Manchester United 3 - 2 Newcastle United - 06/10/18

BlueStar

People seem to be forgetting that we are very much out of form and lacking in confidence ourselves. The way some are simplifying the game of football is astonishing, like. I hope you're all stamping your marks on your local grassroots coaching scene at the very least. The world of football is missing such fresh insights.

Football isn't a complicated game and losing 3 goals in 20 minutes is poor at any level of the sport.

They had a front 6 costing almost £350m by the end of the game in Fellaini, Pogba, Sanchez, Martial, Mata & Lukaku. That pretty much buys you Newcastle United.

Guest reefatoon

I think the players realised at half time that if they kept that up and moved to safety, they would be spending a week with Mike in his speedos. Soon snapped them back into place.

People seem to be forgetting that we are very much out of form and lacking in confidence ourselves. The way some are simplifying the game of football is astonishing, like. I hope you're all stamping your marks on your local grassroots coaching scene at the very least. The world of football is missing such fresh insights.

Football isn't a complicated game and losing 3 goals in 20 minutes is poor at any level of the sport.

:lol:

Cheers for reinforcing my point.

As the legendary Bill Shankley once said;

Football is a simple game complicated by idiots.

lets also ignore that diame foul aside the free kick was a great finish and martial's also decent individually...it's not as if we were opened up at will or totally fell apart defensively gifting them goals, even sanchez's header was a fucking good header to finish from where he was with the bodies around him, albeit he shouldn't be left free obvs

they threw on players worth more than our entire team man, as much as some don't want to hear it that has an effect on games

Guest covmag

woke up to find it really did happen, we were great in the first half albeit against a half arsed manure, however once they got their first it was inevitable but ffs i thought at worst a draw, that third killed me off last night like, we never get the breaks.

fucking hate football at times  :rant:

It is a simple game. Mourinho simply hoyed loads of multi million pound international players on and won the game.

It is a simple game. Mourinho simply hoyed loads of multi million pound international players on and won the game.

Nah, Rafa changed tactics and told all our players to be shit.

If it's so simple I don't know why we're discussing tactics in the first place. Surely a team assembled with ten times the money will beat us every time.

If it's so simple I don't know why we're discussing tactics in the first place. Surely a team assembled with ten times the money will beat us every time.

Yep. They would.

It's naive to think it's as simple as 'Keep attacking and we'll win'

At 2-0 down at half time, at home against a team in terrible form, even Mourinho would be forced to tell his team to go all-out attack. It worked.

We should definitely have no issue in combating that, though. Simple.

We played with plenty heart and desire as is the bare minimum under Benitez. We went out with a clear game plan to pressure them intensely and snatch an early lead of which we executed perfectly. Unfortunately, I cannot agree that we defended well or in an organised fashion after the first 20 minutes. It was more a case of all hands on pumps than actually preventing them scoring through good discipline. Mourinho brought on Mata and they stretched the play wide. As so often is the case for Newcastle at the moment we were cut open by another good quality side through the use of good wing play. Defensively Yedlin is not good enough and never has been. Manquillo isn't good enough full stop. The ball was put in the box countless times and actually at half time we should have probably been about 5-2 up and at that stage the game would have probably been dead, but nonetheless Mourinho is a top drawer manager and would have no-doubt identified weaknesses from the 1st half display.

Had we have got that blatant penalty I think the game would have been put to bed at 3-0. Obviously they probably should have had one too but I think at 3-0 their fans wouldn't have seen any hope, nor would their team.

Nevertheless, it was predictable that they'd come out a totally different side and after we escaped the 1st 15mins of the second half without conceding I thought it was going to be our day. Their fans turned the screw (fair play) and so did the team in turn. They brought on players worth probably in the region of 100m and we brought on players worth around 20m. Not only this, Sanchez, Fellaini and Mata play for the leading countries in the game and our 3, well...they barely get in any of their respective squads or even near them.

Diame made a silly foul that he should have made further up the pitch and that tackle arguably cost us the game. Yes it was a bit of individual brilliance from Mata but given the fragile nature of the club at present it was enough to destroy our confidence and send us into complete disarray. I think that's the point NEEJ is probably trying to make. Football may be a simple game but the nature of human beings isn't. Our confidence was noticeably shattered especially after Kenedy went off too.

Ultimately, another frustrating loss. We deserved to beat Spurs, should have got a draw vs Chelsea and should have got a least a point here. 5 points and we'd be out of the relegation zone. That combined with converting the penalty vs Cardiff and we'd be mid-table.

Which brings me to my final point - we've played something like 6 of last seasons top 8. Cardiff and Leicester have been the only two games that I've truly been worried about the results and probably more so the way we have played. We made a profit in the summer and we stood still whilst everyone else progressed. The issue here, as has always been the case is Mike Ashley. Benitez isn't faultless, nor are the players, but the difference is that these people (and the fans) are all trying their best to over achieve and show ambition, for that their faults can be accepted. Mike Ashley's ignorance, arrogance and negligence cannot.

At 2-0 down at half time, at home against a team in terrible form, even Mourinho would be forced to tell his team to go all-out attack. It worked.

We should definitely have no issue in combating that, though. Simple.

If we’d assembled a squad, yeah.

Still shattered by that collapse. Replaying in my mind the mistakes that’s let them come back and out no surprise  lack of squad depth that resulted in 3 useless subs why did nothing but invite More pressure on our team.

It’s pretty damn complicated at elite level. Either way I’m pretty unsure what people wanted Rafa to do. Everything was working fine until we gave away a ridiculous free kick that imo the keeper has to do better on and we collapsed as they were piling 5 players into the box. We lost our only player able to carry the ball to ease the pressure (Kenedy) and our squad is ass so the subs made us look worse. Mourinho completely changed their line up in the second half

Totally agree man.

Feels worse this morning.

I find strength in the fact that every defeat puts pressure on Ashley.

Does it though?

It might get a few more people shouting at him, but no one is going to want to buy us if we are looking like relegation.

I have to believe that it does put pressure on him.

I do believe that the meal and claim that he wants Rafa to stay is the beginning of him panicking that relegation, and reduced TV money, is looming.

Good post Heron. The bit about our defending in general after they changed things on 20mins is a fair one considering the chances Rashford and Matic missed which were laughably bad.