Newcastle United vs Manchester United - 11/02/2018 @ 14:15 - Live on Sky

I don't get what Rafa is doing with Murphy, just when Murphy was picking up and looking like he'd adjusted to us and the Prem he's not getting a look in. Yet Ritchie who's been utterly wank for months is picked, Utter shite decisions on Murphy from Rafa, awful.

Pogba, Lingard, Alexis, Martial and Lukaku all starting for Man Utd.  :lol:

Thats twice we've played a strong Man Utd, Pogba playing in both games whereas he missed a good few games where they were poor. Little things but doesn't help. Same as Man City, we played them twice when they were in great form (one game they had the whole week to prepare) whereas some of our rivals will be playing them later (maybe between 2 big champions league games or when the league is already won) and may benefit from it.

Guest neesy111

I guess Ritchie is getting picked for his hard work, that don't help if he offers fuck all going forward.

The thing is that hard work is him chasing the ball like a headless chicken, he's not very good at it.

Whenever I've watched Man United this season play teams outside the top 6 they've looked really difficult to get at. Not particularly attractive, but highly functional and solid. Their record does back that up too, only losing to Huddersfield from what I can recall. Their record and failure to turn it on in the big games is the attributing factor to them being so far behind City.

Bristol City and Spurs, Bristol especially should give teams so hope that they can be beaten, but I just don't see our side being the best set to do so. Our strengths so far have been being hard to score against, and being functional. Whilst in my mind, that really hasn't worked on the whole, I do appreciate that our weakness really is being able to attack teams.

Think it was noted on MNF a while ago, that we need far more players involved in attacks to open up teams - which is totally true. But even then, when we do commit forward the abject quality sees offensive situations and transitions break down constantly. That happens against some of the worst defences in the league.

I rate Man United as one of the most defensively solid teams across the whole pitch, so pairing that up with how we struggle to attack effectively, I just don't see us being able to threaten them. That's not even mentioning the quality they have. Likes of Pogba, Lukaku, Martial are well known flat track bullies - and just have a horrible feeling that today will be a day when they turn it on, and the country is left lauding how great Pogba is once more. 

Very good analysis, the only bit I'd argue is that we are very hard to score against. I don't think we are, we are very well organised defensively, but individually the defence isn't that good so someone is always likely to f*** up somewhere during the 90 mins.

Sadly would agree. We invite pressure onto ourselves to no end sometimes, and whilst we make it difficult and a pain in the arse for teams to score - they inevitably do. On the whole, I think it's fair to say we are stronger defensively than offensively. But you need the right balance, with a threat and capability going forward or in possession. That's where we lack compared to many teams around us, which ends up with us defending a lot more.   

I don't think many teams in the bottom half really are considerably strong defensively though, we are probably one of the better sides at it simply because our principle in every game is that we are organised and structured across the pitch.

I guess Ritchie is getting picked for his hard work, that don't help if he offers fuck all going forward.

The thing is that hard work is him chasing the ball like a headless chicken, he's not very good at it.

Aye, he's not even that good at it. I don't get his selection, on form, ability or common sense.

What the fuck are people on about comparing Slimani to Doumbia ect?, fucking weirdo's :lol:

He came with an injury so its hardly surprising that he's missed two games.

The idea was that he was gonna be fit today, especially in the build-up he's had in the local press all week! If Rafa's decided he's not fit, there's not a lot we can do. Just highlights the stupidity of the transfer policy, once again.

Watching Lejeune's first game in months and a brand new goalkeeper against their attack should be fun if nothing else.

2-0, Lukaku and Martial.

Watching the over-reactions if we lose will be more fun tbh  :lol:

Part of me just wishes Rafa would start picking a consistent XI.

Swapping and changing personnel for each other every week hasn't seemed to make much of a difference up to now.

It's never been a case of player X coming in and starting this week and you can really see why their in the team.

Yeah, not sure rotation is going to have a positive effect in our position. Usually I'm in favour.

Testing the Mourinho doesn't win at SJP jinx/curse to the limit with that lineup. Slimani is going to be vital, so I understand not risking him, but what a poor set of options we have.

Ritchie and Gayle have severely disappointed this season, so here is a chance for deliverance, I suppose. If its not looking likely, I hope we're still in it for Murphy to have a go.