Fabian Schär

17 hours ago, LiquidAK said:

I love this handsome bastard. I know he's 31 and we need to look for a young replacement at some point, but I hope it's someone really young and raw who won't take over for the next 2-3 seasons. This guy is effortlessly cool and the perfect partner for Sven. 

His game isn't based on pace so you would expect that he can keep to his level for at least another 2 years

1 hour ago, nufcjb said:

Who are the Swiss defenders ahead of him in the national team? They any good to be ahead of him? Sorry, I don't really follow international football closely.

Akanji (City) and Elvedi (Gladbach) are usually the two that play if he doesn’t. All decent, similar level but with different  attribute players tbf.

I have a question. 

I think Schär should go down as a club legend. One of the best defenders we’ve had at the club. Best transfer. Best looking. 

However, something tells me that he won’t. I think this could change depending on what happens in the next 2 years. 

I ask you - if you also feel that he lacks appreciation, why do you think that that is? 

the Brucey years? 

thanks

Was totally oblivious to the fact that he was unbeaten this season. Suppose he's our last man standing in that respect from the regulars?

EDIT: And that he played with Joelinton at Hoffenheim.

Hate Bruce a little more after reading that, somehow [emoji38]

Up there with my favourite players of the current crop. It was interesting to see a breakdown of how well he and Botman complement each other, really provides a lot of faith in our recruitment team and their potential to continue to build from here.

Edited by Barnes23

Just now, Ronaldo said:

Deserves one as much as anyone. I've run out of superlatives for him. He's basically a much better version of Coloccini.

Reckon Howe would have loved Coloccini mind.

I fell in love with him the minute I saw his outburst that was caught on video about the team not performing as well as they could during the Bruce era. Saw the man cared a great deal and had pride in himself and his team said everything short of Bruce being shit, you could tell that was right on his lips but didn't want to talk himself out of the team. Of course after that, he didn't get in the team much anyway.

I do want him shooting more, he's such a great striker of the ball and tends to keep it down with ease.

For 2022-23 though, he has an aerial duel success percentage of 66.1 per cent — putting him in the top third.

What’s changed? The additions of Botman and Burn, both superb aerially, are protecting Schar. With those two around he is tasked with marking the opposition’s best header of a ball far less frequently than used to be the case

I love reading these kinds of things. It's kind of like the "oh yeah, no shit" type of tactics that you don't even really think about but are vitally important and things Eddie is keenly aware of. I think it also explains a lot why Burn is still getting in ahead of Targett. Schar is 15% better at winning his aerial duels since Botman and Burn have both been in the back four.

It's also interesting to note that they put Big Joe on the oppositions best header of the ball during set pieces. Love that.

Edited by cubaricho