Fabian Schär

14 hours ago, Tiresias said:

So I, a glutton for punishment, put on the guardian's football weekly podcast on this for my drive home for work with Phillippe Auclaire. Now i have a lot more sympathy for their pov on our 'glorious' ownership than a lot on here (but am not going to have the joy of watching us taken away just yet even if I have issues), but anyway on comes Auclaire and i'm bracing for lots of vitriol at the fans for being at fault for diminishing the apparently otherwise saintly world of football, and then what actually infuriates me, when talking about surprising performances from players of ours who are playing above themselves he mentions he was shocked to see Schar play well implying he has largely seen Schar as a comical bad defender.

How many fucking years does this guy have to be an absolute rock before any single fucking pundit recognizes him? If we were a Manchester club or Liverpool he would be being fucking touted for the ballon d'or by now

He actually had a pretty great rep while he was playing under Benitez who signed him. We had a rock solid defence back then although it was a back five not a back four.

His reputation only suffered when Bruce became manager and he wanted big hard defenders across all areas of the pitch with a winger and a striker to make up the numbers. I still remember the look of absolute disgust Schar threw at him when he was shouting some utter shite from the dugout.

47 minutes ago, HawK said:

Had a couple of nights to sleep on this.

Schar is coming into the argument as our best ever PL central defender, surpassing Woodgate.

I think if we didn't have Trippier and a more traditional full-back, he would look even better than he does, because he would be on the ball so much more than he is currently. Otherwise, whenever he gets the opportunity, whenever he is called upon, very rarely does he look anything other than complete class.

I'm Woodgate's biggest fan, but I don't see Woodgate looking better than Schar does in this team.

Woodgate had to contend with playing alongside Titus, and it would be cruel to draw a comparison with Lascelles, but I mean in the way that Woodgate lead Titus, Schar lead Lascelles. A Lascelles that barely ever plays any more, against a front line including Mbappe and Goncalo Ramos. That's no joke.

And he is a right-boot that reminds me of Laurent Robert's left, when given the chance.

I can only hope that as a defender that never has to rely on pace (Woodgate anyone?), he can keep going for years yet.

Totally agree.

1 hour ago, SteV said:

Interestingly (or possibly not…) I was reading something a while ago that said if you wanted to equate transfer fees from the 90’s to modern day prices you should multiply by 8.

Obviously that’s an incredibly arbitrary calculation, and no idea how they came up with it, but if we go with it, and we use it for Lee, I think it works out at (£700k*8) £5.6m.

Still sensational value clearly, but possibly makes it a bit easier to compare with someone like Schar.

If we're going on that calculation, it's still Rob Lee like if it's any help. He was the probably the best midfielder in the country at one point.

Taking nothing away from Schar, he's been incredible value.

Edited by Sima

1 hour ago, HawK said:

Had a couple of nights to sleep on this.

Schar is coming into the argument as our best ever PL central defender, surpassing Woodgate.

I think if we didn't have Trippier and a more traditional full-back, he would look even better than he does, because he would be on the ball so much more than he is currently. Otherwise, whenever he gets the opportunity, whenever he is called upon, very rarely does he look anything other than complete class.

I'm Woodgate's biggest fan, but I don't see Woodgate looking better than Schar does in this team.

Woodgate had to contend with playing alongside Titus, and it would be cruel to draw a comparison with Lascelles, but I mean in the way that Woodgate lead Titus, Schar lead Lascelles. A Lascelles that barely ever plays any more, against a front line including Mbappe and Goncalo Ramos. That's no joke.

And he is a right-boot that reminds me of Laurent Robert's left, when given the chance.

I can only hope that as a defender that never has to rely on pace (Woodgate anyone?), he can keep going for years yet.

Max Greenfield Yes GIF by CBS

There was one other moment that stood out for me. I think it was first half, he got the ball and was being pressed by two of their players. Instead of walloping it forward he does a really neat feint/turn and takes them both out of the game. As amazing as woodgate was I dont remember him having that in his locker. Fab is vital to our build up.

3 hours ago, huss9 said:

the tackle and ball recovery was better than the goal itself. just class.

wtf was doing to so far up the picth???

I think Eddie was testing him out for a much-needed transition to DM on Sunday. About time, too.

1 hour ago, Mattoon said:

I said it in the match thread, Schar only ever scores thunderbastards

not remember the maradona dribble from the half way line then sidefoot into the corner from just inside the box?

cant remember who it was against.

3 minutes ago, huss9 said:

not remember the maradona dribble from the half way line then sidefoot into the corner from just inside the box?

cant remember who it was against.

Cardiff 2019, he scored 2 that day, the one you mentioned and a scrappy one in the box.

• 2 weeks later...