Sunderland

Kaizero

Will Sunderland Be Promoted from LEAGUE ONE? 0 = No chance 10 = Definitely  

643 members have voted

1. 1. Will Sunderland Be Promoted from LEAGUE ONE? 0 = No chance 10 = Definitely

This poll is closed to new votes

So there’s no more parachute money, negligible sponsorship and kit deals, small tv payments and potentially no fans buying tickets. How on earth are they going to survive? I mean forget about moving up the leagues, I mean how are they going to honour their bills without another loan? Loads of them are out of contract but but reserves and youths are some of the worst in the country so they can’t dip into that little pool of players to fill the squad out. They’re in so much shit man.

As much as they as a football club get on my nerves at times I dont want them to go bust.  After all they are a local football team that has strong links to its community.  We've had it awful under Ashley with a total disconnect from our community and city.  Can you image what it would do to the city of Sunderland if they folded?

It would do them a favour to be fair. Remove that giant chip on their shoulder and the place would be a lot less angry, bitter and depressed all the time. Even if it would still resemble chickentown

I’m sure that Dell consortium loaned them £10m which is tied to the academy and stadium.

There is no way Donald is going to be able to pay that back, he’s going end up defaulting on it. The big question then is if they would swoop in and buy the club as well, or just sell the stadium and academy. There will be even bigger questions about who would have the money to buy the academy and stadium off them.

If they don’t find a buyer for the club then not only is the club done, but the city as well. Having a stadium with no football team would just create another Reynolds arena like fiasco, where theirs no reason to have it. Let’s be honest a couple of concerts in the summer isn’t enough to keep it going, and we are at least a year away from that being possible.

He defaults and they own the club. It's pretty much what they all hope for. Problem is, they don't want it, especially now with everything going on. A ground with social distancing in place makes no money. The academy was worth money for land, but development will be down for some time to come.

If thry do anything it'll be extend the agreement, which doesn't help them at all.

Tbf social distancing wouldn't make a bit of difference to them. Each fan could already have about 6 seats to themselves

So there’s no more parachute money, negligible sponsorship and kit deals, small tv payments and potentially no fans buying tickets. How on earth are they going to survive? I mean forget about moving up the leagues, I mean how are they going to honour their bills without another loan? Loads of them are out of contract but but reserves and youths are some of the worst in the country so they can’t dip into that little pool of players to fill the squad out. They’re in so much shit man.

I hear their beloved Mike Ashley wants to stay in football...

As much as they as a football club get on my nerves at times I dont want them to go bust.  After all they are a local football team that has strong links to its community.  We've had it awful under Ashley with a total disconnect from our community and city.  Can you image what it would do to the city of Sunderland if they folded?

It would do them a favour to be fair. Remove that giant chip on their shoulder and the place would be a lot less angry, bitter and depressed all the time. Even if it would still resemble chickentown

I don’t agree.

The fans who have a bitterness already won’t be helped by their club going bust.

The North East needs to look past this obsession that for Newcastle to succeed Sunderland needs to fail and vice versa.

Having a city in our region that has no real levels of a reasonable economy does not help us. We needs Sunderland as well as other areas of the region to be more prosperous. Having a city full of people living in area with no facilities, no opportunities, and even losing their football club isn’t going to make any of them less bitter. It isn’t going to help them either.

I don’t agree.

The fans who have a bitterness already won’t be helped by their club going bust.

The North East needs to look past this obsession that for Newcastle to succeed Sunderland needs to fail and vice versa.

Having a city in our region that has no real levels of a reasonable economy does not help us. We needs Sunderland as well as other areas of the region to be more prosperous. Having a city full of people living in area with no facilities, no opportunities, and even losing their football club isn’t going to make any of them less bitter. It isn’t going to help them either.

I want the best for the North East. Its my region and I want it to be as strong as possible. I certainly wouldn't wish on any area of it to be even worse off or levelled, because with what is happening now its a possibility and lives will be destroyed.

It's sad people can't separate a football rivalry from real life. Same dickheads wishing Nissan to go bust not realising the impact will reach all across the North East.

I don’t agree.

I want the best for the North East. Its my region and I want it to be as strong as possible. I certainly wouldn't wish on any area of it to be even worse off or levelled, because with what is happening now its a possibility and lives will be destroyed.

It's sad people can't separate a football rivalry from real life. Same dickheads wishing Nissan to go bust not realising the impact will reach all across the North East.

Exactly.

Guest chopey

I have a few mates that are Sunderland fans and we have loads in common especially about football, I love watching England games with them for instance, but on the subject of Newcastle and Sunderland our views are poles apart and its caused some real bad feeling especially around derby day, however I would never want to see them go bust.

I think they will get their Dell takeover eventually but might have to wait a couple of years for it to happen in the current and near-future footballing environment. That will be the beginning of their upturn. In the meantime I hope they suffer as much footballing misery as possible. Starting from next week.

I think the most diplomatic answer is 'I want the same for them as they would want for us'.

We all know what the general consensus would be on that front...

If they just knew their place and what they are and acknowledged the fact NUFC is a far superior club then they wouldn't even bother me in the slightest and maybe I could wish them well. But the fact they actually somehow believe they are on a par with us is mental levels of delusion

Imagine being steaming at 2:52am and posting this on Ready to Groom. I actually don't even feel bitterness, just pure pity for the guy. What a desolate life he must have.

https://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/march-to-may-2020-newcastle-ufc.1507830/post-31641372

Yesterday at 8:52 PM

To be honest, I'd sell my soul for this takeover to collapse. I hate the bastards. I hate them as much as I love us. Anyone that says otherwise didn't really care that much about football to begin with. FUCK THE MAGS.

Aye, had a few cans like.

The problem is that they sold their soul for each "Great Escape" and the "Six-in-a-Row" and now they have nothing left to bargain with.

Devil says.... "I already have your soul, that's why you're where you are.  Got anything else?  No?  Nothing?" 

The Americans who loaned them money have absolutely no interest in the club they loaned them the money with an assurity against the real estate. If they had any inclination of taking the club they would have just bought the Don out there and then.

The club is still making huge losses and will continue to do so they are now going to have to cut their cloth even more to survive in league 1. They will be in administration by xmas and could be in league 2 within 12 months

See, this is what I assumed as well. They've been making losses of 20-30m over the years and whilst they've drastically cut cost and obviously don't have to pay their annual 7-8m rent over their debt anymore since Short wiped it out, their income has taken a huge plunge. Their TV revenue has gone to from something like 100m to about 2m now they will have no more parachute payments next season. The fact they will remain a League One club now for definite can only mean financial ruin with their massive cost base (for a League One club) and considering how little revenue they will have left (no TV revenue, no matchday revenue for the foreseeable). And yet...

I stumbled upon an article earlier with Methven holding up Sunderland as a beacon of financial stability that other clubs should aspire to become, saying stuff like:

“The reason the club is in a position to be able to do that is because it is - I would say - in the strongest financial position of any club in the EFL.

“It’s debt-free, it has a breakeven business model, it’s spending around 45% of its turnover on player wages, and because of the recent investment has sufficient cash.

“So unlike a lot of other clubs who have been going through a more expansionary period, shall we say, with a lot more of their turnover being paid on player wages, Sunderland is now in a solid position to trade its way through these difficult times and come out the other end in one piece.

“Of course, we have to keep a close eye on developments, but as things stand Sunderland is in a position where it’s able to plan for the future, and by that I mean squad planning, future marketing plans etc. because it doesn’t have to spend all day desperately wondering how to pay the bills.”

“I’m going to try not to be ‘I told you so’ about this, but this is precisely why football clubs have to be run sustainably,” he said.

“If one thing comes out of the Netflix series I hope it is my determination to get Sunderland as a football club to run sustainably and not to be reliant on the whim of this person or that person bankrolling it year after year. It’s no way to run any business because ultimately, as we now see, you never know what is around the corner.

“It’s not always going to be something like what we’re experiencing now, but there could be anything completely out of our control - a spate of bad weather that means we’re not able to play games for a month, for example - and you have to be better prepared. The reality is s*** happens sometimes. The question has to be, ‘have you mended the roof so that when it happens you are able to shelter and survive, and once the storm has passed, prosper thereafter?’

“Or do you go in with a leaky roof spending the whole storm desperately trying to keep your house in order?

Methven continued: “Like Rick Parry said, this is the big wake-up call. This is the time now for stronger rules to be put in place to ensure that clubs aren’t at risk of going bankrupt because of one-off events here and there.

“I know the EFL have been trying to encourage Championship clubs to accept more regulation on playing wages for some time, and some of the ambitious Championship clubs have been very resistant to that.

“Now is the time, I think, that those clubs have to accept they can’t be going to the government with their begging bowls one month, then straight back to their former ways six months later.

“Football League clubs have to be run more sustainably. Unlike Premier League clubs, they’re often not in a position to access external finance, because ultimately they are small businesses once they are outside of the top flight.

“The long term future of the football clubs should not be risked for an attempt at short-term glory. The clubs serve a whole community, and that should not be risked for any reason. That principle is something I sincerely believe in.

“I know over the past 18 months sections of supporters have been anxious for the club to ramp up its playing wage bill and transfer spending, but we’ve always been very resistant to that sort of approach. I know it was very unfashionable at the time, but I wonder if maybe in a quiet reflective moment, a few people might perhaps look back and think, ‘thank goodness they didn’t do what I was asking for – I see where they were coming from now’.”

Apart from the complete lack of self awareness in the fact that he doesn't even mention how Short parted with the best part of 300m to get rid of them and that's what they have to thank for not being up to their eyeballs in debt like many other clubs, that's quite the statement. Looking forward to their next set of accounts, should be fascinating. I can't see how you could maintain facilities of that size without considerable income, let alone having some of their old PL players still on the books for relatively massive wages, and not run a massive operating loss.