possibly but, I do not think that match day revenue is such a big part of the NUFC cash cow empire.  I agree that empty seats will send a huge message out to the owner but, if he is really driven by money then the gate money will barely scratch the surface.

Pretty sure I will be slated for this opinion but, this is how it is for me and I would bet thousands of others who know they are going to renew but, are a little but scared of being barracked on here for admitting it and called out for being weak or part of the problem, I think you all call them sheep or worse....

You'll be able to get your seat back.  Don't kid yourself you wont be able to.

I gave mine up in August and haven't looked back.  Genuinely miss catching up with mates on a match day, but I've lost 2 stone since giving up the match day booze and find myself enjoying my Saturdays much more without being depressed about the whole situation.

Would you join in a boycott though, or do you think it's pointless?

11 years and still deluded.  Your welcome to mike ashley.

If you think that everyone will chuck their tickets in and not turn up if he stays then you are also deluded.  I was just giving an alternative opinion, I expected to be criticised for it but, I know that I am not alone.

That is a great question, I thought the 11 minute walk in was pointless and had no intention of ever taking part in that but, I was seriously considering the Wolves boycott.  If another boycott was planned I would easily be able to miss a game as long as the boycott was planned properly and had majority support behind it.  If only a few people take part then it is a waste of everyones time!

Guest covmag

You answered it at the end, it’s why he’s still here.

Guest neesy111

If you think that everyone will chuck their tickets in and not turn up if he stays then you are also deluded.  I was just giving an alternative opinion, I expected to be criticised for it but, I know that I am not alone.

I don't expect that,  but I do expect people who don't like the way the club is ran to actually do something about it.  But you came on here and gave a load of reasons which are weak at best, using not being able to get your ticket back is the lamest excuse I've heard of yet.

Guest chopey

The only reason I renewed this year was my fear of been taken over and then losing out on my ticket for the good times after 11 years of shit under Ashley, I won't make that mistake again

Fool me 11 times shame on you fool me 12 times shame on me .

Guest neesy111

I'm sick of many newcastle fans who moan on and on about ashley etc and then happily sign on for another year without even thinking about it, because that tells me they enjoy it.

I don't expect that.  But you came on here and gave a load of reasons which are not strawman at best, using not being able to get your ticket back is the lamest excuse I've heard off yet.

Take your point, that is fair but, I have experienced that exact scenario in the past. Very different times I know but, having done it once I feel like I shouldn't repeat the same mistake.

I agree that the likelihood of not being able to get a ticket for any future games is remote.

I sit next to a couple of older blokes who have had the same seats for 36 seasons, when I talk to them about boycotts or walk ins they just look at me like I am stupid, they have no intention of ever not going to the match.  You have to accept that this forum represents a very thin slice of our fanbase and everyone will have a different take on the current situation.  Many will be absolutely oblivious to anything being wrong at all....

That is a great question, I thought the 11 minute walk in was pointless and had no intention of ever taking part in that but, I was seriously considering the Wolves boycott.  If another boycott was planned I would easily be able to miss a game as long as the boycott was planned properly and had majority support behind it.  If only a few people take part then it is a waste of everyones time!

How would you know that the majority support it? That's the problem, too many fans saying "well I doubt anyone else will do it so neither will I".

Just take the risk, miss a game (you won't lose your seat).

If you truly feel that fans in the ground won't get involved then personally I feel those fans are welcome to the club. Deserve everything they get.

@ Shearergol

A boycott needs to be organized properly, I think the leaflet distribution for the last one was a great try but, the number of them that were discarded should have given an indication of the level of support for such an event.

It took just one person in a tweet saying it shouldn't happen for the whole thing to collapse.

I think it is fair to say that this month is pivotal to everyone, if we have the sort of month that I am expecting then I think you will find appetite to protest growing in a much larger number of supporters. 

Try to set up a new schedule of protests at the end of January and watch the levels of support rise.  As soon as people realize that Rafa is leaving and Ashley is staying there will be some real anger starting to well up!

Guest neesy111

Don’t get anything do we? Just can’t give it up because we’re football fans.

I've given up any type of financial support.

While he's here I barely care about the teams performance. Once Rafa leaves, I won't care at all.

:thup:

Once this season is over, I really won't care at all what division we are playing in etc.

The only reason I renewed this year was my fear of been taken over and then losing out on my ticket for the good times after 11 years of shit under Ashley, I won't make that mistake again

Fool me 11 times shame on you fool me 12 times shame on me .

This made me chuckle. That's like my position with my ex-girlfriend.

Guest covmag

@ Shearergol

A boycott needs to be organized properly, I think the leaflet distribution for the last one was a great try but, the number of them that were discarded should have given an indication of the level of support for such an event.

It took just one person in a tweet saying it shouldn't happen for the whole thing to collapse.

I think it is fair to say that this month is pivotal to everyone, if we have the sort of month that I am expecting then I think you will find appetite to protest growing in a much larger number of supporters. 

Try to set up a new schedule of protests at the end of January and watch the levels of support rise.  As soon as people realize that Rafa is leaving and Ashley is staying there will be some real anger starting to well up!

Mate if you are sick to the back teeth just stop going, what enjoyment are you getting? Like you I’ve paid this season, stupid, but not next time unless he goes, Ive stopped attending home games .

I enjoyed going to last nights away game, I felt it was us again, the fans, I don’t get that at home games anymore under Ashley, it’s a fucking miserable experience tbh.

I’m trying to say don’t be afraid of giving it up, you can still get to the match if he goes, you are in a habit.

Up to you, I don’t like preaching to others so you will do what you want and that’s 100% fair enough  O0

I respect anyone who has gone week in week out for 5/10/30/60 years - thick and thin etc. Ashley doesn't he is only interested in the time your next going to put best part of a grand into one of his setups whether that is NUFC, SD or whatever he is gobbling up. The stories, heritage, achievements of the past count for dick whilst this tyrant strangles us.

So yes its sad we have to question ourselves like this and talk wrecking our own commendable track records but when it comes down to brass tacks it defies any objective logic to keep doing it after endless false dawns and deliberately broken promises. He's laughing at NUFC fans but especially the ones talking war whilst giving him money and I mean that with the greatest of goodwill for those with their hearts in the right place. Tough love is needed at NUFC.

Neesy, you must understand that your aggressive stance on it is also part of the problem. People don't like being told what to do. Especially not people who have been supporting the club for a lot longer than you have.

I personally will still be going to games, not because I like supporting Mike Ashley, but because I like supporting Newcastle United and watching my team play on a weekend. I don't see why that is so hard to grasp for some of you on here. I have zero desire to stop going. I don't always enjoy it, but I've supported them through arguably much tougher times than these. I would argue that fans not going to the game and not having their matchday routines / meetups causes more harm to that supporter's happiness. It's just in the blood. We don't want to have to stop going. We shouldn't have to stop going.

I will (and have), however, 100% support any protest action that Ashley actually cares about... i.e. the protest action against Sports Direct and his other companies. Social media campaigns damaging his brand and their ability to function. That is, in my opinion, where The Magpie Group, IfRafaGoesWeGo, AshleyOut etc were having the most success. That is what sparked the Keith Bishop PR train, and that's what everyone should be focusing on. The Magpie Group (and other groups) took their eyes off the prize in that sense and started focusing on a boycott and walk-in that there is nearly zero appetite for.

I personally don't believe Ashley would care one iota if 10,000 people didn't show up to a premier league game. I think you're incredibly naive if you think that he would. He cares about his company. Nothing else.

(And no, before you say anything, I DON'T personally believe his decision to spend some money in the McClaren summer had anything at all to do with the Tottenham boycott.)

Guest firetotheworks

pinkeye and Shadow Puppets are just two examples of why boycotts and walk-ins are a waste of time at the moment. There are far too many Zombies just turning up no matter what, not even enjoying it, giving themselves the weakest of weak excuses to tell themselves they should carry on paying Ashley money and for some reason thinking that all of these walk ins, boycotts etc need to be done by others and served to them on a silver platter as if they're not part of the same group of fans that all want Ashley out but aren't willing to sacrifice a single thing to do it. The amount of times I've read people talk about their support as if they're being depicted in a Hovis advert is ridiculous - there's no nobility in funding the club's destruction. Not only that, many will almost revel in proclaiming that everything that TMG and the likes organise won't make any difference and therefore they won't take part, only to then jeer our players and leave early. So they're actually at the point where leaving early to beat the traffic or because we're shite is more important to them than making even the smallest amount of effort to tell Ashley to fuck off. 

I'm not even necessarily criticising, it's just how it is and I've accepted that they're not worth the energy. A huge amount of our fans are a lost cause and it's really sad that you get far more passion and willingness to stick it to Ashley from our London Magpie Group - collectively as a set of fans we should be thoroughly ashamed, we stand for absolutely nothing.

Guest neesy111

pinkeye and Shadow Puppets are just two examples of why boycotts and walk-ins are a waste of time at the moment. There are far too many Zombies just turning up no matter what, not even enjoying it, giving themselves the weakest of weak excuses to tell themselves they should carry on paying Ashley money and for some reason thinking that all of these walk ins, boycotts etc need to be done by others and served to them on a silver platter as if they're not part of the same group of fans that all want Ashley out but aren't willing to sacrifice a single thing to do it. The amount of times I've read people talk about their support as if they're being depicted in a Hovis advert is ridiculous - there's no nobility in funding the club's destruction. Not only that, many will almost revel in proclaiming that everything that TMG and the likes organise won't make any difference and therefore they won't take part, only to then jeer our players and leave early. So they're actually at the point where leaving early to beat the traffic or because we're shite is more important to them than making even the smallest amount of effort to tell Ashley to fuck off. 

I'm not even necessarily criticising, it's just how it is and I've accepted that they're not worth the energy. A huge amount of our fans are a lost cause and it's really sad that you get far more passion and willingness to stick it to Ashley from our London Magpie Group - collectively as a set of fans we should be thoroughly ashamed, we stand for absolutely nothing.

:thup:

Guest covmag

Neesy, you must understand that your aggressive stance on it is also part of the problem. People don't like being told what to do. Especially not people who have been supporting the club for a lot longer than you have.

I personally will still be going to games, not because I like supporting Mike Ashley, but because I like supporting Newcastle United and watching my team play on a weekend. I don't see why that is so hard to grasp for some of you on here. I have zero desire to stop going. I don't always enjoy it, but I've supported them through arguably much tougher times than these. I would argue that fans not going to the game and not having their matchday routines / meetups causes more harm to that supporter's happiness. It's just in the blood. We don't want to have to stop going. We shouldn't have to stop going.

I will (and have), however, 100% support any protest action that Ashley actually cares about... i.e. the protest action against Sports Direct and his other companies. Social media campaigns damaging his brand and their ability to function. That is, in my opinion, where The Magpie Group, IfRafaGoesWeGo, AshleyOut etc were having the most success. That is what sparked the Keith Bishop PR train, and that's what everyone should be focusing on. The Magpie Group (and other groups) took their eyes off the prize in that sense and started focusing on a boycott and walk-in that there is nearly zero appetite for.

I personally don't believe Ashley would care one iota if 10,000 people didn't show up to a premier league game. I think you're incredibly naive if you think that he would. He cares about his company. Nothing else.

(And no, before you say anything, I DON'T personally believe his decision to spend some money in the McClaren summer had anything at all to do with the Tottenham boycott.)

But by going you ARE supporting Ashley, simple as that.

Lies , lies, lies every fucking time from him, every fucking year, im not happy to support that but yes I get you support NEWCASTLE UNITED first , I can never give that up but he will not get a penny from me now .

People do talk as if people who abstain don't enjoy aspects of/want to be going. I like sitting in the stands with my dad and my brother having a laugh and a pint and a curry afterwards but I don't need to pay towards the active decline of club to do some of those things or like them enough not to see my pounds in his his arse pocket is a simple vindication. I'm hesitant to call people pejorative tags but it does make us look like we lack principles. 'It's my team...' doesn't make sense anymore.

@ Shearergol

This month is as pivotal as summer was. As January before that, and summer before that. And the previous 8 1/2 years before that.

We're always waiting for something to change, hoping, crossing fingers, thinking "he MUST see it soon, right?". Well no. What you're going to find is Rafa walking away, half of the SJP fans breathing a sigh of relief that we might start playing 2 up front, the other half wondering what sort of football Rodgers or Hughes will try. All with the thought "Mike will back this guy, he's seen what happens when he doesn't".

You think protests and discontent will start ramping up in February? Really? The worst (best) we'll see is fans in the ground booing Rafa and Perez after another 1-0 loss.