Islam Slimani - Returned to Leicester

Figures 1-0 Football

I wouldn't pay over 10 million for him personally. That's not because I don't like but he's at the wrong age. On a couple occasions last night he looks like a head down runner, which is a concern, but outside of that he did well with no service whatsover. Not that it's likely to happen but honestly think Mitro would be a better option for us if Rafa were willing to work with him.

Again not saying I don't like Slimani from the brief games he's been part of he's been good, just not sure if a deal for him would make any sense, especially if our owner is signing off on the cheque, Leicester will want a way bigger one than he will be prepared to hand over.

I don't see how Mitro could look effective in Rafa's system, he doesn't offer the same mobility. I still have doubts about whether he would score enough goals in the premier tbh, but I could be wrong. Just don't see him doing it the way Rafa sets up.

I'd spend 12-15mill on Slimani, and keep Mitrovic as his equal/understudy (dependant on whether he can convince Rafa that he can learn from him). If we sell Mitro we should be looking at a player of similar age, ability and value , but  more suited to Rafa's system.

in reality i think the best you could hope for would be a decent fee for mitro from fulham or someone, spend some/all of that on slimani....flog gayle to a promoted/champo pushing team for £15-20m and spend that on an understudy with potential that rafa has scouted

then start spending other money on number 10's and such that need improving upon

I wouldn't pay over 10 million for him personally. That's not because I don't like but he's at the wrong age. On a couple occasions last night he looks like a head down runner, which is a concern, but outside of that he did well with no service whatsover. Not that it's likely to happen but honestly think Mitro would be a better option for us if Rafa were willing to work with him.

Again not saying I don't like Slimani from the brief games he's been part of he's been good, just not sure if a deal for him would make any sense, especially if our owner is signing off on the cheque, Leicester will want a way bigger one than he will be prepared to hand over.

I don't see how Mitro could look effective in Rafa's system, he doesn't offer the same mobility. I still have doubts about whether he would score enough goals in the premier tbh, but I could be wrong. Just don't see him doing it the way Rafa sets up.

I'd spend 12-15mill on Slimani, and keep Mitrovic as his equal/understudy (dependant on whether he can convince Rafa that he can learn from him). If we sell Mitro we should be looking at a player of similar age, ability and value , but  more suited to Rafa's system.

In a hazy dreamland scenario that would probably be an ideal outcome, when you woke up what would you do?

In a hazy dreamland scenario that would probably be an ideal outcome, when you woke up what would you do?

Are you saying that only in a fantasy of my own imaginations could Rafa have a list of potential targets?

Under Mike Ashley we are not paying money for 29 year olds, that's what has me worried about Dubravka, that deal should have been made permanent already in my view.

We paid for big Dazza Murphy under Ashley. A nominal fee but not far off what Dubravka will command.

We’ll buy Dubravka, I hope little doubt on that - Slimani I doubt though.

Are you saying that only in a fantasy of my own imaginations could Rafa have a list of potential targets?

Well let's have a look at all three of your propositions:

1. Get Slimani for £12-15m - not going to happen realistically, certainly not £12m, could be closer to £20 probably.

2. Mitrovic isn't going to be his understudy, even Rafa was ok with it, the lad himself won't.

3. Rafa will find someone of similar calibre but younger and at that sort of price range. That's possible, but it's just wishful thinking at this point.

Whilst it is harsh to judge such few and short run outs. The try before you buy may have helped us especially as i dont think he is out 20millions plus player answer to our problems based on age and fee and likely wages.

Who would be our £20million plus player answer to our problems? I was thinking last night, if we don't buy this guy it will be hard to get someone with similar attributes for that sort of money.

I knew someone would pull me on this... simple answer I dont know if I could find gems under the radar I would be a scout or agent. Just even if we had say 60m to spend while iam all for the logic in rafa we trust I wouldn't spend a third of it on him and can imagine whatever fee we have to give reportedly 16m rejected by watford from what I've seen of his premiership carear he isn't worth the outlay wages or fee. Obviously I agree the general point if he likes us and they still want to sell it may be the best we can hope for just hope with the work rafa puts in to identify these targets if the purse this summit is more than a gift voucher for Greg's there may be other players in his mind.

Just even if we had say 60m to spend

this is the crux of it, you plan for ashley until further notice

in that scenario best case we get +£20m for mitro, a striker rafa is NEVER going to use, and then spend that on slimani

i would then personally look to flog gayle for £15-20m if the right buyer is there and take an educated rafa gamble on someone younger to be backup/rotate with slimani

you could feasibly sort out your strikers without spending any of the other money, that could be spent elsewhere then

but yeah we won't get 10 years of 15 goal seasons out of slimani so might as well not bother

Whilst it is harsh to judge such few and short run outs. The try before you buy may have helped us especially as i dont think he is out 20millions plus player answer to our problems based on age and fee and likely wages.

Who would be our £20million plus player answer to our problems? I was thinking last night, if we don't buy this guy it will be hard to get someone with similar attributes for that sort of money.

I knew someone would pull me on this... simple answer I dont know if I could find gems under the radar I would be a scout or agent. Just even if we had say 60m to spend while iam all for the logic in rafa we trust I wouldn't spend a third of it on him and can imagine whatever fee we have to give reportedly 16m rejected by watford from what I've seen of his premiership carear he isn't worth the outlay wages or fee. Obviously I agree the general point if he likes us and they still want to sell it may be the best we can hope for just hope with the work rafa puts in to identify these targets if the purse this summit is more than a gift voucher for Greg's there may be other players in his mind.

Well I would just go along with the 'in Rafa we trust' mantra and leave it up to his judgement. If he thinks Slimani is worth what it takes to get him, I'm happy to back him, if he knows of someone younger or better for a similar price then great. I really don't give a toss about the fee, I would back his judgement on what we need every time over Ashley's transfer requirements.

We're likely going to need to keep Gayle aren't we? Assuming Mitro is going.

To move forward as a club we are going to need to sell him and either see a huge change in Rafa's opinion on Mitro or sell him also. Selling them both nets you 30 million or so I would wager, that's six Joselu's.

We're likely going to need to keep Gayle aren't we? Assuming Mitro is going.

To move forward as a club we are going to need to sell him and either see a huge change in Rafa's opinion on Mitro or sell him also. Selling them both nets you 30 million or so I would wager, that's six Joselu's.

Although Gayle hasn't scored enough, he hasn't exactly been shit. Depending on signings I'd be tempted to give him another chance rather than take a complete punt. Depends on who's coming in obviously.

Fuck sake man, our own fans debating the re-sale values and writing players off because they're over the hill at 29.

What have we become?

If he's the right player, in the right system, under the (clearly) right manager, just fucking sign him. I couldn't care less how much he costs or how much we might sell him for. God forbid we might actually be able to buy someone else in a couple of years without relying on selling players, or even worse, bring a youngster through.

Talking about resale values, give your head a shake man.

I think the issue with his age is down to us as a club getting value out of him.

If we spent £25 million on him. We're likely looking at having to spend a significant amount again on a striker in another 2 years? And in this period he is liekly to be on the downturn too rather than be an improving player.

Much rather see us spend the money on a younger player that is good enough, and can become even better. I'm sure Rafa will have many in mind.

Well I would just go along with the 'in Rafa we trust' mantra and leave it up to his judgement. If he thinks Slimani is worth what it takes to get him, I'm happy to back him, if he knows of someone younger or better for a similar price then great. I really don't give a toss about the fee, I would back his judgement on what we need every time over Ashley's transfer requirements.

Hard to disagree with what your saying and no I dont care for the fee it wouldn't make me dislike a player over an inflated fee as its happening everywhere we are just yet to be caught up by it from a buying prospective.

It's just in my head iam thinking budget is limited again and all comes down to how much rebuilding we need. If you feel its 2-3 players and my plucked out of thin air budget is 60m we may need 15-18m of that to keep the other two loans and that's to stand still.

Does he in the long term improve the team? rafa seems to think so but would he be such an improvement to spend most of our other funds on? Could he carry the team on his own if we don't get many other quality editions because the money went on him.I dont think he will and if he fails and we do cut our losses after 1 season what would a 31 year old with a great career declined following a move to the prem be worth? Again while what we get back doesnt affect me personally it all impacts on spending power especially under the tight fisted bastards at the min.

Again its all speculative as we may have no money again and we have to go back for loans or untried in this league which saves money but comes with uncertainty.

Be interesting to hear people's thoughts on how many players and how much money we need to consolidate or improve on say a 10-12th place finish.

in that scenario best case we get +£20m for mitro, a striker rafa is NEVER going to use, and then spend that on slimani

i would then personally look to flog gayle for £15-20m if the right buyer is there and take an educated rafa gamble on someone younger to be backup/rotate with slimani

you could feasibly sort out your strikers without spending any of the other money, that could be spent elsewhere then

but yeah we won't get 10 years of 15 goal seasons out of slimani so might as well not bother

This is exactly it :thup:

Slimani in, Mitro out for similar fees is reasonable and even likely.

I'm not so sure Rafa would want to sell Gayle prior to getting a similarly priced striker, but neither do I think Ashley would countenance signing a striker before selling Gayle. But it has to be the goal to upgrade on Gayle for little net outlay.

That sequence of transfers improves our strike-force enormously (indeed, both new strikers could flop entirely, scoring ten goals between them, and we'd still break even in a football sense) for virtually no transfer outlay. In a sense, this is what Rafa is talking about when he mentions business plans. When you have a number of these plans that are similar, and you stitch them all together, you see the sort of improvement that has happened this year extend into the future.

It seems you're arguing with people who don't know the difference between cost and value.

This is exactly it :thup:

Slimani in, Mitro out for similar fees is reasonable and even likely.

I'm not so sure Rafa would want to sell Gayle prior to getting a similarly priced striker, but neither do I think Ashley would countenance signing a striker before selling Gayle. But it has to be the goal to upgrade on Gayle for little net outlay.

That sequence of transfers improves our strike-force enormously (indeed, both new strikers could flop entirely, scoring ten goals between them, and we'd still break even in a football sense) for virtually no transfer outlay. In a sense, this is what Rafa is talking about when he mentions business plans. When you have a number of these plans that are similar, and you stitch them all together, you see the sort of improvement that has happened this year extend into the future.

It seems you're arguing with people who don't know the difference between cost and value.

#lightbulbmoment