Group D - Argentina, Iceland, Croatia, Nigeria - CRO & ARG advance

Wullie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest neesy111

Seems mental to think that Argentina don't/haven't set their entire team and system up around him though?

They do.  :lol:

Is it legal to suggest that Messi doesn't appear to be as effective against international class defensive units?

I think it's the players around him aren't as good.

It's the total lack of any idea of a system. Pardew-esque, just throw them out and hope something happens because Messi is good.

Chronically bad management.

Definitely the management, said it within watching the first 10 mins of this game. It looks as clueless as the time when they put Maradona in charge.

Wrong selections and tactics everywhere that matters. He can't do much with the options he has at the back but they've got about the best selection of attackers in the world and look like they've no idea what a goal is.

He needed to get a system that freed Messi in the same way he gets freedom and space at Barca. Instead they're running through the centre and it's very easy to defend against.

Should have played with proper width and stretched teams, probably playing Messi wide with Dybala more central or something like that.

Awful.

There's more wrong with Argentina than right. Even if a dullard decided to set them up with two banks of 4 with Messi in a free role they would be much better off.

Is it legal to suggest that Messi doesn't appear to be as effective against international class defensive units?

I think it's the players around him aren't as good.

I might be off here, but I think it's the opposite. Portugal know Ronaldo is their main man and they play like it. Argentina are caught in two minds whether to play as a team with Di Maria, Aguero, Dybala etc, or just utilise Messi.

Messi shouldn't have to carry Argentina, but they act like he should without admitting it and end up doing fuck all.