Sunderland

Kaizero

Will Sunderland Be Promoted from LEAGUE ONE? 0 = No chance 10 = Definitely  

643 members have voted

1. 1. Will Sunderland Be Promoted from LEAGUE ONE? 0 = No chance 10 = Definitely

This poll is closed to new votes

Surprised if people are genuinely disappointed that they have/are about to be sold. Firstly, change of ownership is risky, could just as well be out of the frying pan into the fire and we’d hardly be thrilled with the Peckham International Trading Company ‘portfoilo’ (Oxford, Eastleigh, Sunlun) if they were buying us. Secondly, they are going to be in the third tier, man. Again. Who cares and good luck to them. They’re irrelevant.

Not so much the new owners as the bank debt being reportedly paid down. Was hoping for a points deduction and formal financial hardship.

so short has just paid £120-130m or whatever it is to get rid of the club?  remarkable stuff really

Seems more correct to say he has paid the £60m odd that was owed to external creditors, and waived the similar amount of money that the club owed to him. Still a stunning move, motivated by a level of desperation I never want to experience! I think discussions about deferred payments to Short would relate to this portion of their debt. It also makes you wonder where the parachute payments go.

I'm sure I read somewhere that they're losing £2m a month. How is a no mark consortium going to plug that hole and staunch that bleeding? :lol:

This is one of the reasons I was happy Ashley didn't sell to some chancer when it was allegedly for sale at around £100m in 2009. They might do ok and I think they'll piss promotion (though Blackpool have big investment to come in the summer too apparently), but I can't see the sort of spree that Keane had to get them to the Premier League last time they were taken over. They'll probably become a well run Championship club with the occasional promotion which is probably their true level.

Being an obsessed mag I have frequented RTG a bit over the last few months to chuckle at their misery.  One thing I recall is that at least one if their takeovers fell through as Eliis was looking for very complex payment terms.  This kind of aligns with the theory of no debt but a lot of strings attached for future payments.

How does ffp work with this? Surely theyre in debt due to overspending but now receive a huge payment to cancel that out from the current owner.

I don't think it will matter.  In the third tier there is just a wages cap.  Their turnover will allow them to cherry pick the players if they have the cash to cover it.

Guest homersthirdnipple

Being an obsessed mag I have frequented RTG a bit over the last few months to chuckle at their misery.  One thing I recall is that at least one if their takeovers fell through as Eliis was looking for very complex payment terms.  This kind of aligns with the theory of no debt but a lot of strings attached for future payments.

In his statement Short said there were higher bidders, but these guys were the preferred bid. So there must be some cash being paid to him at some point.

In his statement Short said there were higher bidders, but these guys were the preferred bid. So there must be some cash being paid to him at some point.

That and the offer they made was without looking at the books according to Mackam Gray. Wouldn’t be surprised if this fell through.

They should get out of that league no problem with the amount they could spend compared to those around them, but depends on getting the right manager and a shit load of players. They will need to shift most of their current squad / first 11 and any promising younger players will likely be picked up by Championship or lower Premier teams.

People comparing Wigan and Blackburn coming up to these, but they probably had less turnover of players and started from a good point to compete at that level. The stench of failure will be rife in that club and will need someone to come in and build positively and know how to build a team not a bunch of overpaid losers.

This bullshit about not liking to see your rivals suffer is just bollox.  All it is is people trying to make out that their team is somehow bigger and better therefore their rivals are insignificant.  On match days I look for us winning 95% and them losing 5%.  Them losing will never come close to making up for us losing but when we win and they lose it’s totally the icing on the cake. 

So I care who takes over them.  I want them to rot for a while. Having said that when eventually we are back in the same division bring it on.  Derby days without Pardew will be back. Bring it.

Just been listening to Mickey Gray on the wireless and he reckons this bid has been accepted without them even looking at the books, and noth8 gbhas been signed yet. Thinking about it, there's no way a bloke like Short writes off nigh on £150m without some sort of caveats, no way.

My gut feeling is this Stewart fella is some two bob chancer who will be borrowing against the club's assets. They're going to be losing money the day he takes over, will he have the money to cover the losses?

This could go very wrong indeed, be careful what you wish for springs to mind!

Not really Sunderland related but people have been talking about Bob Mortimer's 'Athletico Mince' in this thread, Bob is the guest on the latest Adam Buxton podcast on Spotify.

Adam Buxton describes 'Athletico Mince' and says it includes "sketches and songs designed to offend the people of Sunderland.....in the North East of England". He says that bit like his listeners won't have heard of Sunderland before.

Their new owners will have done a very impressive job if they get them promoted back to the Championship at the first attempt. It will be even more impressive if they get them challenging to get back to the Premiership in 2 seasons. They've said they are going to run the club sensibly. That means they aren't going to spend more than they bring in. Even if Sunderland fans filled the stadium every home game that's peanuts money these days.

I think it's very likely that if/when the full details of the deal drip out the current blind euphoria on rtg will very quickly turn around. They've pretty much all gone from despising him to being entirely confident he's a good bloke with the interest of the club at heart and has given them a parting gift of £140m. There will almost certainly be some very big strings attached to that.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's walked away retaining the ownership of all their land and property, rights to the parachute payment income, player sales and lots of other caveats.

The new owner sounds a bit of a charlatan, said a few weeks back the deal wouldn’t be happening.  Now he’s left Eastleigh in the shit, they’ve had 4 managers apparently since last season.  Anyone putting upwards of £10 million into semi professional football is going to see a relative amount of “successs” bearing in mind there is literally no money at that level.

This could be what they are all hoping for but equally could be an unmitigated disaster

Assumptions that they should easily win promotion from the 3rd division because of how much they can spend on wages compared to other teams, would by the same logic have had them around 7th in the Premier League and promoted first time from the Championship.