Fabian Schär

32 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I'd consider Schar the more aggressive player. He's more likely to follow the attacker deep into their own half like he did on Son for Isak's first goal.

That was a good tactical bit by Howe. 

Also - I don't think Botman is significantly faster than Schar. Our entire backline is pretty slow.

I think Botman is more aggressive in that he'll hunt out attacking players when they are approaching our defensive third, whereas Schar is more likely to mop up should they get past the Botman/defensive charge.

Agreed on the pace of the backline, we could do with bringing in some faster players to offer more circumstantial depth.

I do think Botman is a fair bit faster than Schar, mind, even if he isn't "fast". Schar is seriously slow :lol:

Edited by Lenny

3 minutes ago, Lenny said:

I do think Botman is a fair bit faster than Schar, mind, even if he isn't "fast". Schar is seriously slow :lol:

I remember before he signed there was some talk about Botman being slow, so I was surprised to see him show a decent turn of pace when getting run at in one game last season. I think he's quicker than he's given credit for.

1 hour ago, HawK said:

Agree on eventually - but I think the more immediate solution is a top-tier left back so Burn can move in the middle to provide cover there. I know being left-footed on the right isn't ideal, especially with Trippier up the pitch, so runners will go down the outside of him on his wrong foot, but I think this does more for the team in the short term.

We can’t go into a CL campaign with Burn our second choice LB and second choice CB. I don’t even think he’s second choice RCB - Lascelles has that spot.  

New LB

Burn

Botman

Schar

Lascelles

Trippier

Ashby

Is not good enough for the games we’ll have. 

An RCB isn’t as pressing as LB of course. But I’d be disappointed if we didn’t plug those gaps. 

We are similar to Arsenal. When they missed 2 or 3 (2 got injured in the same European game) the drop off is significant and has cost them crucial points. We’ve been so fortunate to not miss any for the entire season. 

1 hour ago, Lenny said:

I think Botman is more aggressive in that he'll hunt out attacking players when they are approaching our defensive third, whereas Schar is more likely to mop up should they get past the Botman/defensive charge.

Agreed on the pace of the backline, we could do with bringing in some faster players to offer more circumstantial depth.

You should look at the average positions - Schar is the clear higher up CB and Botman is the one who's usually mopping up deeper. Schar's at his best when he's very aggresive winning the ball like that - recall his world class performance under Rafa at Leicester in 2019 (?) 

The CB's are both instructed to aggresively press and win back the ball when they come into the CF or wingers, ala Schar for Murph's howitzer and ala Botman for Willock's header v Man United. 

I remember Schar being quite highly rated when he came through at Basel. That said, I’m pleasantly surprised to see him thriving in a back four that plays such a high line. 

His time under Rafa and Bruce was quite polarising, and speaks to one manager that understood him and one that didn’t.

I think he’s had one or two poor moments lately (Brentford’s first penalty and Sunday’s goal) but his playmaking abilities when teams sit off us is huge. 

4 hours ago, sushimonster85 said:

Surely next season (assuming we do get a more attack mided LB) then Targett would be the more natural backup LB? Him coming in would mean not altering the way we're playing as much as Burn next season.  

Yep, not sure where you're coming from @The College Dropout, I think Lascelles is fine backup for Schar atm, with Burn for Botman and Targett for whomever we hopefully sign. The priority has to be a top tier left back before any other further cover imo. 

5 hours ago, Kanji said:

You should look at the average positions - Schar is the clear higher up CB and Botman is the one who's usually mopping up deeper. Schar's at his best when he's very aggresive winning the ball like that - recall his world class performance under Rafa at Leicester in 2019 (?) 

The CB's are both instructed to aggresively press and win back the ball when they come into the CF or wingers, ala Schar for Murph's howitzer and ala Botman for Willock's header v Man United. 

Fair enough :thup:

My perception was that whilst he tends to roam forward more, he's less aggressive at pressing when opposition players are actively in our third than Botman.

22 minutes ago, HawK said:

Yep, not sure where you're coming from @The College Dropout, I think Lascelles is fine backup for Schar atm, with Burn for Botman and Targett for whomever we hopefully sign. The priority has to be a top tier left back before any other further cover imo. 

Agree to disagree. Only thing I agree about is the LB being a higher priority. 

And I like Lascelles a lot. But I wouldn’t want to see him start 12 games next season. Although I would love him to captain the team while the CL music is playing behind him. Just so he always has that moment. He’s been a great leader for us. But that’s my sentimentality talking.  

14 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

You'd imagine him and Bruno will be given extra recovery time. 

Think there's a fair chance he'll be out going from Howe's presser. He seemed to think Bruno would be fine, but seemed more doubtful when asked about Schar.

Shout out for this guy tonight, thought he was arguably the only one who was brilliant throughout, given the general sloppiness in stages. He didn't put a foot wrong though and was critical to denying DCL that chance early on. Was denied an absolutely gorgeous goal too, which was a tragedy. What a stunning finish that was. 

Pinged another lovely ball out to Big Joe, scores an albeit disallowed worldie.

Worth trying in midfield for the last two or three if we secure Champs League by then? 

3 minutes ago, TBG said:

Worth trying in midfield for the last two or three if we secure Champs League by then? 

Being good on the ball and playing some passes as a CB is a different world to playing in midfield. 

6 minutes ago, TBG said:

The only way I want to see him in midfield again is if it's the last game of the season and we've already secured 3rd by 10+ points and all the players can draw their positions from a hat before the game. 

You Schar make me feel like loving you, loving you yeah baby (would beat DJ Otzi)

Like the symbolism of a centre-half getting a would be 5th.  Way he sets it up nevermind the strike, stylish as fuck.

Edited by Wolfcastle

• 4 weeks later...