Group D - Argentina, Iceland, Croatia, Nigeria - CRO & ARG advance

Wullie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just back to my flat from St. Petersburg Stadium. The result tonight has devastated me. Nothing will ever change. Every World Cup it is against Argentina in the group and we lose a close match by one goal because we do not have the professionalism to compete for 90 minutes. We have underachieved at every WC with the exception of 2014, imo. Bitterly disappointing. Both Kelechi and Ighalo were total rubbish. Iheanacho looked unfit and I cannot believe Ighalo had the temerity to run to the ref after completely wasting the best chance of the match.

I do not understand the passivity with which the team approached the matches against Croatia and Argentina, other than that it comes from the manager. The German has been good overall at improving the lax organisation, building a close unit led by Obi, and aggressively pursuing worthwhile dual-nationality players, but I am sick of his constant negativity about how the team is young and the other sides are ranked higher. It shows in how they play and does not reflect the Nigerian mentality at all. Against Argies, Croatia, and even England in the friendly, we sat deep and played tentatively, inviting the other team to attack, until they inevitably scored, because sitting back is not our specialty. We only played football when the situation called for goals. Argentina were a poor defensive side that left gaps at the back all match, and we did not exploit this whatsoever; it was there for the taking. We let Croatia walk through in second gear all match as well. Vexing that he decided to save his substitutions to waste time as well. It was obvious fresh legs upfront/defensive cover was need for the last ten minutes.

Fwiw, I thought the handball tonight was no different than the one yesterday. They are ball to hand and are not penalties, imo, but if they are given in other matches, we are right to protest. FIFA should clarify. The better shout was Rojo kicking Iheanacho in the face in the box first half. He pulls him down in addition to the dangerous play. A foul anywhere else on the pitch 100% of the time.

Guest Howaythetoon

I could be wrong, but Nigeria may have done better with I don’t know, a Nigerian coach or a more Nigerian/less European influence outside of the actual players themselves who are predominantly European based, taught and influenced by. Again it just seems like watching any other European nation and Argentina are the same mind. It’s a shame and I’m genuinley gutted for them and the good friends I have who are from there or have ancestors and therefore support them. Hopefully Senegal will go far.

Guest Howaythetoon

Maradona man, you have to wonder about the company he keeps/latches onto him. As funny as it is it’s also tragic :(

I could be wrong, but Nigeria may have done better with I don’t know, a Nigerian coach or a more Nigerian/less European influence outside of the actual players themselves who are predominantly European based, taught and influenced by. Again it just seems like watching any other European nation and Argentina are the same mind. It’s a shame and I’m genuinley gutted for them and the good friends I have who are from there or have ancestors and therefore support them. Hopefully Senegal will go far.

I mean fair enough I agree, but the vast majority of Nigerian coaches are completely incompetent and the entire structure corrupt, so it is not that easy :lol: Keshi has passed unfortunately so really the only big candidates left are Samson Siasia, who produces good attacking football, but has been rightfully sacked previously and Sunday Oliseh who seems to be quite talented, but certifiably insane. I would love a better version of Rohr, tbh.

Maradona man, you have to wonder about the company he keeps/latches onto him. As funny as it is it’s also tragic :(

I am actually quite surprised the guy is alive, tbh. Getting to 57 is actually a fair accomplishment with the life he has led since the end of his playing days (and probably before).

Don't know how you can say Argentina are just like any other European nation in the way they play mind. It's complete chaos on the pitch when they're playing. Defenders/midfielders just following the ball diving in everywhere. A centre half scoring a volley with his bad foot inside the box not from a set piece

Guest neesy111

Exciting finish to game, that Messi goal was class. France/Argentina on Saturday - intriguing to see how that goes.

France look solid at back but not scoring many.

France have to be favs, but hope Argentina win as I detest Deschamps as a manager.

Keshi has passed unfortunately so really the only big candidates left are Samson Siasia, who produces good attacking football, but has been rightfully sacked previously and Sunday Oliseh who seems to be quite talented, but certifiably insane.

[emoji38]

Guest Howaythetoon

Don't know how you can say Argentina are just like any other European nation in the way they play mind. It's complete chaos on the pitch when they're playing. Defenders/midfielders just following the ball diving in everywhere. A centre half scoring a volley with his bad foot inside the box not from a set piece

That’s not unique to them though is it? I was mainly referring to style of play/identity of play by the way which Valdano eloquently talked about in the article posted in this thread.

Even Brazil have lost their Brazilness if you like and although this has been a very enjoyable tournament, I’m finding most teams are pretty samey samey outside of one or two individuals.

There isn’t one team that stands out in terms of a distinctive style like tournaments of past, especially for the likes of Nigeria who once played with flair, energy and a sense of naivety that captured a sense of freedom in their play perfectly.

Again it’s been an enjoyable tournament, but I feel it’s VAR and the personal trials and tribulations of the likes of Messi and Ronaldo and teams like Germany, Spain and Argentina that are holding it together regarding the drama and excitement and not the actual football.

England aside of course ;)

Guest Howaythetoon

Talented player who needs to be starting every week for his club, but no excuse not performing for your country in a WC qualifying deciding match.

Guest firetotheworks

I don't like seeing that, mind. Sampaoli can't be fine with being emasculated like this, surely?

I don't like seeing that, mind. Sampaoli can't be fine with being emasculated like this, surely?

At the same time I don't blame the players tbh, it kind of needed to happen as it's really the only way they have any chance of progressing.