Arsenal v Newcastle United - 16/12/2017 15:00 (No UK TV)

Figures 1-0 Football

That team is ok.

But is this the worst squad quality wise we've had since 1988-89?

1988-89 has FA Cup winning goalkeeper Beasant (terrible for us), as well as Liam O'Brien, John Hendrie, and Mirandinha (who turned to s*** after a  decent enough 1987-88). They played horribly at a club which had an unfinished stand and a boardroom needing to be forced out. Some similarities, in terms of the boardroom, but I would argue 1988-89 actually had more options than Benitez has.

1990-91 was a horrible squad - but, in terms of the top flight, the only recent one which gets close imo is 2006-07 (Ramage, Huntingdon etc.), and even that was only shown up by being injury-ravaged.

Anyway, 0-4 today, lads :(

So us to take the lead and then lose three or four one again?

I couldn’t be any less optimistic for a match than when we face a top five side nowadays.

Not sure its the best tactic to run ourselves into the ground in the first 30 mins again

That team is ok.

1988-89 has FA Cup winning goalkeeper Beasant (terrible for us), as well as Liam O'Brien, John Hendrie, and Mirandinha (who turned to s*** after a good decent enough 1987-88). They played horribly at a club which had an unfinished stand and a boardroom needing to be forced out. Some similarities, in terms of the boardroom, but I would argue 1988-89 actually had more options than Benitez has.

1990-91 was a horrible squad - but, in terms of the top flight, the only recent one which gets close imo is 2006-07 (Ramage, Huntingdon etc.), and even that was only shown up by being injury-ravaged.

Joselu with all 4.

Wasn't making a statement, was just asking. Never saw those days.

Youre very fortunate not to have witnessed 90/91 and 91/92.....

At the same time, I think the lad (HaydnNUFC) is just 16 so can't remember Keegan I or even Robson! He's seen nowt but us under Ashley...

Yep.

That team is ok.

1988-89 has FA Cup winning goalkeeper Beasant (terrible for us), as well as Liam O'Brien, John Hendrie, and Mirandinha (who turned to s*** after a good decent enough 1987-88). They played horribly at a club which had an unfinished stand and a boardroom needing to be forced out. Some similarities, in terms of the boardroom, but I would argue 1988-89 actually had more options than Benitez has.

Joselu with all 4.

Haha here's hoping  :cheesy:

Nah, just my habit to put the Newcastle score first, regardless of whether we're home or away.

Wasn't making a statement, was just asking. Never saw those days.

Youre very fortunate not to have witnessed 90/91 and 91/92.....

At the same time, I think the lad (HaydnNUFC) is just 16 so can't remember Keegan I or even Robson! He's seen nowt but us under Ashley...

Poor bastard...even though ive never seen us win nothing in 40 years them years from 93 to 97 and 2001 to 2003 I just wouldn't swap for anything......

Poor b******...even though ive never seen us win nothing in 40 years them years from 93 to 97 and 2001 to 2003 I just wouldn't swap for anything......

Aye, the Robson years for me especially. I was a student in the early noughties and we were playing every three days, sometimes against the best in Europe. Constantly on the drink. Very fond memories.

If we sit back and allow them to play we will get botted into next week.

If we actually try to play football (:yao:), they are certainly prone to making mistakes in defence and giving away chances.

I predict the former.

Of our last 8 games, we've scored 6 goals.

Gayle has scored or assisted 4 of them.

Ritchie's assisted Clark & an Own goal for the other two.

So you could say the way its been going, something different would have to happen today to say the least given none of them are playing  :lol:

If we sit back and allow them to play we will get botted into next week.

If we actually try to play football (:yao:), they are certainly prone to making mistakes in defence and giving away chances.

I predict the former.

I don't think we have the players to attack them so the best strategy would be to defend in numbers and try to catch them on the counter. Although we haven't really got the players to do that either.