Sunderland

Kaizero

Will Sunderland Be Promoted from LEAGUE ONE? 0 = No chance 10 = Definitely  

643 members have voted

1. 1. Will Sunderland Be Promoted from LEAGUE ONE? 0 = No chance 10 = Definitely

This poll is closed to new votes

The issue of Sunderland's finances is inextricably linked with the ownership of Ellis Short.

Not even relegation to League One with the 'luxury' of a £35m parachute payment from the Premier League will put them in a favourable position.

The debt remains huge, even if player sales and the reduction in wage bill to £35m have trimmed down the last reported figures of £137.3m from April 2017.

To put it into perspective, Uefa's annual report lists Sunderland as having the 13th highest net debt in Europe, more than that of Paris St-Germain, Porto and rivals Newcastle.

Former Manchester City and Everton midfielder Jack Rodwell remains under contract and, although his salary also recedes, it still totals upwards of £40,000 per week. By contrast, the average salary of a League One player is between £1,700 and £2,500.

Any transfer fees or other sources of income such as parachute payments, central funding or television revenues - the majority of which are reduced in the third tier - will go straight towards servicing debt.

What a pair of utter bellends man :anguish:

It's all fine laughing at them from a distance, but there's no absolutely no need to rub it in outside the ground like.

Arseholes. I went to the Bournemouth game that saw them down for the Premier last season, not once did I think of acting like a cunt and revel in their misery....I at least waited till I was back in the house.

TBH I felt sorry for them, brought back memories of our own relegations. This one though I’ve absolutely no sympathy for them.

Everything about Sunderland is just a comedy of errors at present. That video of the keeper warming up tells you all you need to know about their frame of mind prior to yesterdays fixture. Absolutely laughable.

Sunderland have been consistently shit for many a year now, even in the Premier League. It's not like their demise started last season. Despite this, they're not alone and actually Sunderland are probably the iconic team associated with everything that's wrong with football in it's present day form. The Premier League has been consistently filled up with "fillers" for a good 10-15 years rather than people actually willing to compete and climb the table and yet, Newcastle fans are universally stereotyped and ridiculed as delusional for expecting "above their station" in terms of achievement.

Sport is about winning. Whether you win 4-3, 3-0 or 1-0 from a scrappy own goal is almost irrelevant. Sports teams and individuals should want to be the best in their chosen field. Doing that in an entertaining form is obviously beneficial both financially and cosmetically (?) for love of a better term but winning is your bread and butter.

You look at the Premier League and the 3 teams going down this season: West Brom - hiring someone like Pardew in their time of need. They've been in the Premier League for around 7 years (?) and what for? They've done nowt but tried to stay in the division. Stoke are similar, after being in the division for like 9 years. It's understandable that as a business model, staying on the gravy train is imperative, but as a sporting model they (Sunderland) have epically failed. The final club (who I think will be down) are Southampton. They've had countless amounts of top drawer players and instead of keeping onto them and building around them they've cashed in, time after time, and slowly the tap of talent has all but dried up and they've fallen. If Southampton kept their players and built around them, they'd have probably see cup wins and / or European football. Instead the status quo of big 4/5/6 teams is maintained and clubs like Southampton drop. (Granted, Southampton are in a cup semi final today but will no doubt be beaten.)

Sunderland are the kings in this department. In the Premier League for 9 consecutive seasons and the most points they've gained is 47 points. A points total that Newcastle look capable of hitting this season despite having an owner like Mike Ashley. Just for reference across the 9 seasons this is the points they've got:

That's a mean average of 39 points and that's rounded up.

In other words, they've not reached that elusive 40 points two-thirds of the time, which for most would have meant relegation, more than once. They've teetered on the edge of relegation for so long and their Ellis Short-termism with regards to their managers has proven to be their down fall, amongst numerous other terrible sporting (and business) decisions. They've never allowed to let a manager settle, or build, or rebuild, but they've thrown money at every new manager they've had. Subsequently, in their desperate attempts to comfortably stay in the league, the money has dried up and they've turned to loan signings, any player worth their salt has been sold on to clubs that aspire to be more. Asset stripped on the pitch, they've become asset stripped in terms of support. Free tickets dished out wherever possible in a desperate attempt to make Sunderland "a family club" when the reality was far different. Their relatively loyal support has dwindled because they've been shit and have aspired to be nothing more than a "filler" for years.

For what it's worth, I'd fucking hate the likes of Rodwell if I was inbred. He's getting paid an absolute fortune for fuck all, probably creating a bad atmosphere at the club (intentionally or not), he's a millionaire and he hasn't done the decent thing and just fucked off. But then, why would or should he. Besides he'd have a normal amount of fingers and toes. Thank fuck I'm not a mutant.

The combination of high playing and coaching staff turnover and high wages for mediocre players has crippled them and they're paying for that to this day. Their ground  is a shit hole and the litter and pink seats are just two examples of that. To be fair to them, litter aside, our ground isn't much better. It's the most obvious sign of where our respective business owners' priorities lie.

It's no wonder really, that having gone down with record low points on more than occasion (?) & being utterly dog shit for 10 seasons their supporters only had one thing to cheer about and that was an 18 points total against their local and fiercest rivals. But of course the 20 odd years of never beating us on home turf that proceeded that never happened (I don't think I made that up).

Not sure if they've always been this way, but in my adult life they've become disillusioned and delusional. They're obsessive about us because actually, they don't aspire to be anything other than safe and better than us. If Newcastle United is another clubs unit of measure then you're really not running your organisation well, it's probably as simple as that.

Beaten, bust and completely broken. Karma's a bitch...ay?

We're all glory hunters apparently, we were all MLFs before Keegan and Hall arrived. The Sunderland lads are the real fans.

No way, he’s a big EDL fan. I’d never have guessed.

Why is she biting her hand ?

Fabier Boreyney

Guest firetotheworks

I've said it before, but if there really are any 'Keegan-era plastic mags' they've probably put any idea of them being glory hunters to bed if they're still here like.

Guest covmag

Is that Janey on RTG?

it has to be, what an ugly cunt she is, the bitter bitch, imagine having a trakkie top with that on man.

Guest firetotheworks

She's defined by her hatred for Newcastle rather than her love for Sunderland. :lol:

I know we've got some knackers like that as well like and it makes me cringe my tits off when I see it, but fucking hell, RTG is hilarious for that sort of thing.