Burnley 1-0 Newcastle United - 30/10/17 - post match whinging from p27

BlueStar

I thought we played a decent controlled game last night but maybe lost control for 10 mins which eventually hurt us.  I'm really not sure what people expect when we have very little cutting edge.  I think with what we have and Rafa has to work with, we are doing well.

Spot on, but there is a reluctance from some to accept this.

Its crazy.

Manquillo was our weak link the whole match, it's no surprise that he played a big part in costing us that goal. There's no way Burnley player should have been able to slide a pass in when he was up against Manquillo- poor defensively from him (again).

Jesus Gamez, please.

The Palace game to this. Two of the worst games I have seen in a long time. I guess Burnley fans will feel like we did last weekend. Horrendous game of football, made better after sneaking an undeserved 1-0 win with a late goal.

Sky will surely stop picking us soon? We have served up some brutally shit performances so far.

You have a very short memory of that is the case.

People have already forgotten how bad it was under Pardew etc.

Fuck all to do with a short memory. It is just we have played two negative teams, were both managers have been cautious as fuck.

I am not saying this is the worst NUFC team in recent years or anything. Or massively digging out Rafa. I’m just highlighting, that as a fan of either club, or a neutral. These last two games have been woeful in terms of incidents, shots on target, decent football played etc.

At least under the former clowns there was usually some comedy value, or the other team scoring a few :lol:

At least under the former clowns there was usually some comedy value, or the other team scoring a few :lol:

Oh right, yep. Let's bring Pardew back so we can laugh at our embarrassment of a team concede a few goals again and completely fold away to the likes of Palace/Southampton etc.

We've got an actual team now who work hard for each other and have become really hard to beat. Burnley will be delighted with that 3 points last night and they'll know it was one of those games that was always going to be won by 1 goal.

We've only lost 2 games out of the last 8. Replicate that form season long and we will comfortably stay up, without being involved in a relegation battle.

That's the ultimate goal this season - a comfortable survival.

Rafa's brilliant work to get a good start under our belts has seen many fans get carried away as usual and think we should be rocking up to Burnley 4-4-2 Mitro and Gayle taking the game to them.

Trust our manager, he's the best thing we've had since Robson and we'd be completely fucked without him. Please just imagine the championship last season with Pardew/Carver/Kinnear in charge  :)

A comfortable survival + a takeover this season is what every fan should be optimistic of - not slating the team/manager after a narrow loss at Burnley (who have started the season very well also btw)

The Palace game to this. Two of the worst games I have seen in a long time. I guess Burnley fans will feel like we did last weekend. Horrendous game of football, made better after sneaking an undeserved 1-0 win with a late goal.

Sky will surely stop picking us soon? We have served up some brutally shit performances so far.

You have a very short memory of that is the case.

People have already forgotten how bad it was under Pardew etc.

Fuck all to do with a short memory. It is just we have played two negative teams, were both managers have been cautious as fuck.

I am not saying this is the worst NUFC team in recent years or anything. Or massively digging out Rafa. I’m just highlighting, that as a fan of either club, or a neutral. These last two games have been woeful in terms of incidents, shots on target, decent football played etc.

Aye, fuck this top half finish and best start in 5 years - lets worry about what the neutral might think and rollback to the Pardew years so we can lose 5-0.

Manquillo was our weak link the whole match, it's no surprise that he played a big part in costing us that goal. There's no way Burnley player should have been able to slide a pass in when he was up against Manquillo- poor defensively from him (again).

Jesus Gamez, please.

Tend to agree, just a question of stamina with Gamez I guess.

I don't think we were a great deal more positive or expansive in the away games versus Swansea & So'ton, where we did pick up points.  To be honest this was our gameplan in a lot of away games last season in an inferior division as well.

I'm cool with it tbh, Rafa wants the team to be compact and solid before anything else.  If you look at the state of our options in some positions I don't blame him.  Desperate for a new AM/ST/LB/GK, probably in that order.

I thought we played a decent controlled game last night but maybe lost control for 10 mins which eventually hurt us.  I'm really not sure what people expect when we have very little cutting edge.  I think with what we have and Rafa has to work with, we are doing well.

There really isn't. People are just commenting on what they see before them. It's how a messageboard works.

Complaining that Perez is weak as piss and gives the ball away, or that Elliott makes a stupid decision coming for a cross and getting nowhere near it, or that Joselu does fuck all; none of that is stating that we should be playing like Man City.

Most of the negativity about the match/players is followed up with "Rafa is a genius".

Even those questioning the tactics last night are just asking the question "could we do anything differently given than our front two are completely useless?"

There's no point in this forum if you just want people to accept that we've got a shit squad so 1-0 losses to Burnley should be expected.

If you look at the teams that have lost to Burnley over the past few years, yesterday is no major crime.

Rafa would have wanted to win and perhaps we may have done if we played the game again under the same conditions.

We have been competitive on every single game this season and have one of the best defences in the land. Days like yesterday will happen again this season - what else do you expect from a newly promoted club?

But in the end if we keep doing what we have done so far this season, our losses will be far outweighed by our results.

Yes. That is exactly what I am saying lads. I don’t want Rafa, I want a relegation scrap and I want Pardew back.

I merely commented on how dreadful the last two games of football were. When there were about 2-3 highlights of note in each game and the lynch mob are out in force.

Not like this place to overreact off the back of a throwaway comment.

Weird cunts.

I couldn’t care less if every game this season is as shit as the last two, as long as it keeps us in this league with Rafa as the manager and we can stabilise ourselves ahead of kicking on next year.

Couldn’t give two shits how many highlights there were, if MOTD had us on last or the neutral was disgusted with us - we’re picking up points and that is all we need at this stage.

While Rafa has certainly made St James' Park a fortress with only 1 defeat, our away form hasn't showed much improvement in the PL.

vdrvC1a.png

Almost looks like that pic of the mackems home form

Rafa started at the Leicester game.  I mean is better but..

wey to be fair this squad is worse than the one that played the rest of the games there

There really isn't. People are just commenting on what they see before them. It's how a messageboard works.

Complaining that Perez is weak as piss and gives the ball away, or that Elliott makes a stupid decision coming for a cross and getting nowhere near it, or that Joselu does fuck all; none of that is stating that we should be playing like Man City.

Most of the negativity about the match/players is followed up with "Rafa is a genius".

Even those questioning the tactics last night are just asking the question "could we do anything differently given than our front two are completely useless?"

There's no point in this forum if you just want people to accept that we've got a shit squad so 1-0 losses to Burnley should be expected.

You’ve managed to miss the point entirely and talk about something else. Nobody is saying a 1-0 loss to Butnley should be expected, what we’re saying is that Rafa is playing to the limited strengths of our squad and if we attempted to play in a different way, we’d have less points on the board.

Aye, I thought we looked more comfortable on the ball than we have in many games this season. Brighton, Huddersfield, Palace we were sloppy.

We know our front 4 are not good enough, and our 2 forwards are the worst in the league, until that’s sorted we’re going to look limp as fuck up top. It’s been no different to any other game this season other than West Ham and Stoke.

The rest of the team were fine imo. Solid and unspectacular.

You’ve managed to miss the point entirely and talk about something else. Nobody is saying a 1-0 loss to Butnley should be expected, what we’re saying is that Rafa is playing to the limited strengths of our squad and if we attempted to play in a different way, we’d have less points on the board.

I'm responding to this:

I'm really not sure what people expect when we have very little cutting edge.

What people expect is to try something else, rather than leaving Joselu, Perez and Diame on the pitch. It's not criticising the overall plan, it's talking about the game at the time.

Very much agree.

We do play some decent football at times. It's really a marked improvement how we move the ball up the pitch. It's done with intelligence and purpose. Our efforts are very much hurt by not really presenting a danger in the box.

npw..

Guest neesy111

While Rafa has certainly made St James' Park a fortress with only 1 defeat, our away form hasn't showed much improvement in the PL.

vdrvC1a.png

Almost looks like that pic of the mackems home form

Rafa started at the Leicester game.  I mean is better but..

wey to be fair this squad is worse than the one that played the rest of the games there

It's improved a bit, but we've had a very good fixture list so far this season.

I thought that Burnley were gathering a head of steam for a good part in the second half leading to their goal. We were awful in bringing the ball out and the first sign of pressure the ball was back to elliot who booted it back to them.

Worst game I have seen from us in a while.

Up front we are appalling at the moment, there is absolutely no spark or creation from the front players. Didn´t help that both wingers had an off game.

Aye, we can say that the front two put in a shift, but you expect more from a forward in one of the top leagues in the world! We may as well get a couple of marathon runners in at Nº9 & Nº10 and they will press even better... Hhhhmmm. Not satisfied at all.

Ayoze has turned from being an outstanding talent into a faded caricature of a player.

In defence we're OK.  Clark, Lascelles, Lejeune and Mbemba isn't a bad set to pick from considering.  It's in attack where we're sorely lacking quality and imo its not a coincidence that attack is generally the most costly area to strengthen.

Guest Howaythetoon

We can be as hard to beat as can be, but with toothless forwards in Joselu and Perez up front we are always going to struggle to score. A takeover can't come quick enough because we badly need some quality up there. Still 9th though and we were solid enough throughout, a 0-0 draw would have been about right.

We can be as hard to beat as can be, but with toothless forwards in Joselu and Perez up front we are always going to struggle to score. A takeover can't come quick enough because we badly need some quality up there. Still 9th though and we were solid enough throughout, a 0-0 draw would have been about right.

Aye, it only takes one fuck up, like Perez made last night for the plan to fall to pieces. Rafa needs to take a closer look at his front two and make some changes, it's not working and the rest of the team isn't chipping in either with enough, despite his assists, Ritchie has shown nothing in front of goal himself, Atsu's end product has been poor most of the season, Shelvey hasn't popped up with the odd goal like he was doing last season. We need much more of a goal threat, because we are too easy to defend against right now.

We normally face sides who come at us this was the issue. Burnley were organised at the back and waited for us to make a move before countering us which is what we do. So we looked even more toothless than usual, as we couldn't break through them so relied upon Yedlin overlapping who crossed to no one. Ritchie and Atsu had no space to move into as it was all very confined.

The goal came from us attacking, the game was heading for 0-0. Burnley have only scored one or none in their last 9 league games, so the way they play is clear to see.

As Rafa said, we made the error and they didn't. Both teams set up similarly in games. We missed a key player, they missed their striker. That's about it, was an even game.