Newcastle United 0-1 Manchester City - 27/12/17 - Post-match reaction from pg.26

Kaizero

Guest Howaythetoon

It was a privelage to be beaten by this lot....

:lol: Weren't you saying you'd rather lose 10-0? That's some mental gymnastics you've got going on there mind.

Oh look my shadow!

I dont really see the whole goal difference excuse, obviously its acceptable given it was only 1 goal conceded. But when we go to play them in 3 weeks or so, if they thrash us 6 or 7 which could potentially happen then it hasnt really made much difference.

As long as the players have a go I suppose that matters mostly to paying fans,it is true the first half was shit with all the soft arse excuses. However we did look more like a side who were holding off a hiding and countering much better in the second half.

I don't really see how you don't get the goal difference excuse. If we lose 1-0 there as well we'd have already done better than most teams in the division and that's across 2 games and not just 1. I. E. If we lose 1-0 again which is probably unlikely we will be at -2 rather than the -3/4 which some teams have suffered from one game.

Goal difference is worth a point and could potentially be worth 1 or 2 places. So how can that not be identified as a good reason for how we played?

I said I only saw the benefit of what we were trying to do in the second half and only after conceding. However as pointed out and having to repeat posts, what is so great about it if they stick 7 past us in a few weeks and we have a shite goal difference.

Its all hypothetical but to keep the argument its ok to lose 1 nil and not 3 nil because its less then suffer heavier defeats further down makes no difference if other sides gain advantage around you. The truth is we should be looking to at least try and get points by any means not look for how we can go about not letting in a bag full. We only saw the game plan come into effect later on in the second half. The first 35 minutes were a shambles.

I cant agree with anyone accepting it was ok to play in that manner.

It also bothers me theres some collective brain washing that goes on in here, where you get pulled up relentlessly for going against the grain or popular opinion. Almost like everyone is on HTTs case until he concedes its a master stroke to lose 1 nil to man city.

He didnt like what he witnessed in the first half. Neither did I or quite a few others.

Needless to say its done with and we need to move on to the next game.

By the same token playing like the first 35 and it could have been 4 or 5 by half time...

But we did and we weren't losing by 4 or 5 at half time. They didn't make all that many clear cut chances all game really and we had one or two that we could have scored from. It was undoubtedly s*** to watch and our players wasted possession a lot but had the hold up play been better we'd have executed the tactics perfectly and arguably not have conceded because the pressure wouldn't have been so relentless. It wasn't the tactics at fault it was the gap in quality. I totally get that we're Newcastle United and we don't wanna be seen to be surrendering at home and all that but  the tactics were intended to be victory through a strong defence and just as we could have been hammered we could have easily have snatched something too.

There simply isn't a right or wrong way to go City they're simply that good. We've not gained a result from City but that result was worth more for us comparatively to the remaining 18 teams in the division.

I’m gonna accept it for this game only and hope it’s a one off. If we surrender possession to Brighton I’ll be massively pissed off. Start even in a similar vain and it’s again begging the opposition to score and keep scoring.

:thup: I'd probably accept it away at these too. I don't think you'll see the same tactics vs Brighton. I think we'll play a lot more expansive football. I too hope.

That is what worries me though, if Brighton sit back as expected I think we'll struggle to break them down.  Though they are very goal shy, so as long we don't make individual errors we will be fine.

That West Ham was such a weird game for how open it was.

I think we might struggle to break them down but hopefully with Merino, Richie and Shelvey's involvement we can create a decent few opportunities and maybe Atsu can get at them and make them commit. Fingers crossed!

I dont really see the whole goal difference excuse, obviously its acceptable given it was only 1 goal conceded. But when we go to play them in 3 weeks or so, if they thrash us 6 or 7 which could potentially happen then it hasnt really made much difference.

As long as the players have a go I suppose that matters mostly to paying fans,it is true the first half was shit with all the soft arse excuses. However we did look more like a side who were holding off a hiding and countering much better in the second half.

I don't really see how you don't get the goal difference excuse. If we lose 1-0 there as well we'd have already done better than most teams in the division and that's across 2 games and not just 1. I. E. If we lose 1-0 again which is probably unlikely we will be at -2 rather than the -3/4 which some teams have suffered from one game.

Goal difference is worth a point and could potentially be worth 1 or 2 places. So how can that not be identified as a good reason for how we played?

I said I only saw the benefit of what we were trying to do in the second half and only after conceding. However as pointed out and having to repeat posts, what is so great about it if they stick 7 past us in a few weeks and we have a shite goal difference.

Its all hypothetical but to keep the argument its ok to lose 1 nil and not 3 nil because its less then suffer heavier defeats further down makes no difference if other sides gain advantage around you. The truth is we should be looking to at least try and get points by any means not look for how we can go about not letting in a bag full. We only saw the game plan come into effect later on in the second half. The first 35 minutes were a shambles.

It also bothers me theres some collective brain washing that goes on in here, where you get pulled up relentlessly for going against the grain or popular opinion. Almost like everyone is on HTTs case until he concedes its a master stroke to lose 1 nil to man city.

He didnt like what he witnessed in the first half. Neither did I or quite a few others.

It was the lack of quality that was the issue though not the tactics deployed. If we make the ball stick up top and don't give them possession back time after time then the pressure wouldn't have been so relentless.

We could have snatched it almost as much as they could have battered us and if we gained a point that'd be one more than about 17 other teams in the division. Instead, we got the next best thing which was a narrow defeat, which is better than like 15 teams in the division.

I see your point that we could have went for it and reverted to that once they scored. But we did that at Man United and Chelsea and look what happened.

EDIT: what you on about relentless brainwashing too? There's maybe 2 of us putting across an argument for and 2 against. Settle your kettle.

By the same token playing like the first 35 and it could have been 4 or 5 by half time...

But we did and we weren't losing by 4 or 5 at half time. They didn't make all that many clear cut chances all game really and we had one or two that we could have scored from. It was undoubtedly s*** to watch and our players wasted possession a lot but had the hold up play been better we'd have executed the tactics perfectly and arguably not have conceded because the pressure wouldn't have been so relentless. It wasn't the tactics at fault it was the gap in quality. I totally get that we're Newcastle United and we don't wanna be seen to be surrendering at home and all that but  the tactics were intended to be victory through a strong defence and just as we could have been hammered we could have easily have snatched something too.

There simply isn't a right or wrong way to go City they're simply that good. We've not gained a result from City but that result was worth more for us comparatively to the remaining 18 teams in the division.

I’m gonna accept it for this game only and hope it’s a one off. If we surrender possession to Brighton I’ll be massively pissed off. Start even in a similar vain and it’s again begging the opposition to score and keep scoring.

:thup: I'd probably accept it away at these too. I don't think you'll see the same tactics vs Brighton. I think we'll play a lot more expansive football. I too hope.

That is what worries me though, if Brighton sit back as expected I think we'll struggle to break them down.  Though they are very goal shy, so as long we don't make individual errors we will be fine.

That West Ham was such a weird game for how open it was.

My concern is we're not actually that good at keeping possession tbh, theres certain positions that fail us in that regard (No 10 mainly, CM also although Shelvey and Merino together might help slightly there). How many times this season have we had more than 50% of the ball? Must be a handful at most.

Guest firetotheworks

10cd37822f842946a3bb0f74321672a9.jpeg

I know it's sarcastic Neesy :lol: But it's obviously taking the piss out of those of who think the tactics were right against that good a team.

Guest firetotheworks

It was a privelage to be beaten by this lot....

:lol: Weren't you saying you'd rather lose 10-0? That's some mental gymnastics you've got going on there mind.

Oh look my shadow!

:rolleyes:

It was the lack of quality that was the issue though not the tactics deployed. If we make the ball stick up top and don't give them possession back time after time then the pressure wouldn't have been so relentless.

We could have snatched it almost as much as they could have battered us and if we gained a point that'd be one more than about 17 other teams in the division. Instead, we got the next best thing which was a narrow defeat, which is better than like 15 teams in the division.

I see your point that we could have went for it and reverted to that once they scored. But we did that at Man United and Chelsea and look what happened.

To me in fairness to all arguments and what Benitez was trying to do looked like he was emulating the Liverpool result. But we were far more diciplined in that game and had a few chances. We did what we set out to do and Liverpool had hardly any space to exploit. Last night that was not the case, Ederson could have played sweeper at times.

FWIW mighty_mag expected us to get 'completely destroyed' in that game. As did the vast majority of us.

I cant argue, that is true. But I watched Stoke City dominate Man City a couple of seasons ago, and they just went for it.

That City side apart from KDB last night was weaker than ive seen. Especially throwing fernandinho into the back four. Pep was laughing inside fully aware we had bottled it.

Guest firetotheworks

FWIW mighty_mag expected us to get 'completely destroyed' in that game. As did the vast majority of us.

I cant argue, that is true. But I watched Stoke City dominate Man City a couple of seasons ago, and they just went for it.

That City side apart from KDB last night was weaker than ive seen. Especially throwing fernandinho into the back four. Pep was laughing inside fully aware we had bottled it.

Ye wha?

Ederson

Walker

Kompany - Jesus

Otamendi

Danilo

De Bruyne

Fernandinho

Gündogan

Bernardo Silva

Agüero

Sterling

If anyone is anything other than of the mind "at least we didn't allow our GD to get destroyed" after that, then they are out of their mind. Time to move on from this, it's over and we now have games that are way more important to us coming up, unfortunately the way the PL is today this was a game we had little chance in and very nearly got something out of. The PL is crying out for a salary cap but there is no way to employ that in a global game like football.

tumblr_nyq3fefHe61tq4of6o1_400.gif

If anyone is anything other than of the mind "at least we didn't allow our GD to get destroyed" after that, then they are out of their mind. Time to move on from this, it's over and we now have games that are way more important to us coming up, unfortunately the way the PL is today this was a game we had little chance in and very nearly got something out of. The PL is crying out for a salary cap but there is no way to employ that in a global game like football.

You’re right time to move on but not having anyone say I’m out of my mind. All this talk about we kept it tight we would have taken that result before the game, we would have been cut to pieces if we played any other way etc etc is valid if the way the team played especially first half had restricted city to only a chance or two, however it didn’t and the only reason we didn’t get a hiding was that city had one of those games when they left their shooting boots at home. The cut us to ribbons in that first half and created a number of decent opportunities up to the subs to have won by the 5, 6 or 7 goals. It wasn’t good play that they only won one nil, it wasn’t keeping it down by keeping it tight, it was purely down to poor finishing, a couple of good saves and a bit of bad luck.

People will say but but it was still only one nil and just see it as that formation was the reason for it total bollocks. People arguing the players were at fault I can certainly have some sympathy with that but it certainly wasn’t because of the way we were set up that kept the score down that was purely due to city’s unusual lack of clinical finishing to thank for that. For the people who are actually saying there wasn’t much created I would suggest you see the game again or optician.

Let’s move onto Brighton but I can certainly say for sure I’m not losing my mind.

Ye wha?

Ederson

Walker

Kompany - Jesus

Otamendi

Danilo

De Bruyne

Fernandinho

Gündogan

Bernardo Silva

Agüero

Sterling

For a little context:

Ederson - £35m

Walker – £50m

Kompany – £6m

Jesus - £27m

Otamendi - £34m

Danilo - £27m

De Bruyne - £55m

Fernandinho - £34m

Gündogan - £20m

Bernardo Silva - £43m

Agüero - £38m

Sterling - £49m

It's fucking staggering man.

The season Stoke beat Man City, the latter finished 4th with 66 points. This Man City side, although they share quite a few players, have so far got 58 from an available 60. You're comparing apples and oranges, this side has the potential to obliterate every top flight record going, in terms of points and goals - they've already smashed the consecutive wins one. It's not a case of going for it against *random top four team who are good but will still lose ten games a season*, this could go down as the greatest team ever to play football in England.

:thup:

Ye wha?

Ederson

Walker

Kompany - Jesus

Otamendi

Danilo

De Bruyne

Fernandinho

Gündogan

Bernardo Silva

Agüero

Sterling