Fabian Schär

Yeah Murphy is still pretty pants but I loved his scrapping at the end of the Chelsea game. :lol: For someone who looks like he'd struggle against a mild breeze he's a right little radge. So there's points for that. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, HawK said:

How did he do today? Didn't get to see the matches. Saw he got top ratings on bbc sport. 

I watched this game, thought he was brilliant. Calm and composed and raked a beautiful 60 yard cross field ball towards the end which was beckham-esque

Glad to hear he did well, I see he didn't start the first two Swiss games. I think he's very underrated, even by our own support, and even now that we're flying high.

There are moments you see from players sometimes that makes you realise they really fucking care. Shay Given when he left under a cloud to join City due to his dismay at the direction we were taking. José Enrique left to go to a club with 'more ambition'. I remember Fabian Schar absolutely seething in an interview once after a game on the pitch (found a transcript below) :

[quote="https://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/read-fabian-schars-explosive-interview-after-newcastle-united-defeat-3028910]“Everybody had a **** game, to be honest,” said the defender. “And we can't continue like this. We had a good game (in the 2-1 home win against) Everton, then we start a game like this.

All the players need to come together more. It's what we need to think about – everybody needs to look at themselves and do a better job. I don't think we can keep going like that. If we keep playing like that, it's not enough.”

[/quote]

I knew then that he was one of those players that cared a lot about his job. His demeanor was beyond his words, I can't find the video, but he was fucking angry. From that moment I knew we had a proper player, skillful beyond what he was allowed to show from what I could see, and an absolute bang-on attitude.

He's not fast, he doesn't have to be, he's so good with the ball at his feet and the way he strikes a ball doesn't need any mention on here.

I've been watching Newcastle since 94, and I think that collectively him and Botman are the best central defence partnership we've had in all my time supporting the club. We've had outstanding individuals before - Albert and Woodgate spring to mind, and Woodgate for me is still the best I've seen, but he had Andy O'Brien or Titus Bramble for teammates and was also injured a lot.

Don't know what point I'm making now, just a brain fart on our defenders over the years, but Schar is up there in my top 4 with Woodgate, Albert, Botman and himself.

Schar is great, and I've said it before and will say it again, that cabbagehead wasted 2 years of his prime career is criminal. It was absolutely clear under Rafa what a class act he is. As great as Botman is (and he is great) it's not like he's overshadowing Schar at all. 

2 hours ago, Tiresias said:

Schar is great, and I've said it before and will say it again, that cabbagehead wasted 2 years of his prime career is criminal. It was absolutely clear under Rafa what a class act he is. As great as Botman is (and he is great) it's not like he's overshadowing Schar at all. 

Even under Rafa he didn't look like a back 4 centre half. He looked slightly better than the rest because he was decent on the ball and scored. Defensively he was one of 3 centre halves.

He's been Howe'd.

12 minutes ago, madras said:

Even under Rafa he didn't look like a back 4 centre half. He looked slightly better than the rest because he was decent on the ball and scored. Defensively he was one of 3 centre halves.

He's been Howe'd.

agree.

I would agree he liked best in a 3 but in that system schar was mint not having this rewriting history that schar was rubbish until Howe spotted him cabbagehead didn't know what to do with him. Howe may have improved him still but that's nonsense him, lejeune and lascelles was best backline for a long time up till then

This might be somewhat anecdotal, but I think a lot about a player can be measured by how upright he is when he has the ball and how little he looks down. Schar is straight as a rod on the ball, reminds me of the imperiousness of Woodgate whilst in posession.

It's why I never rate players like Ritchie or Fraser who don't seem capable of moving the ball without staring at their own feet the whole time.

2 hours ago, HawK said:

This might be somewhat anecdotal, but I think a lot about a player can be measured by how upright he is when he has the ball and how little he looks down. Schar is straight as a rod on the ball, reminds me of the imperiousness of Woodgate whilst in posession.

It's why I never rate players like Ritchie or Fraser who don't seem capable of moving the ball without staring at their own feet the whole time.

aye that famously upright Maradonna and Messi are awful like 🤦🏻 you ever thought biomechanics might play a bit of a part in it, along with the massive disparity in height between the players you mentioned?