Fabian Schär

Schar will be reassured by the fact that Howe has played him in so many games. Giving him a longer contract is no big deal either, as he's got plenty of years left in him.

Howe isn't the sort of manager who would make a player stay against their will, if they weren't getting enough game time. He could sign a contract extension and still be sold next summer if he wasn't happy.

If makes no sense for him leave now, when we are finally on the cusp of something.

The amount of turnover we're likely to see over the next few seasons is definitely gonna need us to sell players and get a bit back for them to help FFP. Absolutely fine tying him down for a few years now and probably selling for a few mil next year.

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion is ideal for this year 

needs to be sold in the summer 

lacks pace and error prone 

tries to play without breaking a sweat 

ideal player for a club happy to tread water in the premier league - not for a team trying to push into the top 8

ps - this is only my opinion 

I would also sell Lascelles

dan burn ideal for 3rd choice 

if we can’t sign two centre halfs (keep schar) one more season 

Aye let's sell all of our centre backs and sign 4 new ones, that's sensible practice.

We need a squad of players, Schar is more than capable of being in our first team. By all means sign players who can compete for his place but don't let him walk out the door, madness.

FWIW, Burn is the weaker of the pair anyway but he's flavour of the month so it will take people a while to see it.

1 hour ago, STM said:

Aye let's sell all of our centre backs and sign 4 new ones, that's sensible practice.

We need a squad of players, Schar is more than capable of being in our first team. By all means sign players who can compete for his place but don't let him walk out the door, madness.

FWIW, Burn is the weaker of the pair anyway but he's flavour of the month so it will take people a while to see it.

Dat ambition 

I never said sell all the centre backs 

I would try and sign two new centre backs 

Keep Burn / Keep Fernandez 

Sell schar / Sell Lascelles / Give Dummett to BLYTH Spartans 

All - my opinion

Schar is the best footballer out of the current crop of defenders but I still think he lacks speed / error prone and tries to play without breaking sweat (looking cool)

which to be fair (he does look cool) 

but I would look to push into the top 8 and make two central defenders a priority 

if we can only sign one (no harm in keeping him an extra year for the sex appeal)

42 minutes ago, LV said:

Binning Schär would be madness 

That would all depend on who we sign to replace ? 

that’s like saying getting rid of Wilson would be madness (but we sign Isak and Jonathan David)?

we have to trust those in charge to improve (if we sell half decent players)

I agree with signing competition and I agree he lacks pace but whole sale changes to the squad the club have made clear aren't going to happen, they are planning to evolve the squad. Considering how often even the most well run club sign a centre back who turns out to be rubbish there's no way we should let a player who is performing well leave. Contract extention should be a priority. A centre back to provide high standard competition should be signed

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Ideally 4th choice in 24 months. 

makes me think it’s best to let him go.  But not mad at a 1 or 2 year extension.   

Ideally we get a pair of CBs with Burn being cover for LB & LCB and Schar being cover for RCB.

We need to sign quite a few players, aye. But let’s not underestimate the risk of ruining team spirit and the bond within the squad now. Don’t want to

disrupt it too much by replacing an entire defence or midfield in just one go.

Dont get me wrong, we need to be slightly ruthless. But replacing every starting player in various areas isn’t the right way to go, plus we wont sign that many players. We’d be looking at maybe 8 players then, maybe 9 for the 1st team.

Get one top quality CB and CM and striker and a RW to begin with. Then maybe add a more attacking or defensive cm depending on the CM of choice above. 

After this we could add some depth maybe depending on who leaves and what’s available on the market. 

Schär will get playing time next season and rightly so. Even if not starting. Having said that, if someone gets sold then we might also get a promising cab jn to fill up. 

Only a couple of years ago Fulham spent a huge amount of money on coming up from championship replacing a large amount of the squad and they flopped hard. It's really not simple just buying new players every position and expecting it to work out. We have a good team spirit, it needs to be carefully managed not binned for sake of spending a lot of money. 

I suspect we will be looking at signing 3 or 4 first teamers max and the rest of the signings will be young prospect squad players. It will also depend on how many we can ship out and we may struggle to get rid of some 

19 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

Dat ambition 

I never said sell all the centre backs 

I would try and sign two new centre backs 

Keep Burn / Keep Fernandez 

Sell schar / Sell Lascelles / Give Dummett to BLYTH Spartans 

All - my opinion

Schar is the best footballer out of the current crop of defenders but I still think he lacks speed / error prone and tries to play without breaking sweat (looking cool)

which to be fair (he does look cool) 

but I would look to push into the top 8 and make two central defenders a priority 

if we can only sign one (no harm in keeping him an extra year for the sex appeal)

I love Fede, but there's a reason he's not really getting a look in. Schar is far better with the ball and that's clearly Howe's preference. He's also 33...

To be honest it’s just my opinion 

I understand it’s not easy to bring in better players that immediately improve the team 

I have a hunch that this summer will be better than expected in terms of quality signings…..as it’s a fresh slate 

it all depends on availability and price and how everything falls into place 

I can see us trying to improve in all positions and it will probably all depend on who we can get signed / agreements on first and how much they cost…which will potentially change other options as time goes on

either way it’s going to be very exciting / interesting.

We need to improve massively to compete with the top 6 but probably not as much to get into the top 10 (as our current form is probably good enough) but I can see a lot of teams trying to push on next season !