Burnley 1-0 Newcastle United - 30/10/17 - post match whinging from p27

BlueStar

I think all of our poxy away defeats this season are simply down to us not having that many good players. Three of our four victories have come from set piece winners, and the rest of the game we've been dogged and organised.

Make a big mistake - whether it's Elliot not getting down fast enough or Merino not getting a tackle in or Perez being bullied off the ball: we get punished. Get a few set pieces: maybes we get something out of the game.

Those are the margins and that's why all of our games, aside from West Ham who were f***ing terrible, have been either drawn or won/lost by one goal.

Fundamentally, we don't have the personnel to take games by the scruff of the neck and win comfortably. Nor do we have the personnel to keep that defensive rigidity game upon game upon game.

We're a Championship outfit with a terrific manager and an excellent team spirit. It'll probably bottom-out at mid-table, which is where we are.

Spot on

I think all of our poxy away defeats this season are simply down to us not having that many good players. Three of our four victories have come from set piece winners, and the rest of the games we've picked up points in, we've been dogged and organised.

Make a big mistake - whether it's Elliot not getting down fast enough or Merino not getting a tackle in or Perez being bullied off the ball: we get punished. Get a few set pieces: maybes we get something out of the game.

Those are the margins and that's why all of our games, aside from West Ham who were fucking terrible, have been either drawn or won/lost by one goal.

Fundamentally, we don't have the personnel to take games by the scruff of the neck and win comfortably. Nor do we have the personnel to keep that defensive rigidity game upon game upon game.

We're a Championship outfit with a terrific manager and an excellent team spirit. It'll probably bottom-out at mid-table, which is where we are.

Essentially yes.

There's no overreacting, like.

Yes Burnley are hard to break down but they're not f***ing Man City. We were absolutely toothless. Forgot Ritchie was playing until he got taken off.

No overreacting.

Immediate overreaction about Ritchie's performance.

[emoji38]

Nah.

There's a lot of expectation on him to be one of our most creative outlets and he was nowhere near tonight.

Okay then, you forgot Ritchie was playing.

Tbf it's just figurative of saying someone was anonymous isn't it. Which could be argued and we are more importantly utterly toothless.

Rafa:

- Even game - a game we were controlling, one goal to win it or lose it.

- Gave the ball away too easy in the middle for their goal.

- Two teams knew what they had to do, just small details between us.

- Not precise enough and need to improve upon it.

- 'We know our strengths and weaknesses' - when asked about our attacking threats.

Rafa:

- 'We know our strengths and weaknesses' - when asked about our attacking threats.

That’ll confuse some people on here like, all of that sense.

:lol: Elliot’s fault for the goal, again, shock.

Wasn't at fault for the goal at all, and even if he'd been on the line I doubt he'd have saved it anyway.

He was still awful all match though.

Awful all match? Feels like I'm watching a different game sometimes  :lol:

There's no overreacting, like.

Yes Burnley are hard to break down but they're not f***ing Man City. We were absolutely toothless. Forgot Ritchie was playing until he got taken off.

No overreacting.

Immediate overreaction about Ritchie's performance.

[emoji38]

Nah.

There's a lot of expectation on him to be one of our most creative outlets and he was nowhere near tonight.

Okay then, you forgot Ritchie was playing.

Tbf it's just figurative of saying someone was anonymous isn't it. Which could be argued and we are more importantly utterly toothless.

Thank you.  :lol:

Rafa:

Can't argue with that.  He knows the limitations of the squad and how he has to balance the meagre resources that he has.

Love Rafa but i think his tactics and team selection cost us tonight.  Didn't agree with starting Diame or his decision to leave Mitrovic out of the picture.  And in hindsight (i know!) maybe Clark would've been a better selection than Lejuene, i think Clark would've handled Barnes a lot better.  The thing that annoyed me though was that for about 10 minutes before the goal you could see we were losing our grip on the game and Rafa didn't react.  Diame, Atsu, Joselu and Perez were all clearly fading and he shoud've taken at least one of them off.  Even his subs were poor and had little effect, which is no surprise as Burnley knew how to see the game out and limited us without any major scares. 

Don't want to sound like i'm having too much of a go at Rafa cos he gets it right more than he gets it wrong but i think he could've definitely set us up better tonight. 

Elliott - Coped well under quite a bit of pressure apart from one dodgy kick.

Yedlin - Not too many problems at the back but wasteful going forward.

Lascelles - No problems as Burley chose to put Barnes on Lejeune instead of him.

Lejuene - Had a good battle with Barnes but came out 2nd best.

Manquillo - Did ok not much to say.

Diame - Ok in the 1st half. Ran out of steam as usual though.  Should only ever be a sub.

Shelvey - Used the ball well and our best player.

Ritchie - Was quite sharp but didn't influence the game enough.  Shouldn't have come off though!

Perez - Some nice link play really early on but did fuck all after that apart from a shot that brought a good save.

Atsu - Looked our most dangerous player in the 1st half but faded from the game.

Joselu - Like Perez got involved early on but did fuck all after, was crying out to be replaced by Mitrovic if he'd been available.

Wasn't at fault for the goal at all, and even if he'd been on the line I doubt he'd have saved it anyway.

His kicking (again) and decision making (coming/not coming for balls) was awful, but he made a couple of smart saves and wasn’t the worst on the pitch.

Thought his kicking was cack and he's just not agile enough.

Rafa:

:lol:  He's got some patience like, I know Yorkie said we are a mid table side, but we really aren't, this side would get relegated with a lesser manager.

Thought his kicking was cack and he's just not agile enough.

Aye. Think he gets away with a lot of stick just because he doesn't make glaring clangers. He's shit.

Rafa:

:lol:  He's got some patience like, I know Yorkie said we are a mid table side, but we really aren't, this side would get relegated with a lesser manager.

Totally agree with that. Rafa is the difference.

"struggle to attract top players to the north east" (even with investment/takeover) - Gary Neville

We're at a disadvantage, but I don't think it's insurmountable. Depends what he means by 'top' anyway, it won't take much to substantially improve this squad. We're not looking to compete with the top five clubs any time soon.

"struggle to attract top players to the north east" (even with investment/takeover) - Gary Neville

It's no different to living in Manchester like which whilst it has really appealing parts is largely a like the horrible parts of a lot of cities. We have the same investment those clubs have and it's not a problem.

It's no different to living in Manchester like which whilst it has really appealing parts is largely a like the horrible parts of a lot of cities. We have the same investment those clubs have and it's not a problem.

Move the training ground to London and just have the players travel up here the night before home games.

Rafa:

Totally agree with that. Rafa is the difference.

It's huge. I know we looked rubbish today, but even then we looked well organised and could just as easily nicked another win on another day.