Newcastle United 1 - 0 Huddersfield Town - 31/03/18 - Post-match joy from pg 14

Dave

Deserved win and should have been clear by half time, We are a decent centre forward away from being a solid at least mid table team (if they exist anymore).

A decent CF in the summer and we’d currently be fighting for European football*, infuriating to say the least.

*providing Southampton don’t win the FA Cup.

Deserved win and should have been clear by half time, We are a decent centre forward away from being a solid at least mid table team (if they exist anymore).

A decent CF in the summer and we’d currently be fighting for European football*, infuriating to say the least.

We wouldn't like. We'd be comfortable though and not worrying about relegation the way we have recently.

We wouldn't like. We'd be comfortable though and not worrying about relegation the way we have recently.

Burnley are 11 points ahead of us, if we had a proper PL CF we could easily have 10 more points on the board and fighting for that place.

Burnley (h and a), Swansea (h), Everton (h), Leicester (h), Brighton (h and a), Bournemouth (h and a) - all games where a better CF in the team would have seen us have a higher points total.

Burnley are 11 points ahead of us, if we had a proper PL CF we could easily have 10 more points on the board and fighting for that place.

Burnley (h and a), Swansea (h), Everton (h), Leicester (h), Brighton (h and a), Bournemouth (h and a) - all games where a better CF in the team would have seen us have a higher points total.

Burnley away wasn't really bad finishing as all round poor and negative play, as was Brighton away. Everton home was just bad luck, Swansea Home we didn't squander much.

We kind of agree I just dont think we'd have been as high up. I don't think our squad is a s bad as some try to make out but we are desperately lacking in a very vital area.

Burnley away wasn't really bad finishing as all round poor and negative play, as was Brighton away. Everton home was just bad luck, Swansea Home we didn't squander much.

We kind of agree I just dont think we'd have been as high up. I don't think our squad is a s bad as some try to make out but we are desperately lacking in a very vital area.

We had 17 shots in the Brighton away game, compared to their 7. We had plenty of chances to get something. Swansea we should have won, we missed plenty of decent chances. Burnley I’ll concede, but you could just replace that for Southampton away where we could have won if we had took one of our decent chances.

Even 8-9 points more would have us fighting for 7th place - that’s turning 3 draws into wins and Everton or Leicester (h) around. Easily doable if we had a PL striker on our books.

We had 17 shots in the Brighton away game, compared to their 7. We had plenty of chances to get something. Swansea we should have won, we missed plenty of decent chances. Burnley I’ll concede, but you could just replace that for Southampton away where we could have won if we had took one of our decent chances.

Even 8-9 points more would have us fighting for 7th place - that’s turning 3 draws into wins and Everton or Leicester (h) around. Easily doable if we had a PL striker on our books.

17 shots maybe but I don't remember coming away from it thinking we deserved something from the game. Makes me think they weren't good chances.

It's not just the quality striker that's been missing, most of who Rafa has tried behind the striker haven't been good enough either and before Kenedy arrived all winger options were average at best imo.

In fairness Ritchie has stepped up since then but before that he and the others weren't good enough, it meant that those behind them kept the team afloat while the front 4 repeatedly under performed.

I'm sure most teams in the bottom half probably think if they added 4 players they'd be looking at Europe too.

17 shots maybe but I don't remember coming away from it thinking we deserved something from the game. Makes me think they weren't good chances.

BBC

Newcastle, who had won their past three league matches, had chances, but Mikel Merino's volley was pushed wide by Mat Ryan, Joselu twice missed when well placed, and substitute Jonjo Shelvey hit a post direct from a corner.

Chronicle

The Magpies stumbled down the Premier League table and ended their winning run but it could have been different had they taken their chances.

Would look for more, but cant be arsed :lol:

Anyway, I think we agree in the main. With a few points difference.

It's not just the quality striker that's been missing, most of who Rafa has tried behind the striker haven't been good enough either and before Kenedy arrived all winger options were average at best imo.

In fairness Ritchie has stepped up since then but before that he and the others weren't good enough, it meant that those behind them kept the team afloat while the front 4 repeatedly under performed.

I'm sure most teams in the bottom half probably think if they added 4 players they'd be looking at Europe too.

Eh? :lol: We’re talking about 1 player... a decent striker.

Yeah and you're deluded if you think one player makes that much difference and also ignoring the fact the entire front 4 has been shit most of the season not just the striker.

Cisse (one player) pretty much single handedly kept us up with his goals once. Replace him with Gayle/Joselu and we’d have gone down that season. Remy the season before that too.

Of course one quality player (particularly an attacking player) can be the difference of 8-10 points over the course of a season man, get away.

Wonder if Everton would have 8-10 more points if they still had Lukaku.

Would just like to say to the guy at half time who corrected me and mate that it wasnt a backpass at end of first half that the goalie picked up and that it came off shins, we were literally in the worst place in crowd to get a good view of it, couldnt see the screen, no need to go "helps if you know the rules of the game" at us  :hmm: