Group C - France, Australia, Peru, Denmark - FRA & DEN advance

Wullie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest firetotheworks

fifa rules

Direct free kick

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any

of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be

careless, reckless or using excessive force:

• kicks or attempts to kick an opponent

trips or attempts to trip an opponent

• jumps at an opponent

• charges an opponent

• strikes or attempts to strike an opponent

• pushes an opponent

• tackles an opponent

A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any

of the following three offences:

• holds an opponent

• spits at an opponent

• handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own

penalty area)

A direct free kick is taken from the place where the offence occurred

(see Law 13 – Position of free kick).

Penalty kick

A penalty kick is awarded if any of the above ten offences is committed by

a player inside his own penalty area, irrespective of the position of the ball,

provided it is in play.

That would be fair enough if he'd tripped him. If that's tripping Greizmann then he should be constantly tripping over his own existence.

This is the problem mentioned earlier, it's just a given now that any contact is enough to impede a player and that going down when you don't need to is fine because 'there was contact'. It's the vindication everywhere, from refs, to players, to pundits, to fans. It's crept in to the point where cheating is not just acceptable across the board, but encouraged.

fifa rules

Direct free kick

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any

of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be

careless, reckless or using excessive force:

• kicks or attempts to kick an opponent

trips or attempts to trip an opponent

• jumps at an opponent

• charges an opponent

• strikes or attempts to strike an opponent

• pushes an opponent

• tackles an opponent

A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any

of the following three offences:

• holds an opponent

• spits at an opponent

• handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own

penalty area)

A direct free kick is taken from the place where the offence occurred

(see Law 13 – Position of free kick).

Penalty kick

A penalty kick is awarded if any of the above ten offences is committed by

a player inside his own penalty area, irrespective of the position of the ball,

provided it is in play.

That would be fair enough if he'd tripped him. If that's tripping Greizmann then he should be constantly tripping over his own existence.

This is the problem mentioned earlier, it's just a given now that any contact is enough to impede a player and that going down when you don't need to is fine because 'there was contact'. It's the vindication everywhere, from refs, to players, to pundits, to fans. It's crept in to the point where cheating is not just acceptable across the board, but encouraged.

He got his achillies. You see on one replay the force was enough to lift the defenders leg up. Definitely enough imo, but obviously the argument about what actually is enough is and probably always will be a never ending one

Correct decision.

The only problem was the fact play carried on for like 30 seconds then he brought it all the way back.  Can't stop the play evey time a player goes down in the box either though

The replay shows the ball deviates slightly which means he touched the ball. They f***ed up.

Touching a ball slightly doesnt mean that it isnt a foul..

It means he won the ball so unless it was reckless (or he does something else like pull the player down with his arm) then aye it literally does.

No it doesnt. The follow through clips Griezmann's legs when he is clean through. 100% penalty.

The follow up had about as much purchase as a hair. I'm sick of this whole contact=foul nonsense. The game's dead when fans of the game are perpetuating this bollocks.

This man.

Why aren't all challenges that have follow through not given as fouls then if that's the rule? 

Because usually the dont take away a goalscoring chance like in this case? Funny that there are still people who think "winning the ball=always a fair tackle"

Nobody believes this. If a tackle is reckless for example then winning the ball is irrelevant. Please explain how winning the ball in this case didn't negate the contact that came afterwards?

Like what was it about the tackle that was wrong?

Because the slightest of touches doesnt even take the ball away from Griezmann. After the first contact to the ball, it's still a goal scoring situation.

There are 5 video referees that have watched it in slow motion and the referee watched it again. I seem to think they have more understanding to the laws of game than you.

I think Griezmann was still getting to the ball, hard to say though.

If he had tackled the ball away from Griezmann and then clipped him, fine. For me it looked like he was still clean through.

I've never seen this kind of argument for justification of a penalty before like. In the Premiership atleast.

Every time the ball is touched it's always been classed as a fair tackle and whatever comes afterwards has been irrelevant unless there's a kickout or a short/shirt grab or whatever.

I'm assuming this is because the game is usually refereed in real time, and not in slow motion by 5 referees who know better than me.

EDIT: We're talking as if this is like different phases of play or something because it's getting dissected in slo-mo. It was all one fluid motion in real time, he won the ball and then took the player.

Seen what kind of argument? Its a penalty because he takes away a goal scoring chance by tripping the opponent. He doesn't tackle the ball away from Griezmann, then it would be fair tackle.

"Every time the ball is touched it's always been classed as a fair tackle"

You just said no one thinks this. It's not just for dangerous tackles and such, "winning the ball" is not when 0,01 inches of your stud touches the ball and the player still has a good goal scoring chance. This seems to be some English argument.

Probably the last I'll say on this as we're not going to agree so I'll just clarify what I mean. When I say "every time the ball is touched it's always been classed as a fair tackle" I'm talking about when the tackle is otherwise fair - as in the amount the ball moves has always been irrelevant as long as it was clear that it did move (otherwise whether there was contact is contentious in itself). I've just never seen this argued before, that the player still would have had control were they not taken down means it's a foul.

I'm not saying that touching the ball automatically makes the tackle fair, I was just using reckless tackles as an example but there are obviously more - one of which is that the contact with the player comes in another 'phase of play' (not sure if that's the correct terminology or not) which seems to be what Triggs is arguing (but I personally don't think applies here).

Good to see VAR has been used to correct a clear and obvious error, came to the correct decision everyone agrees with and took away all controversy, anyway. Well worth it.

Guest Howaythetoon

Good to see VAR has been used to correct a clear and obvious error, came to the correct decision everyone agrees with and took away all controversy, anyway. Well worth it.

I’d prefer it if we didn’t have VAR because one of the best things about sport is human error, own goals, open goal miss, missed pen, ref error, I can handle all of that as part of what is a sporting event. So long as there is no blatant cheating I’m fine with errors even if they are major by refs etc. But if Var can be used correctly and quickly I suppose we may as well give it a chance, I just think it makes the game even more formulaic and scientific. Some of the best matches in the history of the game have had a huge human drama to it. Gazza Italia 90, our 4-3 with Liverpool. They think it’s all over 66 Final, Hand of God etc. What next, managers control players with joysticks from the dugout ala FIFA? :lol:

I’d prefer it if we didn’t have VAR because one of the best things about sport is human error, own goals, open goal miss, missed pen, ref error, I can handle all of that as part of what is a sporting event. So long as there is no blatant cheating I’m fine with errors even if they are major by refs etc. But if Var can be used correctly and quickly I suppose we may as well give it a chance, I just think it makes the game even more formulaic and scientific. Some of the best matches in the history of the game have had a huge human drama to it. Gazza Italia 90, our 4-3 with Liverpool. They think it’s all over 66 Final, Hand of God etc. What next, managers control players with joysticks from the dugout ala FIFA? :lol:

totally agree with this tbf

but VAR is here to stay, might as well get used to it and think of how to improve it instead of just whining