Fabian Schär

The passing back and forward between Schar and Burn was almost comical against West Ham. But they still persisted with it today, even when pressured.

Such a basic thing and probably not even noticeable to most fans of functioning teams. But it makes a massive difference having two centre backs happy on the ball and confident when knocking it about. 

1 minute ago, Lush Vlad said:

The passing back and forward between Schar and Burn was almost comical against West Ham. But they still persisted with it today, even when pressured.

Such a basic thing and probably not even noticeable to most fans of functioning teams. But it makes a massive difference having two centre backs happy on the ball and confident when knocking it about. 

One of my pet hates is CMs dropping in to CB to take posession and play simple balls forward. I think it's a properly stupid, and overly safe tactic to deploy which actually loses you territory on the pitch. It also corrodes the confidence of your defence.

So for me, it's a pleasure to see us being more confident on the ball, allowing CMs to take up their position in the cente of midfield where they belong, and put teams on the back foot.

Inter Milan are great at it, so much so I watch in disbelief at times. 

Shelvey still does that too often for my liking. Although in his defence. He quite often then plays it and moves forward into the space, at least. Still feels totally unnecessary at times. Now that we have competent footballers at centre back. 

:thup:

He's definitely worst for it rightly or wrongly.

I mean perhaps it's instructed and employed because it draws opposing CMs out of position, so with a mobile midfield that means, as you rightly say, people can pass and move into it, but previously I feel we've lacked any mobility and hence when we've done this and lost the ball we've lost 30yards of space too. 

25 minutes ago, Heron said:

One of my pet hates is CMs dropping in to CB to take posession and play simple balls forward. I think it's a properly stupid, and overly safe tactic to deploy which actually loses you territory on the pitch. It also corrodes the confidence of your defence.

So for me, it's a pleasure to see us being more confident on the ball, allowing CMs to take up their position in the cente of midfield where they belong, and put teams on the back foot.

Inter Milan are great at it, so much so I watch in disbelief at times. 

I've no problem when its done well, it can split the centre halves a little letting the full backs to push up a bit more. Also if the defending midfield follws in it creates a gap to be exploited or pullls that defence further up if your wanting to try and exploit space in behind them.

I just think we've had years of wanting our defenders to get it forward and away from our goal as quickly as possible due to them not being good enough. Happily though we haven't been sucked into playing it out short all the time like Everton did against us and got caught out time after time doing it.

Edited by madras

1 minute ago, madras said:

I've no problem when its done well, it can split the centre halves a little letting the full backs to push up a bit more. Also if the defending midfield follws in it creates a gap to be exploited or pullls that defence further up if your wanting to try and exploit space in behind them.

I just think we've had years of wanting our defenders to get it forward and away from our goal as quickly as possible due to them not being good enough. Happily though we haven't been sucked into playing it out short all the time like Ecerton did against us and got caught out time after time doing it.

Aye, you're probably right. Different styles of play and that I guess. Just so used to it not being done right for so long. :lol:

2 hours ago, madras said:

Got to say, even under Rafa I didn't think Schar had enough defensive nouse to play in a 4. Very happy he's proving me wrong.

was just about to post this.

dont think he's ever been as good defensively since he signed for us. had 2 others to help in out in back 3 under rafa.

Aye, I'll happily admit he's proving me wrong defensively. Long may it continue. 

His ability on the ball has never been in doubt mind. I thought Wood had done really well for our second goal for far too long. :lol:

We need a camera angle from the other side of the pitch to see that touch round the Brentford player on the way to setting up the 2nd goal, I need to see how deliberate/cute it was or did he miss control it but read the roll quicker.

Well, I think that Schaar's talents really didn't align with Bruce "tactics".  There was a chart floating around that really made Schaar look bad-- moneyball and all that. He wasn't going to look good in Bruce's "system".  Clark, he played football the Steve Bruce way(TM)

Edited by gazza ladra

14 minutes ago, 54 said:

Imagine freezing out our best CB :lol: I bet that was because he wasn't a suckup on the training pitch like Clark and Lascelles would be. Fucking Bruce :lol:

He sold our second best one for buttons.  Probably chocolate ones.

The fat cunt.

If Howe can do this with Schar, fuck knows what he would have got out of Lejuene.

Schar is a Rolls Royce centre half, he has no business playing in a defensive side. That's just not his game.

I've said before, he'd look fine for City, Liverpool, maybe a Leicester of recent years. Not great, but decent.