The Gareth Southgate Appreciation Thread (Warning may contain lots of words)

Guest Howaythetoon

Guest firetotheworks

Someone wrote into F365 to predict the England starting line-up in Euro 2020. They put:

Pickford

Walker  Stones Maguire

Trippier/TAA RLC Winks Dier/Henderson  Rose/Sessegnon

Sterling/Alli Kane

Foden will be there imo. Really looking forward to seeing more of RLC as well.

Central midfield is awful. Either those players would need to be much, much improved by then, or they need Shelvey. I'd go for the latter.

:lol: Shelvey, there's a reason he's played for mid table and relegation teams his entire career since leaving Liverpool. Sure he's a nice passer but there's so much more to the game than that.

If Shelvey is what we need then we have problems, i feel bad saying this as a Newcastle fan since i was 4 years old but just being honest he's not good enough.

Central midfield is awful. Either those players would need to be much, much improved by then, or they need Shelvey. I'd go for the latter.

:lol: Shelvey, there's a reason he's played for mid table and relegation teams his entire career since leaving Liverpool. Sure he's a nice passer but there's so much more to the game than that.

If Shelvey is what we need then we have problems, i feel bad saying this as a Newcastle fan since i was 4 years old but just being honest he's not good enough.

Aye, that's why you have partnerships. Shelvey is the best passer of the ball in the country by a distance. Passing is a huge part of the duty of a midfielder. If he keeps up last seasons form from now till the euros it would be insane not to take him.

Also Shelvey "not good enough"  :lol:

Someone wrote into F365 to predict the England starting line-up in Euro 2020. They put:

Pickford

Walker  Stones Maguire

Trippier/TAA RLC Winks Dier/Henderson  Rose/Sessegnon

Sterling/Alli Kane

Foden will be there imo. Really looking forward to seeing more of RLC as well.

He'll have to leave Man City for that to happen

Guest The Little Waster

Gareth seems a decent bloke ... very humble ...and looking at the team , he has a lot to be humble about

I've always been underwhelmed by Gareth Southgate.  As a player I used to wonder how he'd managed to get in the England team and as a manager I didn't rate him and wondered how he'd got the England job. I started to warm to him when he fucked Rooney off and I've bought into what he's doing since.  He is still a young pup at managerial level and cannot lie was a bit pissed off with how he set us up second half on Wednesday and with the subs he made and when.  I also would never have selected Ashley Young. But even with all of that, I still think he will improve for the experience and we will have a team to get behind properly all the more.

I remember after the 90 semi going through who would be in for 94 and confidently predicting a good future for England, but I had failed to reckon in Graham fucking Taylor 😂

Don't think he can win the main award, there's a separate one for 'coach of the year'.

Quite frankly he doesn't deserve that either.

How about an upcoming future SPOTY, he could win that one, maybe. (And I've been impressed with him.)

Should win SPOTY by an absolute mile like imo. I cannot remember many people bringing the country together through sport in the way he did - reminded me a lot of London 2012.

Was what I was thinking tbh, would be the most deserving person to win it in a very long time imo.

Not sure why there's this talk of England 'overachieving'. Considering the oppositions they met, I would have expected them to make it that far.

Obviously, as soon as they met a good side, their frailties were too big to 'get away with'. (Those frailties were very similar to what they showed against the inferior opposition in the previous matches, but heads were buried in the sand about that.)

Anyway, Southgate has done well. :thup: It will be interesting to see how far their 'progression' in this tournament has taken them when the Nations League starts.

Completely misses the point that England have been consistently losing to or making extremely hard work of shite teams in tournaments since 2006. Not doing so is significant progress, as is winning a shootout, as is winning a knockout game comfortably, something we've not done since 2002 against Denmark.

Completely misses the point that England have been consistently losing to or making extremely hard work of shite teams in tournaments since 2006. Not doing so is significant progress, as is winning a shootout, as is winning a knockout game comfortably, something we've not done since 2002 against Denmark.

Mainly thanks to club conflict between players. (and whatever else)

I'm not sure how the past necessarily stood in the way of today's players, to be frank. Maybe you'd like to explain?

Aye, at least this time we can see we we're knocked out because the team we played were a better team than us. In past years it's been more a question of effort and politics, not competency/ability as it should be. That's progression :thup:

I'm not sure how the past necessarily stood in the way of today's players, to be frank. Maybe you'd like to explain?

You don't see how the pressure of not winning a knockout game or a penalty shootout in ages can affect today's players?

You don't see how the pressure of not winning a knockout game or a penalty shootout in ages can affect today's players?

I wouldn't say it's a variable that's its effect is that great as it had nothing to do with them, and the expectations were low anyway.