The Gareth Southgate Appreciation Thread (Warning may contain lots of words)

Guest Howaythetoon

Think they're on a par with Colombia tbf. Defo better than Sweden.

I think we should beat them though, I find I'm apprehensive and 'worried' purely because of the stage of the tournament we're at and I can't believe that we're 1 game against beatable opposition away from the World Cup fucking final, as opposed to anything else.

Croatia are shit, man. Both Colombia and Sweden had me semi-worried for you guys. Croatia on the other hand is there to be routed.

How did Sweden with their zero good players have you worried and not Croatia? [emoji38]

50:50 game for me

On a sidenote I think VAR has helped England as defenders know they can't just maul Maguire and Stones to the ground at set pieces and get away with it

The main worry I have with Croatia is they'll raise their game for us.  I mean, it's the semis, so they should be raising it anyway, but I think it being England could inspire them a touch.  It's not so much the scalp of England, but the Premier League connections.  Complete conjecture on my part, but I would be surprised to see them repeat past performances. 

Other than that we shouldn't fear them at all.  But I feel we will fear them and play cautious before finding our groove.. :lol:

The main worry I have with Croatia is they'll raise their game for us.  I mean, it's the semis, so they should be raising it anyway, but I think it being England could inspire them a touch.  It's not so much the scalp of England, but the Premier League connections.  Complete conjecture on my part, but I would be surprised to see them repeat past performances. 

Other than that we shouldn't fear them at all.  But I feel we will fear them and play cautious before finding our groove.. :lol:

Lovren plays in the PL, Modric and Corluka used to play. Anyone else? I don't have facts and can't be arsed to check but seems like they have a very low number of PL players for a decent European side.

Croatia are shit, man. Both Colombia and Sweden had me semi-worried for you guys. Croatia on the other hand is there to be routed.

How did Sweden with their zero good players have you worried and not Croatia? [emoji38]

On a sidenote I think VAR has helped England as defenders know they can't just maul Maguire and Stones to the ground at set pieces and get away with it

With the exception of the Argie game, they’ve steadily looked shit. If it wasn’t for Subasic, Iceland would’ve raped them as well. Couldn’t beat a shit Denmark. Struggled with Russia. Struggled somewhat with Nogeria. Sibasic saved them against Iceland. Subasic and Modric are amazing, however, and could be the difference through individual ability.

Sweden had shown throughout the WC they could play as a unit, defend well and utilize set penises very well. They had no star power, but that’s not really how International football work.

With the exception of the Argie game, they’ve steadily looked shit. If it wasn’t for Subasic, Iceland would’ve raped them as well. Couldn’t beat a shit Denmark. Struggled with Russia. Struggled somewhat with Nogeria. Sibasic saved them against Iceland. Subasic and Modric are amazing, however, and could be the difference through individual ability.

Sweden had shown throughout the WC they could play as a unit, defend well and utilize set penises very well. They had no star power, but that’s not really how International football work.

They played their second team against Iceland and still won. Denmark are better than Sweden IMO and Russia knocked out Spain

I agree that Croatia have looked fairly average outside of the Argentina match. I didn't see the Iceland match but against Nigeria, they didn't really create much of anything from open play at all. They were gifted two very preventable goals from set pieces (especially the second, an entirely unnecessary penalty given away) and were able to sit back in second gear after this. The performances in the knockouts have been very disappointing. The draw has been good for them and they should dispatched of both sides they played in 90 minutes, never mind 120. They have gone through because of five or so horrendous penalties from the opposition and have not looked confident at the back by any means.

England's performances have been more impressive overall, but it is still hard to trust them. Imo, they have played one match against a full-strength side of an equivalent level, and this was a real struggle at times. Again, it took penalties and they looked ready to wilt for a period in the extra time. Knockout football can be random at times, both of these sides have had spells of looking impressive, but have benefited greatly from the draw (including the group for England) and sheer footballing luck.

I think the difference will be England's dominance at set-pieces. They have goal(s)from set pieces in all four legitimate matches they've played thus far, which is an amazing record and a serious credit to Southgate. Croatia also looked genuinely exhausted towards the end of the Russia match, and there is a short rest period for this match, probably with little or no rotation. It is hard to see them being a consistent attacking threat. Mandzukic looked broken down at the end and Vrsaljko (one of their better attacking threats from fullback) may not be able to play. There is a lack of depth at the back, and the idea of Corluka against Sterling, Kane, and Alli for 90+ minutes is very good for England.

England 2 Croatia 0.

Ffs lads, don't let facts get in the way of the narrative!

Is that a dig at me, for what for fucksake?  Can cunts not talk on in this place without others being absolute petty bastards? :lol:

I never meant how many players in the PL, I just mean we're the home of the fucking PL.  Take out England, make a name for yourself, whatever.  Jesus fucking Christ. :lol:

I sincerely apologise for saying Croatia will possibly raise their game.  Of course they won't raise their game.  They've never had any players ply their trade in the PL, what on earth was I talking about.  Mea Culpa.  Can't wait for this WC to be over, you can all go back to pretending not to support England anymore.  :aww:

There was nae need for that, but that was cathartic. 

Is that a dig at me, for what for fucksake?  Can cunts not talk on in this place without others being absolute petty bastards? [emoji38]

I never meant how many players in the PL, I just mean we're the home of the fucking PL.  Take out England, make a name for yourself, whatever.  Jesus fucking Christ. [emoji38]

I sincerely apologise for saying Croatia will possibly raise their game.  Of course they won't raise their game.  They've never had any players ply their trade in the PL, what on earth was I talking about.  Mea Culpa.  Can't wait for this WC to be over, you can all go back to pretending not to support England anymore.  :aww:

Tbf the majority of them play for top European clubs, don't think that'll come into it

Subasic was on the bench against Iceland, Kalinic played in goal.

Speaking of letting facts get in the way of narrative: England have beaten Panama, Tunisia, Colombia and Sweden, with one of those ranking in the FIFA top 20. Croatia have beaten Iceland, Nigeria, Argentina, Switzerland, Denmark and Russia with three of those ranking in the FIFA top 20.

Conclusion: Croatia are shit, England are brilliant and Southgate is a genius.

Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for England and I'm loving the feel good factor this run has provided, but there's been some incredible mental gymnastics going on of late. We're average as fuck, but I'm just hoping momentum and continuing fortune carry us over the line, we'll certainly need it if we do reach the final.

Speaking of letting facts get in the way of narrative: England have beaten Panama, Tunisia, Colombia and Sweden, with one of those ranking in the FIFA top 20. Croatia have beaten Iceland, Nigeria, Argentina, Switzerland, Denmark and Russia with three of those ranking in the FIFA top 20.

Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for England and I'm loving the feel good factor this run has provided, but there's been some incredible mental gymnastics going on of late. We're average as fuck, but I'm just hoping momentum and continuing fortune carry us over the line, we'll certainly need it if we do reach the final.

Did you just add Switzerland to give them an extra point? :razz:

Did you just add Switzerland to give them an extra point? :razz:

:lol:

Apparently I'm hallucinating, I'm going to bed man!

I very much doubt anyone sensible thinks that tbh. I think the fact they're an aging squad with two lots of extra time in their legs could be the thing that gives us the edge.

Is that a dig at me, for what for fucksake?  Can cunts not talk on in this place without others being absolute petty bastards? :lol:

I never meant how many players in the PL, I just mean we're the home of the fucking PL.  Take out England, make a name for yourself, whatever.  Jesus fucking Christ. :lol:

There was nae need for that, but that was cathartic. 

That's a bit arrogant way to think, like a remnant of the imperial times.

Their star players play for Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus while your star plays for Tottenham. Most of their squad play in the biggest leagues in Europe while you have squad players from the PL top six because they need homegrown players. I have a hard time imagining Modric, Rakitic, Mandzukic or even Perisic thinking that's it, I've now made it as a footballer after skipping past Ashley Young and Harry Maguire and then putting the ball past Jordan Pickford.

Their national team has also been at least as successful during their brief existence as the great Three Lions from the home of the football despite having similar population to the greater Birmingham area.

I don't expect the word "luck" creates such a debate to be honest, and I don't think it's bad to have luck anyway. If you aren't good enough you won't be able to utilise your luck.

What Gareth got it fucking spot on is how England defend as a team. England never gives away easy chances to opponents in this tournament. And he did this by playing shit defenders. That's pretty amazing, isn't it? They aren't comparable to the likes of Rio Terry Campbell Seaman Neville etc. England is, however, playing the most solid defense in recent decades under Gareth. You really have to praise him, and also the midfielders who gave them all in chasing down every plays, blocking, covering, shielding... this never happened in the old days. The likes of Gerrard Lampard Beckham Owen would not play like this.

Solid defense is a must for any team to win in a tournament.  England could easily crash out by Columbia and Sweden due to sloppy goals conceded. And then that's it. Last 16 again.

Gareth deserves the praise.