Newcastle United vs Leicester City - 09/12/17 @ 5.30pm (Live on BT Sport)

HaydnNUFC

Darlow

Yedlin

Lascelles

Clark

Dummett

Shelvey

Hayden

Richie

Merino

Atsu

Gayle

I'm not a fan of shoehorning players into the starting 11 but we must find a way of getting Hayden, Shelvey and Merino on the pitch. Give it a try, if it doesn't work fine but I've had enough of Diame and Perez.

Doesn't Merino play #10 for Spain U21s? I don't think it's too much of a shoehorn, especially given other options.

The benefit of putting him up there would mean we'd have an aerial target beside/behind Gayle for goal kicks and the like, it would also mean his higher risk style of play wouldn't necessarily be punished as much.

This

http://www.footballuser.com/formations/2017/12/1645353_Newcastle_United.jpg

Or this

http://www.footballuser.com/formations/2017/12/1645354_Newcastle_United.jpg

Don't think Gayle has the skills to play behind the striker, he's a finisher.  I'd like to see us try Shelvey, Hayden and Merino all together.  Hayden covering behind giving the other two license to get forward and support the attacks.

Doesn't Merino play #10 for Spain U21s? I don't think it's too much of a shoehorn, especially given other options.

The benefit of putting him up there would mean we'd have an aerial target beside/behind Gayle for goal kicks and the like, it would also mean his higher risk style of play wouldn't necessarily be punished as much.

You lose some protection in mid though, he gets through a ton of work and allows Shelvey to play. I would like to see him in the ten though

Hayden serves the same function IMO, albeit in a more limited capacity when he's in possession. I'm just sick to death of Perez/Diame/Joselu really, scratching for a solution.

You lose some protection in mid though, he gets through a ton of work and allows Shelvey to play. I would like to see him in the ten though

Hayden serves the same function IMO, albeit in a more limited capacity when he's in possession. I'm just sick to death of Perez/Diame/Joselu really, scratching for a solution.

I've been advocating all season for a flat 3 for Shelvey, Merino and Hayden but it's the one combo I don't think Rafa has even tried. Not sure why that is.

Darlow

Yedlin

Lascelles

Clark

Dummett

Shelvey

Hayden

Richie

Merino

Atsu

Gayle

I'm not a fan of shoehorning players into the starting 11 but we must find a way of getting Hayden, Shelvey and Merino on the pitch. Give it a try, if it doesn't work fine but I've had enough of Diame and Perez.

Think this is probably our best side.

Hope he's fit for Saturday.

It'll be f***ing freezing at the match, like.

Needs to replace Lejeune.

Aye. Lascelles/Clark has been our best CB pairing this season. Lejeune is a good player but we seem to be a worse defensive unit when he's playing. Hopefully it's just him being new to the league and needing to adapt.

Guest Howaythetoon

I’ve researched the history of the club quite extensively and while the author is kind of right, in fact he is right, NUFC as Newcastle United was ‘born’ in 1982, but as West End correctly folded and not merged East End become NUFC so technically the history of the club dates back 10 years earlier when Stanley were formed. They changed the name to East End as there was already a football team going by the name of Stanley. East End were formed by the cricket club by members who would play football as a hobby going back some 20 years or even more prior to 1881. It was only as the popularity of the sport grew did they decide to get in on the act with their own football team with many of the cricket team representing the football team. The record books show NUFC formed in 1882 but go through the records back to that era and you won’t find 1882 other than when the club become East End and then when West ceased being, Newcastle United. It was the 90s where the club latched onto 1982 which has since become synonymous with the club. I’ll celebrate Newcastle United as NUFC being 125 years old but we are probably more of a 150 year old ‘club’. Btw the club is historically one of the most important in the game, we have played several key roles in the development and formation of it from playoffs to offsides and replica shirts even. In the 20s fans who could afford a tailor would get black and white suits for Wembley which the less well off ripped off by painting their shirts black and white. NUFC fans were one of the first set of fans to attend matches decked out in club colours.

Also and I found this quite funny, not long after the club moved to SJP where fans basically stood on wooden boards around a marked out pitch to avoid getting bogged down in mud (the pitch was literally on a hill and when it rained it become a mud bath), a fruit and veg stall would do a roaring triad in tomatoes which were bought to throw at players who basically didn’t perform. The opposition were always applauded for their efforts though and NUFC spectators would soon get a reputation as a tough crowd to please for the home team, but a sporting lot for the visitors who would relish a trip to Newcastle. There are traces of this kind of mentality today in the stands.

I love the history of our club, it’s shame the fat cunt has pretty much destroyed the last 10 years or so if it. Time for a new chapter...

Guest Howaythetoon

Btw the phrase Toon Army was first coined I believe by a southern journalist when we beat Arsenal in the 52 FA Cup, it was also used in ‘74 when LFC beat us. The club has been referred to as the Toon since the 30s. Wor Jackie would often refer to going to watch the Town play when interviewed, but of course he and others would say Toon.

Disappointed that this got moved back to 5.30pm on a personal level, as I'd already committed to the works Christmas do down sedgefield. Still going over to see the celebration display and gonna have to leave early 😔

I’ve researched the history of the club quite extensively and while the author is kind of right, in fact he is right, NUFC as Newcastle United was ‘born’ in 1982, but as West End correctly folded and not merged East End become NUFC so technically the history of the club dates back 10 years earlier when Stanley were formed. They changed the name to East End as there was already a football team going by the name of Stanley. East End were formed by the cricket club by members who would play football as a hobby going back some 20 years or even more prior to 1881. It was only as the popularity of the sport grew did they decide to get in on the act with their own football team with many of the cricket team representing the football team. The record books show NUFC formed in 1882 but go through the records back to that era and you won’t find 1882 other than when the club become East End and then when West ceased being, Newcastle United. It was the 90s where the club latched onto 1982 which has since become synonymous with the club. I’ll celebrate Newcastle United as NUFC being 125 years old but we are probably more of a 150 year old ‘club’. Btw the club is historically one of the most important in the game, we have played several key roles in the development and formation of it from playoffs to offsides and replica shirts even. In the 20s fans who could afford a tailor would get black and white suits for Wembley which the less well off ripped off by painting their shirts black and white. NUFC fans were one of the first set of fans to attend matches decked out in club colours.

Also and I found this quite funny, not long after the club moved to SJP where fans basically stood on wooden boards around a marked out pitch to avoid getting bogged down in mud (the pitch was literally on a hill and when it rained it become a mud bath), a fruit and veg stall would do a roaring triad in tomatoes which were bought to throw at players who basically didn’t perform. The opposition were always applauded for their efforts though and NUFC spectators would soon get a reputation as a tough crowd to please for the home team, but a sporting lot for the visitors who would relish a trip to Newcastle. There are traces of this kind of mentality today in the stands.

I love the history of our club, it’s shame the fat c*** has pretty much destroyed the last 10 years or so if it. Time for a new chapter...

Yep I do find it odd that they use 1892 as the founding year when it really only the establishment of the current name and the move of the club to SJP as they took over West End's assets. The following year we joined the football league and started the most successful period in the club history, shame non of us were around to witness it.

Disappointed that this got moved back to 5.30pm on a personal level, as I'd already committed to the works Christmas do down sedgefield. Still going over to see the celebration display and gonna have to leave early

That's a right shitter.

I quite like the change, should help the atmosphere further, extra drinking time and the like. Glad that BT picked it tbh, Sky shifting it off the 9th would make the 125th year celebrations a bit less meaningful IYAM. So, glad that they got it.

Guest Howaythetoon

West End didn't even have any real assets, we took a few of their players on that is all. A merger is stretching it massively. It’s a modern narrative though which the club have helped promote for whatever reason. Anyway, Newcastle United is definitely 125 years old as Newcatle United. From what I can recollect it was the late 80s which coincided with the opening of the Milburn stand that the club started focusing on the 100 year centenary celebrations. Prior to that 1882 wasn’t such a big event other than the name change and move to SJP in the club’s history. At one point we were the biggest club in the world during the 20s and I think the 3rd or 4th most successful club in England up to the 50s. Prior to ‘74 we had won more than Liverpool for example iirc. The club has been littered with bad management and boardroom decisions. SJH cam along and really did rescue us, KK galvanised us and turned us into the kind of club we were in the 20s. Withought those two in particular, it’s hard to,say what would have happened. I don’t think we would have recovered I really don’t. SJP would have been modernised as was the law, but maybe 25k and we would have went down to the then 3rd tier and would probably be another Sheff Utd really. Despite no trophies since ‘55 and ‘69 domestically and in Europe and 2 relegations in the last 10 years we are still one of the biggest clubs in the world and that is down to 3 things; SJH, KK and the huge support of the club from fans. Ashley has wasted arguably the golden Jewell of English Football as KK coined us and when the history books open up on his chapter it will be pretty much blank because it has literally been a waste of fucking time by all. Hurry up and sell you fat cunt.

Disappointed that this got moved back to 5.30pm on a personal level, as I'd already committed to the works Christmas do down sedgefield. Still going over to see the celebration display and gonna have to leave early

That's a right shitter.

I quite like the change, should help the atmosphere further, extra drinking time and the like. Glad that BT picked it tbh, Sky shifting it off the 9th would make the 125th year celebrations a bit less meaningful IYAM. So, glad that they got it.

Yeah on a none personal level the change is ideal, plus for some reason I imagine BT will show more of the flags etc...