Newcastle United 1 - 2 Tottenham Hotspur - 10/08/18 - post-match from p. 17

Disco

Wonder what seven or so teams have improved massively which will mean they have jumped us in the table from last year. I understand the negativity due to the off the field stuff but we'll be closer to 10th than we will to relegation.

I'm not happy about this BTW, just saying that it's not really going to be how some think.

I thought we did OK - could and probably should have made it 2 - 2 at a minimum. It's weird, there was moments, mainly in first half where Spurs really made us look a bit silly at the back. As the game went on it got more event but there was a solid 20 min spell second half where Diame and Shelvey were totally bossing it. Was a joy to watch. Kenedy looking dangerous again, let us down with that touch when he was in loads of time and space to score.

Positives: I think we definitely have more about us than last season. I love the idea we have combinations some interesting attacking combinations to discover. Diame and Shelvey look like they can cause any team problems when they turn it on.

Negatives: We are desperately exposed in some positions with lack of depth, if Yedlin's fucked that's one of them.

Deserved a point. Letting them in so many times via set pieces and crosses in the first half was well shite though. Ritchie for Atsu was a poor sub. Muto and Rondon both look like handfuls for defenders in their own way. Hopefully Yedlin's injury is not anything serious but I doubt it knowing our luck. All that full back cover. Cheers Mike, Lee and Justin. At least we have profit. Vile cunts.

Atsu was absolutely shocking. Might as well went with Murphy

Ritchie was having a decent game as well so it was an odd sub. Probably wanted pace to hit them faster, but he was totally off the boil. That moment where he could have sent Rondon through but passed the opposite way he was running. Man so infuriating.

Wonder what seven or so teams have improved massively which will mean they have jumped us in the table from last year. I understand the negativity due to the off the field stuff but we'll be closer to 10th than we will to relegation.

I'm not happy about this BTW, just saying that it's not really going to be how some think.

The transfer window frenzy always yields very unwarranted and inaccurate statements. If football was as simple as team A spent X therefore are better than team B who spent Y, it would be a pointless game.

We'll be absolutely fine, I'd take our team over a good 5/6 sides in the league, perhaps more.

I was very impressed with Muto, looked very sharp and has real pace and stronger than he looks.

Going on what I’ve seen today. Take Joselu and Perez out for Rondon/Muto and we'll be a different prospect.

Diame grew into it in second half but he was well off the pace in the first. Hopefully he just takes a while to get going..

Spurs didn't get out of 2nd gear really

So negative. It was hardly a game they won at a canter. Easily could have lost it second half.

Spurs couldn't get out of second, or whatever gear they were in. We were a threat throughout and they knew it.

If they had moved up a gear it would have been because we were no competition.

I was very impressed with Muto, looked very sharp and has real pace and stronger than he looks.

Going on what I’ve seen today. Take Joselu and Perez out for Rondon/Muto and we'll be a different prospect.

Diame grew into it in second half but he was well off the pace in the first. Hopefully he just takes a while to get going..

It's also exciting to see what combinations of Rondon/Perez/Muto will produce. It's great to have some exciting variety in our attacking line ups.

We had plenty of great chances; post, bar, Lloris save low to Perez and the miscontrol from Kenedy. These could've been goals on a different day.

Outside of Atsu, Dummett and Yedlin, our team played well, think at home we can at least compete with any team.

Guest firetotheworks

On another day we get a point, but that's the realm we're operating in.

As an aside, I just want to publicly thank Atsu for making my un-acted upon chances in life not seem all that bad. I can't remember the last time a substitute was that far below the quality of the player he was replacing. I don't even dislike him or anything, but that was a really bad performance.

I know it's early days but I find it difficult not to be totally deflated after that tbh: we lost at home, all the same weaknesses from last season are there in plain sight, and we suffered a significant injury to someone who played rubbish anyway.

I know it's early days but I find it difficult not to be totally deflated after that tbh. We lost at home, all the same weaknesses from last season are there in plain sight, and we suffered a significant injury to someone who played rubbish anyway.

Early days, and an expected defeat, still ruined my weekend though.