Sunderland

Kaizero

Will Sunderland Be Promoted from LEAGUE ONE? 0 = No chance 10 = Definitely  

643 members have voted

1. 1. Will Sunderland Be Promoted from LEAGUE ONE? 0 = No chance 10 = Definitely

This poll is closed to new votes

Even with Cattermole and Rodwell etc eating up wages they will still have a wage budget that will dwarf every team in that league.

Complete guesswork.

Could as easily have just been bought by a consortium who’s major investor owns Eastleigh.

It's not complete guesswork.

Clubs in League One can only spend a maximum of 60% of their overall annual turnover on wages. Sunderland's turnover is 5 or 6 times most clubs down there, and 10 times in terms of some of the smaller teams, and they have the added bonus of being able to spend 75% of their income on wages as a relegated club from the Championship.

Realistically based on the current contract situations it's only Cattermole and Rodwell who will be sitting around eating into the wage bill, leaving them a huge amount relatively to spend on building a team. League One clubs don't spend on transfer fees, which means they can outbid all the other sides down there for players in terms of wages. Unless Birmingham go down as well, they have no realistic rivals of a similar size.

The only hope there was for them struggling down there was if they got stuck being unable to sell the club and were saddled with the debt. That's gone now and they have a whole summer to prepare. They will absolutely piss it.

Even with Cattermole and Rodwell etc eating up wages they will still have a wage budget that will dwarf every team in that league.

Complete guesswork.

Could as easily have just been bought by a consortium who’s major investor owns Eastleigh.

Clubs in League One can only spend a maximum of 60% of their overall annual turnover on wages. Sunderland's turnover is 5 or 6 times most clubs down there, and 10 times in terms of some of the smaller teams, and they have the added bonus of being able to spend 75% of their income on wages as a relegated club from the Championship.

Realistically based on the current contract situations it's only Cattermole and Rodwell who will be sitting around eating into the wage bill, leaving them a huge amount relatively to spend on building a team. League One clubs don't spend on transfer fees, which means they can outbid all the other sides down there for players in terms of wages. Unless Birmingham go down as well, they have no realistic rivals of a similar size.

The only hope there was for them struggling down there was if they got stuck being unable to sell the club and were saddled with the debt. That's gone now and they have a whole summer to prepare. They will absolutely piss it.

So you think they will do well by throwing large wages at players who only want to go to Sunderland for the money? Isn't that what's gotten them into this hole in the first place? :lol:

I'm being slightly tongue-in-cheek mind, obviously having some financial clout is a benefit. I'm just cautioning that it's hardly a guaranteed route to success.

Surprising that Short has paid off the debt. But then again, turning Sunderland around from the car-crash that it's been for the last 5=6 years is going to take some doing. It's about changing the whole mentality of the club and that will take a good owner and a good manager who can get the fans back buying into the vision.

That said, at least they've got shot of their moron for an owner. We are still stuck with ours and could be for many years yet. :(

Complete guesswork.

So you think they will do well by throwing large wages at players who only want to go to Sunderland for the money? Isn't that what's gotten them into this hole in the first place? :lol:

I'm being slightly tongue-in-cheek mind, obviously having some financial clout is a benefit. I'm just cautioning that it's hardly a guaranteed route to success.

No. They don't need to throw around huge money at all. The average League One player is on 2k a week ffs.

To be honest this is better than they could have ever hoped for but to run them as a ‘sustainable business’ will mean a good few years of consolidation.  This is not a sheikh mansoor type buy out, it sounds more like a conglomerate of semi wealthy speculators.

They will probably come up next year but I imagine they will be in the championship for a few years

Even if the debt has been "cleared" by the outgoing owner I'm sure that any cautious fan would want to see the small print before getting too carried away about the future.

A more realistic assessment of where they are may be that the club is not just worthless, but a huge amount has had to be paid to the owner of a mid table conference club for him to take it off his hands.

Most of their underlying problems will remain, bloated overpaid squad, stadium and structure too big for their needs or means against the backdrop of going from Premier league income to League one income in two seasons.

They may be jumping out of the frying pan straight into the fire.

No way has short just written off 100m plus no fucker would

I'd think repayments if they ever get back in the prem.

Agreed.  I’d guess the following are due to short:

Parachute payments

Outgoing transfers for current players (if any lol)

Payments on performance over next few years

It’s still good news mind.

I think we need to see who the other backers are before making judgement, this bloke only has a net worth of about £8.5m or something, definitely more Moat than Mansoor.

For all Short's faults, he had the financial clout to cover their losses, that has now disappeared. Also heard a rumour that all their assets (aol, sol, Charlie Hurley centre) are now owned by someone else and they're effectively tenants.....that could just be wishful thinking mind.

No way has short just written off 100m plus no fucker would

I'd think repayments if they ever get back in the prem.

Agreed.  I’d guess the following are due to short:

Parachute payments

Outgoing transfers for current players (if any lol)

Payments on performance over next few years

It’s still good news mind.

Fuck good news for them lol.

What did make me laugh is where this news was on the bbc sport site.  Right down near the bottom.  That shows how the neutral rates how big a story this is.  3rd tier club taken over and manager sacked.  Who gives a fuck.