Islam Slimani - Returned to Leicester

Figures 1-0 Football

Guest firetotheworks

He fits the profile of what we need, but he had a poor game. Not really much to say beyond that really.

Thought he did alright, expect better on Saturday. Was a shite Perez pass away from a goal.

This

Best 3 crosses (2 from Kenedy) of the match and he was on the bench

Yep, I was disappointed when he went off, even playing badly he looked dangerous.

Whilst it is harsh to judge such few and short run outs. The try before you buy may have helped us especially as i dont think he is out 20millions plus player answer to our problems based on age and fee and likely wages.

Given the age + recent injury problems + cost (wages/transfer fee), I'd argue it's too risky to spend good money on him imo. At this point in time he looks like the type of well rounded target man who looks superior to our alternative options, but one that you should only really consider if very cheap or on a free transfer. Mark Viduka would be a good example of this, good striker who many clubs didn't want to go near because of injuries, age, cost.

Also not sure about his general effort levels. Can't quite tell if he's knackered due to poor fitness or at times lazy. Seems to be very selective about when he's going to bother trying to close defenders down, sometimes he'll go full throttle but the majority of the time he's just standing there staring. Hadn't seen him much at Leicester, but do vaguely remember seeing him standing around instead of chasing defenders down. Not saying that I want a workhorse type who chases after the ball like a dog and then has no energy for things like counter attacks etc, but at this level it's common for strikers to do at least something to help out, even if it's moving casually towards the defender. It's definitely more noticeable with the likes of Slimani when they're completely stationery and giving defenders all the time in the world to pick out a pass.

Given the age + recent injury problems + cost (wages/transfer fee), I'd argue it's too risky to spend good money on him imo. At this point in time he looks like the type of well rounded target man who looks superior to our alternative options, but one that you should only really consider if very cheap or on a free transfer. Mark Viduka would be a good example of this, good striker who many clubs didn't want to go near because of injuries, age, cost.

you're insane dude :lol:  slimani is probably still in the peak of his career, is there anything to suggest the injury he got is anything but a freak?

as i was saying to stan the other day people need to get themselves into the real world - given our current status if we could sell mitro and use the money to bring slimani in it would be a good thing...who cares if we only get 2 seasons if he's banging in goals for those two seasons and we progress as a team/club?

fwiw didn't everton just pay £27m for that cenk tosun lad?  looks no better than slimani to me

you're insane dude :lol:  slimani is probably still in the peak of his career, is there anything to suggest the injury he got is anything but a freak?

as i was saying to stan the other day people need to get themselves into the real world - given our current status if we could sell mitro and use the money to bring slimani in it would be a good thing...who cares if we only get 2 seasons if he's banging in goals for those two seasons and we progress as a team/club?

fwiw didn't everton just pay £27m for that cenk tosun lad?  looks no better than slimani to me

Yeah. £27million for a 26 year old. 2 good seasons and he'll be a £50-60 million player. 2 good seasons from Slimani and we'll be looking to get him off the wage bill. Why do you think Chelsea only gave Giroud an 18 month contract?

Whilst it is harsh to judge such few and short run outs. The try before you buy may have helped us especially as i dont think he is out 20millions plus player answer to our problems based on age and fee and likely wages.

Who would be our £20million plus player answer to our problems? I was thinking last night, if we don't buy this guy it will be hard to get someone with similar attributes for that sort of money.