Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

12 minutes ago, Conjo said:

I do wonder what's happend to him physically (and maybe mentally?) though. Looking at older footage of him, he is noticeably slower and way less agile than he used to be. You never see him pull off some of those "easy" but effective dribbles to get away from his man anymore. He seems incapable of turning with the ball unless he's got like 3-4 seconds in order to pass forwards. It's like watching a completely different footballer

He was relatively unknown then and teams either had totally underestimated him or hadn’t done any scouting on how to play against him.

He’s not a terrible player by any means.. he’s had some cracking games for us but he’s not brave enough on the ball at times and his speed of thought I believe is affected by confidence issues. He sometimes waits too long to play that pass.

I believe he’s just well scouted now and teams know how to stifle him.

Not a massive fan of his. I think he takes an age on the ball to make a decision and his passing is often woeful or at times, he just plays safe for no reason. 

However. I thought he was a bit better with the ball on Sunday. The ping out to Barnes was something I’d love to see more of from him. 

Can’t really question his off the ball work. He always puts a shift in and it’s probably why Howe loves him so much.

Some stats below to back up the eye test from this game. I know we didn’t have a lot of the ball. But the only NUFC player on there and he only played about an hour. So even more impressive. 

On 01/09/2024 at 23:03, Conjo said:

I do wonder what's happend to him physically (and maybe mentally?) though. Looking at older footage of him, he is noticeably slower and way less agile than he used to be. You never see him pull off some of those "easy" but effective dribbles to get away from his man anymore. He seems incapable of turning with the ball unless he's got like 3-4 seconds in order to pass forwards. It's like watching a completely different footballer

he's looked vastly improved physically this season compared to last imo. He's getting to challenges much quicker. The rest will follow hopefully. 

It's clear to me he was playing with a pretty bad injury last season. 

His contract is up at the end of the season. Tricky one as he's a useful squad player, but as a homegrown, any sale would be all profit which is gold for PSR purposes. He's 27 so you'd have thought he'd be getting more clubs sniffing around, but there haven't been a whole load of rumours.

18 hours ago, TRon said:

His contract is up at the end of the season. Tricky one as he's a useful squad player, but as a homegrown, any sale would be all profit which is gold for PSR purposes. He's 27 so you'd have thought he'd be getting more clubs sniffing around, but there haven't been a whole load of rumours.

I think he'll end up leaving on a free and potentially going to one of the newly promoted sides

3 hours ago, r0cafella said:

I think he gets a new contract 3+1. 

Makes sense, even to retain his value if nothing else. Doesn't make any sense to let him walk on a free.

Edited by The Prophet

8 minutes ago, jack j said:

Think I'll log off NUFC twitter forever if this happens

Why it would be the right move? If the mongs on twitter can’t grasp that your better off sticking to good old NO :lol: 

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Makes sense, to retain his value in nothing else. Doesn't make any sense to let him walk on a free.

I don't think it would need to be much of an offer either, he'll probably stay for relatively low wages. I don't think he wants to move, and it's not like there will be a queue of attractive clubs chucking big money at him.

Edited by TRon

I'd give him another contract. He's very useful, and will be happy being a squad member. Probably lowish wages, which probably match his contribution on the field tbh. So it's not like he's stealing a living like many people would argue. 

While a sale would be good for PSR we are short on homegrowns if we manage to get into Europe. We are still a good 2 to 3 years away from bringing any or the highly rated youth signings through and here long enough to be eligible. 

Can also see him not wanting to sit on the bench all the time though and that is his future, most likely.

he's not a bad player. his dithering on the ball and going down like a sack of shite frequently are confidence issues, which is a bit bewildering given Eddie's man management skills. He has super awareness ghosting into dangerous areas

47 minutes ago, Weezertron said:

I'd give him another contract. He's very useful, and will be happy being a squad member. Probably lowish wages, which probably match his contribution on the field tbh. So it's not like he's stealing a living like many people would argue. 

On 50k p/w apparently

He's the new Paul Dummett he will be here until we decide we have no use to retain him when he's about 31/32

Edited by JigsawGoesToPieces

• 2 weeks later...