Fabian Schär

As great as he is at the back, I absolutely love having a CB with such good dribbling technique and close control, when he ran into the box and set Joelinton free with a perfectly weighted pass it was basically our best chance in the game. He’s fantastic 

Yeah, Botman is getting all the plaudits. I get it, as he has come in and been pretty much flawless and at 22 and in a new league. It’s outrageous how good he has been. 

But I’d argue Schar has been even more impressive. Especially since the return from the world cup break. He is isolated a fair bit, due to the way we play. But covers the ground well and always seems to be in the right place. Despite not being particularly quick. 

Classy as fuck on the ball, no nonsense when he needs to be and he’s decent going forward. 

His aimless Hollywood balls that he tries now and then are basically my only complaint. 

Needs a chant. Too good and too handsome not to have his own song. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

4 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

The Hollywood balls find a man in a good position more often than not and he should’ve had an assist yesterday. I’d far rather he played the game like that than just launch it to Wilson.

He plays some beauties in behind. But I also think we have spells of trying to work an opening. Then we just give it back to them, or punt it off and give them a chance to slow the game down. 

Not just Schar, mind. We are still very direct at times. With a view to picking up the loose ball and stealing a good chunk of yards. Like old school percentage football, but a lot more sophisticated with the way we press and the areas we play in. 

I think we struggle to build in the middle third of the pitch. Which ties in with everyone wanting another midfielder and wide option. 

13 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

The Hollywood balls find a man in a good position more often than not and he should’ve had an assist yesterday. I’d far rather he played the game like that than just launch it to Wilson.

Yup, feels like it’s a healthy percentage of times he steps in to midfield he makes good use of the ball. 

Botman usually gets more credit because as a new signing you want him to perform directly. Besides that Botman is a vidic typ of defender. Throws him self into everything. He gets noticed more that way.

The thing with Schär is that he is so elegant and smooth with everything he does. Allways at the right place, driving forward and a very good passer. 

This attributes from both of them combined is jackpott and the biggest key to our form. 

If i had to choose the one, then for me it is Schär who has a more allround game than Botman.

For those of you old enough to remember ‘Heidi in the mountains’ on telly in late 1970’s (based on a famous Swiss fictional ‘goat herder’ character) who used to to say ‘Oopla grandfather!’ (Sounded like that anyway) how about a chant like: 

🎵 Harder than The Matterhorn 

More beautiful by far

Oopla! Oopla!

Fabian Schar  🎵 

Spoiler

:coat:

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

6 hours ago, nemtizz said:

Botman has been incredible, is 23 and playing in a new league, so he's rightly get the bulk of praise but Schar has been a level above. Best CB pairing I can remember.

This. Think he was comfortably MOTM on Saturday.