Martin Dúbravka

Figures 1-0 Football

Feel bad for shitting on him after his first two return appearances for us. Been great since then and it is nice not to shit your pants when the ball goes near his feet. Looking forward to Pope being back but Dubs has shown he’s still easily good enough to be second choice 

Deffo done well lately. 

That save he done was great, though I think he could have shifted over towards the centre of the goal when the ball was played to whoever had the shot, the shot had a little power and was barely off centre... Made it look much harder than it was 

Nah. Pope is much better at shot stopping and crosses IMO. He regularly makes hard saves look routine because of his footwork and giant wing span. 

Dubs’ decent save last night should have been routine, really. Did well to recover of course. But ended up being a fingertip save in the middle of the net. 

Either way, Dubs has come in and done a great job in the end. After looking awful for a good few games at the start. 

We are seeing a very good version of him generally in the past month or so and fair play. Issue is, even at his best we’re going to concede significantly more goals than with Pope, for a few reasons. 

I was starting to think me thinking he was brilliant was due to us being shit when he 1st joined, but the run of game has got him back to being class all over again!

He is much more comfortable with the ball at his feet than Pope, has to be said.

I gave him some criticism after his first few games back, but he’s proved me wrong and I’m glad he has. Hope he keeps it up. 

Pope obviously the better keeper overall, but this nonsense that we had to sign De Gea to avoid a terrible season was way ott. We lose a bit of shot stopping, command of box & sweeping awareness, but are much more comfortable using Dubs to counter high presses without it meaning a HOOF & subsequent throw in to the opponent. Too much to ask of Pope to do some technique work with his feet while his shoulder is out of commission? :lol: He'd damn near be the best keeper in the leaguee if he was just mediocre (by PL standards) at receiving & passing the ball.

On 28/01/2024 at 13:36, Optimistic Nut said:

Give Pope Dubravka's feet, or Dubravka Pope's sweeper keeper tendencies and you have an elite keeper. Shot stopping and crosses I don't think there's much in it.

If Dubravka had Pope's ability off his line he'd be the better keeper without a doubt. Unfortunately he doesn't but still is more comfortable with his feet.

Pope is a better shot stopper and dealing with crosses, his only major weakness is the ball at his feet. Dubs is not close to Pope’s level overall.

Edited by Ronson333

Dubravka is a decent keeper. I'd even go as far as saying its probably been our strongest position other than perhaps striker for my lifetime. He's needed some coaching back to a decent level and his confidence building back up and he's getting there. Pleased for him.

On 14/12/2023 at 00:19, BullyDogs said:

Weve seen him in 3 games now and being honest has anyone seen anything that gives you any semblance of hope that he can be able to make key saves or decisions that will ultimately make us win a game or prevent us losing one 

I see nothing in him i think hes probably one of the worst keepers in the division i certainly cant think of anyone worse maybe the kid at Luton or Foderingham but thats it

Hope the likes of the lad above have learned a lesson about laying into our players prematurely. 

One of the worst keepers in the division :lol:

Dubs has shown multiple times when he's returned from injury in the past, that he takes 4/5 games to get up to speed, and has been rusty to start with, he's not the sort of keeper you can just throw on and be at it. It was just the fact that usually he'd be replacing Darlow or Elliott so it wasnt really as in your face, I was always confident we'd be fine with him after that first little spell. 

He's probably the best backup keeper in the league (maybe Ortega?).

Brilliant again. Much more confident at coming for crosses. But still seems really hesitant coming off his line and it always makes me nervous when he has to sweep up or close a one on one.

But then Pope did for different reasons. As he just came for everything and often seemed to be in no man’s land :lol: 

Edited by Lush Vlad

First one? No man’s land if he comes. Shocking defending not winning the first or second ball and not tracked the runner. 

Second there seemed to be about 5-6 errors. So take your pick which one was the worst. Always going to get scrutinised if you palm the ball back into the middle of the box, I suppose. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

15 minutes ago, Beth said:

Could he have done better for the first two goals today or am I being a twat?

No, I think your right. Certainly the first because he makes no decision which means the player just has to concentrate on getting the header on target. 

He does this a lot where he half comes out and then runs back but he's in a position where he can't even attempt to save the ball, mike hooper was often guilty of this.

David James did some awful shit but at least he made his mind up when he raced out, that at least makes a forward have to do some work 

5 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

No, I think your right. Certainly the first because he makes no decision which means the player just has to concentrate on getting the header on target. 

He does this a lot where he half comes out and then runs back but he's in a position where he can't even attempt to save the ball, mike hooper was often guilty of this.

David James did some awful shit but at least he made his mind up when he raced out, that at least makes a forward have to do some work 

I couldn't catch a cold as a keeper but still know the first rule of keeping is if you come for the ball you don't change your mind half way through.