Newcastle United vs Manchester United - 11/02/2018 @ 14:15 - Live on Sky

Can see Rafa's tactical nouse come to the fore....get everyone behind the ball out of possession. I'll be amazed if he starts a recognised striker. We start with a point at 0-0 - KEEP IT.

I thought we/he set-up perfectly at Old Trafford. Scored the important first goal and could have had more. Gayle and Joselu started, with Shelvey and Hayden flanked by Ritchie and Murphy. It worked well, in the main. Don't think the defence covered themselves in glory, mind (Manquillo, Clark, Lejeune, Yedlin and Elliot in goal) but tbf they were up against some great players.

We had 12 shots (5 on) to their 16 (7 on) with 35% of the possession.

Sadly, I predict this will be Man United's more comfortable wins in recent weeks.

To anyone who actually thinks we can win this game - how exactly do you see us being able to win?

I can realistically see us not getting smashed, but winning, or even drawing - most definitely not.

That's the spirit.

He's probably right though. The only chance of us winning is to keep a clean sheet, and I don't feel confident we've got the defenders to do that against their attack.

Short notice I know but can't make the game today, so I've got an adult and child ticket in the Upper Gallowgate somebody is welcome to use gratis, if they want to take their kid along.

Will need collecting/dropping in Jesmond. First come, first served.

Trying to ignore logic to think we'll get something but I just can't see it.  They will beat us fairly comfortably

Same. Man City running away with the title makes it somewhat easy to forget Man United are the second best team in the league.

Whenever I've watched Man United this season play teams outside the top 6 they've looked really difficult to get at. Not particularly attractive, but highly functional and solid. Their record does back that up too, only losing to Huddersfield from what I can recall. Their record and failure to turn it on in the big games is the attributing factor to them being so far behind City.

Bristol City and Spurs, Bristol especially should give teams so hope that they can be beaten, but I just don't see our side being the best set to do so. Our strengths so far have been being hard to score against, and being functional. Whilst in my mind, that really hasn't worked on the whole, I do appreciate that our weakness really is being able to attack teams.

Think it was noted on MNF a while ago, that we need far more players involved in attacks to open up teams - which is totally true. But even then, when we do commit forward the abject quality sees offensive situations and transitions break down constantly. That happens against some of the worst defences in the league.

I rate Man United as one of the most defensively solid teams across the whole pitch, so pairing that up with how we struggle to attack effectively, I just don't see us being able to threaten them. That's not even mentioning the quality they have. Likes of Pogba, Lukaku, Martial are well known flat track bullies - and just have a horrible feeling that today will be a day when they turn it on, and the country is left lauding how great Pogba is once more.

If the team 2nd bottom can do it, so can we :thup:

Cheer up.

Whenever I've watched Man United this season play teams outside the top 6 they've looked really difficult to get at. Not particularly attractive, but highly functional and solid. Their record does back that up too, only losing to Huddersfield from what I can recall. Their record and failure to turn it on in the big games is the attributing factor to them being so far behind City.

Bristol City and Spurs, Bristol especially should give teams so hope that they can be beaten, but I just don't see our side being the best set to do so. Our strengths so far have been being hard to score against, and being functional. Whilst in my mind, that really hasn't worked on the whole, I do appreciate that our weakness really is being able to attack teams.

Think it was noted on MNF a while ago, that we need far more players involved in attacks to open up teams - which is totally true. But even then, when we do commit forward the abject quality sees offensive situations and transitions break down constantly. That happens against some of the worst defences in the league.

I rate Man United as one of the most defensively solid teams across the whole pitch, so pairing that up with how we struggle to attack effectively, I just don't see us being able to threaten them. That's not even mentioning the quality they have. Likes of Pogba, Lukaku, Martial are well known flat track bullies - and just have a horrible feeling that today will be a day when they turn it on, and the country is left lauding how great Pogba is once more. 

Very good analysis, the only bit I'd argue is that we are very hard to score against. I don't think we are, we are very well organised defensively, but individually the defence isn't that good so someone is always likely to fuck up somewhere during the 90 mins.

Guest reefatoon

In 13 home games we've won 3, haven't won in 8 at home and have failed to beat Bournemouth, Leicester, Brighton, Swansea and Burnley in that run.  We'll get beat tonight, draw at best if we're lucky.

Fucking hell, that really is atrocious mind. Our home form is an absolute shambles.

We need to go and win this, we really do - teams in and around us have been getting results against the top 6. Really is about time we do that this year and fast because we are running out of time.

Our home form is seriously tragic, unless that is turned around we are gone.