Ray Wilkins dies aged 61

Dave

I loved his co-commentary of our game v Chelsea in 2004 (one where Shearer bullied Desailly and smashed one in). He seemed in awe of the ground and atmosphere and was mentioning it all game.

RIP. :(

yes. for some reason, i always remember him for his commentary on that match. he spoke fondly of our fans and our team on that day. Was a likeable pundit too.

To think cunts like Kinnear and Pardew are still alive and sharing the same oxygen and us and good blokes like Ray have been taken away too soon.

RIP Ray.

Guest Howaythetoon

Forgot he was on football Italia a few times as well. Probably too nice to be a manager, but he seemed to be a good coach.

Guest firetotheworks

First player that I've seen play that's died with what could be conceivably considered as age-related circumstances. :(

So sad like, I remember wondering why a hunched over old man was playing for QPR when I was a kid and then realising that he was just bald, a bit hunched, but was canny good. Vaguely remember him on Football Italia as well and enjoyed his insight as a pundit just after Andy Gray left and thought Sky might have kept him on as well. His Keegan/SBR idiosyncrasies were class.

Guest Howaythetoon

Again when he was co commentating on our 2-1 win against Cheslea years back when Shola and Shearer scored, despite Chelsea being his team, he was so complimentary about us as a club and the atmosphere, he was practically enthusing about our play, our players, fans, tenstadium, club etc. That to me said he was a genuine football man who loved watching good players and a good game of football even if his team was on the losing end.

:( Awful.

Had Talksport on driving home from work. They had Josh McEachran on, who Wilkins coached at Chelsea. The thing that stood out from him and all the fans they took calls from was how personable Wilkins was. I think every comment included how much time he had for people, ranging from bigger presenters and players to club staff and stewards.

Seemed like a proper good egg. RIP.

Very sad news. Far, far too young. Poor family will be utterly devastated.

I never met him but know a couple of folk who have and unanimously they say he was an absolute gentleman. I always enjoyed his commentaries and found him to have a good sense of humour as well as being quietly insightful.

RIP.

Guest Howaythetoon

Yep, that game is the stand out Wilkins memory. The Shearer goal even got a "my word" I think. :lol:

Aye I think that’s the first time I’ve heard the “my word” line. Was a great game that mind, sunny day at SJP and a marvellous atmosphere capped by two good goals. We were all over Chelsea that day and Shearer was immense.

Guest Howaythetoon

Very good footballer for his position, nice guy, solid professional but a terrible pundit, so let’s not rewrite history there.  :embarrassed:

RIP Ray

I thought he was canny myself, he’d waffle on when in the studio, but co commentating he was good I thought.

Very good footballer for his position, nice guy, solid professional but a terrible pundit, so let’s not rewrite history there.  :embarrassed:

RIP Ray

I thought he was canny myself, he’d waffle on when in the studio, but co commentating he was good I thought.

His opinions on us were full of cliche riddled southern claptrap. He knew the game, but he didn’t know any team outside on London or top 4.

Guest Howaythetoon

RIP Ray

His opinions on us were full of cliche riddled southern claptrap. He knew the game, but he didn’t know any team outside on London or top 4.

I always thought he was often bang on about us, big club, should be doing better, huge passionate fan base, great atmosphere etc. If anything it was the great atmosphere that was the cliche because as we all know, it’s the exception to the rule at SJP.

RIP Ray

I always thought he was often bang on about us, big club, should be doing better, huge passionate fan base, great atmosphere etc. If anything it was the great atmosphere that was the cliche because as we all know, it’s the exception to the rule at SJP.

Reckoned Rafa shouldn’t have been given our job and should have went to and Englishman for starters.  :lol:

RIP Ray

I disliked his pfm type views. I remember him saying about Villa when they were relegated and looking for a manager "whoever they get, I just hope he's english". He said similar things about their signings too.

However today isn't the day to go all Crumpy and list through things Ray Wilkins said I didn't like.

Guest firetotheworks

RIP Ray

Needless. No one's reinventing. It's very simple, not everyone has the same opinion.