Martin Dúbravka

Figures 1-0 Football

Watching it live I thought he should saved the second, just seen it back now and still think the same. I think Pope would have saved it, but that’s why he’s our first choice keeper when fit.

1 hour ago, Heron said:

Like I say, I'd like to see the second again but for me, from the Strawberry Corner it seemed very well hit and from close range.

It is hard and low, but it was from just outside the box and close to the angle of it; it was also close enough to Dubravka where you’d expect him to stop it:

IMG_7569.thumb.png.2f779b92a59640b50f1111f5fa4f0ebc.pngIMG_7570.thumb.png.b70d7b86cd7ca423b753faf482e80559.png

1 hour ago, Heron said:

Yes, I am watching the games and the fact that as a team we are leaving our left winger pushed right up and our LB entirely exposed, we have a fairly immobile midfield when it comes to pace and acceleration, a much slower and less intense press than last season and a lack of pace at the back all contribute to the space teams are finding, not just Dubravka being shite. He is deeper and that is probably contributing and there is possibly a lack of confidence compared to that with Pope but for me, we are conceding more because of our inability to maintain intensity through injuries and our "shit or bust" strategy.

I also feel that our fans are always desperate for a scapegoat. Presently it seems to be Dubravka and Burn, last season it was Longstaff at times. Just don't get it. If these people aren't good enough then that lies at the managers and clubs door, those lads are giving it their absolute all.

I agree re Longstaff and Burn, as it’s entirely down to the manager and his selections.  Less the case with Dubravka - the only other option is Karius.  I don’t think Howe has much of a choice in terms of the keeper atm

Edited by TheBrownBottle

Two great saves first half. Nightmare of a second half. The 2 goals plus at least 2 other occasions where he punched the ball instead of catching it, I know the punch/catch option is all about percentages, but for me catch the ball.

As poor as we were.. with pope we win that game.

The question is - is he a good enough second choice keeper?

28 minutes ago, Bally21 said:

Two great saves first half. Nightmare of a second half. The 2 goals plus at least 2 other occasions where he punched the ball instead of catching it, I know the punch/catch option is all about percentages, but for me catch the ball.

As poor as we were.. with pope we win that game.

The question is - is he a good enough second choice keeper?

He’s a bottom six PL / top six second tier GK for me, which is perfectly fine as a reserve under normal circumstances.  This being NUFC 23/24, we’re not living in normal times, so he’s playing far more than we’d like 

• 2 weeks later...

Stupendous performance.

Their chances felt just as good, it not better than ours. 2-3 of them were more top class saves as opposed to twatting it straight at the keeper like we kept doing. 

Did really well tonight, fair play. Saved everything he had a chance of saving and kept out a couple on pens to send us through. One of the few positives from tonight

Really pleased for him. Not sure why but I have a real soft spot for him. If he keeps that form up we’ll be fine until Pope is back.

Wish he was better off his line but he’s so assured at claiming corners/crosses.