Fabian Schär

3 minutes ago, Zero said:

I think most of the teams or scouts rate his defending ability as “very poor”. And to be honest his defending is really his major weakness - and he needs a solid defence system to cover him up. He is just like the CB version of Pirlo.

He deserves a lot of credit for our outstanding season, I just want to point out that Botman probably deserves more. 

What on earth are you talking about?

I know Botman is the shiny new toy, and has a much higher ceiling and will likely become better than Schar, but Schar as been the better CB this season. By a margin. Not that Botman has been bad, Schar has been exceptional. Gone unnoticed but he has been one of the best CBs in the league this season. 

He's a class performer, and yesterday was no exception, but he got done badly by Kane for their goal. He was a bit isolated mind, but still thought he shouldn't have got passed so easily.

I said botman was better but may be overcorrecting from seeing schar doing more sort of last ditchy stuff and so my mnd thinks botman probably sorting things out before gets there, but its just difficult they've both been brilliant. 

Just now, Tiresias said:

I said botman was better but may be overcorrecting from seeing schar doing more sort of last ditchy stuff and so my mnd thinks botman probably sorting things out before gets there, but its just difficult they've both been brilliant. 

Botman has made more mistakes and is far less exposed than Schar. Burn is usually close-by for Botman. Schar has also been a difference maker with the ball.

Schar seems to be the leader of the pair.

14 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

He should’ve just taken Kane out nearer the half-way line, but I guess we were going to win so less desperation and need to take a yellow card. 

He tried to bring him down in the box once he'd got past him which would've gotten him sent off if he'd succeeded, never mind a yellow!

Don't take this the wrong way as I love him but he's not been his best defensively the past 3 games. He should have had more cover when he went to engage Kane for their goal but he still coould've done a lot better than he did 1 v 1. He's been dominating those encounters all season but Toney, Watkins and Kane have all done him in the last 3 games. 

9 hours ago, Ace said:

If you’ve watched him over the years, he went down after playing a bad pass so make of that what you will 

He said post game that he came off with a slight hamstring issue that would be assessed on Monday. Hopefully nothing.

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Teams are targeting the space Trippier leaves in behind too.

Definitely but that's been the same all season and Schar's dealt with it fine. I think he needs to maintain a wider rest defence position than he has the past few games. Burn and Botman really have to move across as much as possible and be ready to cover when are building from the right. 

Trippier doesn't have the output he does without Schar. Schar is to the defence what Longstaff is to the midfield in that you'll definitely notice him when he's not there.

For me, he's brilliant and I personally don't agree with any of the paper talk about 'buying a replacement for Schar who's getting old', he's got years left in him, he's never been about pace and I think he can be a maintstay at the back for us for a few more years yet.

Edited by HawK

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Aye that was poor.

Cost me a mega haul on FPL too.

But he's often in that position 1v1 with an attacker. And deals with it 9 times out of 10. Botman isn't often in that position as Burn is close by.

I also think that Botman is instructed to be the more aggressive of the two CB's as he has the recovery pace that Schar doesn't.

24 minutes ago, HawK said:

Trippier doesn't have the output he does without Schar. Schar is to the defence what Longstaff is to the midfield in that you'll definitely notice him when he's not there.

For me, he's brilliant and I personally don't agree with any of the paper talk about 'buying a replacement for Schar who's getting old', he's got years left in him, he's never been about pace and I think he can be a maintstay at the back for us for a few more years yet.

Eventually we'll need some pace at CB and we really need someone better than Lascelles. IMO we have to buy someone that can realistically take Schar's place. A CL level team needs 3 first choice CB's. 

1 minute ago, Lenny said:

I also think that Botman is instructed to be the more aggressive of the two CB's as he has the recovery pace that Schar doesn't.

I'd consider Schar the more aggressive player. He's more likely to follow the attacker deep into their own half like he did on Son for Isak's first goal.

That was a good tactical bit by Howe. 

Also - I don't think Botman is significantly faster than Schar. Our entire backline is pretty slow.

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Eventually we'll need some pace at CB and we really need someone better than Lascelles. IMO we have to buy someone that can realistically take Schar's place. A CL level team needs 3 first choice CB's. 

Agree on eventually - but I think the more immediate solution is a top-tier left back so Burn can move in the middle to provide cover there. I know being left-footed on the right isn't ideal, especially with Trippier up the pitch, so runners will go down the outside of him on his wrong foot, but I think this does more for the team in the short term.