Protests and that

ToonArmy1892

Don't get those people. They will have missed games before due to work, holidays or whatever. This is just 1 game ffs, just don't go.

I know I keep stating the point but the managers comments this week certainly have not helped mind.

Said it before but Ashley could go on Sky Sports with a Shearer shirt, wipe his arse on it, say all Geordies are complete cunts and he thinks its hilarious they still give him money, and there would be plenty at the game on the Saturday. It's a bad situation.

Agree with you there mind

Naturally I agree with the sentiment of the TF article but I don't think it serves any purpose other than to get certain people's backs up. Attacking idiots is no way to convince them, it just strengthens their resolve.

Guest neesy111

Naturally I agree with the sentiment of the TF article but I don't think it serves any purpose other than to get certain people's backs up. Attacking idiots is no way to convince them, it just strengthens their resolve.

I suspect 95% of those idiots don't even read TF tbh.

Don't get those people. They will have missed games before due to work, holidays or whatever. This is just 1 game ffs, just don't go.

I know I keep stating the point but the managers comments this week certainly have not helped mind.

No but he can't exactly say much else to the press. The Chronicle reporting it as of he is attacking the thought of a boycott which I don't think he necessarily is makes me question whose side they're on tbh. Of course he isn't going to say that we should boycott the game.

Guest firetotheworks

:thup:

This is the thing. It's so hard to not just scream in people's faces but it'll do nothing. I'm not totally convinced the effort needed to convince people is worth it either, it's proper draining at times.

I don't think there are any supporters, attending or not, who don't think that a change at the top would be good for the club now.

However many think that it will take a far more structured, intelligent and powerful approach than a few people shouting at Sports Direct outlets or boycotting a home match to make such change actually happen. It's probably also fair to say that being insulted by internet warriors or told what to do by the same odious, self appointed spokespeople who think they are above the ordinary fans because they can write a blog, does little more than put the backs up of the majority who feel they still want to go to the match to support their team.

If you don't want to go to the match that's fine, if you do that's also fine, but insulting and shouting at people like some deranged fascist just because they don't agree with your point of view really isn't the way forward.

This is the thing. It's so hard to not just scream in people's faces but it'll do nothing. I'm not totally convinced the effort needed to convince people is worth it either, it's proper draining at times.

I think arguing with people online is definitely tiring and frustrating. People hold their positions much more resolutely online. Maybe Plenum is right and we need a more simple approach, posters in local shops would be a constant presence and a symbol that the community is behind the movement. I think we'd need to be careful of dragging the online discourse into the realm of public reality, by not screaming in peoples faces, and maybe keeping it to anti Ashley posters, rather than the more divisive issue of boycott.

Said it before but Ashley could go on Sky Sports with a Shearer shirt, wipe his arse on it, say all Geordies are complete cunts and he thinks its hilarious they still give him money, and there would be plenty at the game on the Saturday. It's a bad situation.

"I'm not here for Ashley, I'm here supporting the lads. Oh shit, Joselu is coming on. Booooooooooooo!"

No but he can't exactly say much else to the press. The Chronicle reporting it as of he is attacking the thought of a boycott which I don't think he necessarily is makes me question whose side they're on tbh. Of course he isn't going to say that we should boycott the game.

Don't say anything though he is clever enough to give an answer which deflects from it as he has many of times on other things - his words have made it look like an attack and gives a ready made excuse to the sheep to say well Rafa says we should support the team.

I think arguing with people online is definitely tiring and frustrating. People hold their positions much more resolutely online. Maybe Plenum is right and we need a more simple approach, posters in local shops would be a constant presence  and a symbol that the community is behind the movement. I think we'd need to be careful of dragging the online discourse into the realm of public reality, by not screaming in peoples faces, and maybe keeping it to anti Ashley posters, rather than the more divisive issue of boycott.

On first reading that sounded like we'd have Branko or someone standing in the local newsagents all day :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

I’m openly critical of those attending the game at SJP on here and personally think the vast majority of them are brain dead, but I wouldn’t want any of the groups openly criticising fans because it just plays into Mike Ashley’s hands. I’d rather see the groups educate fans, keep pushing the facts and challenging the lies and myths spouted in the media and focus on the campaign at hand, which is against Mike Ashley and his cronies and what they are doing to our club. I wouldn’t even engage in debate with fans who mock a boycott or say it won’t work.

For me, one person boycotting as an individual is making a stand and even if 3,000 boycotted it would be a huge success. We are never going to see an empty stadium or win over some of those I’ve described as brain dead and doing so or trying to do so would just bring the whole point of the campaign and protests to a level that I’d not want to be part of or consider beneficial at all. Again it just plays into Ashley’s hands.

What the groups need to do every match day is provide leaflets and booklets, there needs to be more ways to get those who support the campaign and would boycott, to get more involved. The trickle effect will eventually come into play anyway with other fans.

I’d say 30k at least though would turn up even if we were a league one side or if Ashley wiped his arse with a Toon top before kick-off every game.

I was critical of the Magpie Group a week or so back calling them spineless and that was bull shit of me, even those that attend aren’t spineless. It’s Ashley and co and the media who are spineless. I was just getting frustrated with the seemingly slow pace and Ashley’s presence at SJP not being objected to in any way whatsoever.

It’s obvious though that TMG and others are working hard and are having an impact, a massive positive one and everyone involved deserves huge credit.

I truly believe Sports Redirect, the website and the Sports Neglect message is what can truly hurt Ashley the most though rather than match day protests and if the various groups can join forces with the various Rangers’ fans groups I think combined, if consistent, the screw can be turned.

SD has to be the target more than the fans.

I doubt anyone who supports NUFC or anyone in the City who doesn’t but are proud Geordies, wants Ashley anywhere near the club or are happy with how he runs it.

Long term the club needs to be relegated and to stay down so that it cuts off the TV revenue Ashley uses to pay for the operating of the club and the exposure it provides SD in terms of advertising.

As long as NUFC remains a PL club and gets full houses or near enough full houses, it’s a win win situation for him and fans will pay to watch NUFC in the PL even if we are fighting relegation every year with a crap team. Remove Rafa and there will be a full house the next game and the next and the next.

Sadly, I’m now of the feeling where it comes to the club of crash and burn. If we are talking odds, that’s the best chance of getting rid of him. Protests won’t, but they do increase the pressure and make it hard for him and his cronies to hide, lie and simply allow the club to rot.

The huge success of the Spurs boycott forced Ashley to make a TV interview appearance and lead to a spending spree under McClaren, obviously it was tied in with having to spend to keep the club in the PL, but it was also tied to needing to keep the stadium full every game because a half empty stadium is bad for Sky and the PL iteself who sell our game as the best in the world, full houses every week, action, drama, goals, excitingment. NUFC would feature less on live TV with thousands of empty seats every week.

If the locals aren’t buying the product, the rest of the world will stop buying it as well. It happened to Serie A and strong attendances in the PL is one of the big selling points which has kept it ahead of other leagues in terms of popularity and interest even if the best players and teams tend to come from other leagues like La Liga.

I don't think there are any supporters, attending or not, who don't think that a change at the top would be good for the club now.

However many think that it will take a far more structured, intelligent and powerful approach than a few people shouting at Sports Direct outlets or boycotting a home match to make such change actually happen. It's probably also fair to say that being insulted by internet warriors or told what to do by the same odious, self appointed spokespeople who think they are above the ordinary fans because they can write a blog, does little more than put the backs up of the majority who feel they still want to go to the match to support their team.

If you don't want to go to the match that's fine, if you do that's also fine, but insulting and shouting at people like some deranged fascist just because they don't agree with your point of view really isn't the way forward.

They could always try and suggest what they would do then? I don't see anyone doing that. They want a change at the top but aren't willing to do anything to achieve it?

Maybe they think that it's ultimately going to take someone with enough money to sway the thick skinned, hard nosed businessman who currently holds the power?  However an outsider's view of the club may not make it such an attractive proposition right now.

If you feel that shouting at shops and boycotting home games (assuming you actually go) is the way forward then hey that's great, carry on doing it.

Newcastle United Football Club is the lifeblood of Newcastle upon Tyne.

Sports Direct is the lifeblood of Mike Ashley.

He started it I say we finish it.  Any efforts should be directed at SD, make it so nobody wants to be involved with him in any business sense. No effort should be wasted arguing amongst ourselves.

They could always try and suggest what they would do then? I don't see anyone doing that. They want a change at the top but aren't willing to do anything to achieve it?

Maybe they think that it's ultimately going to take someone with enough money to sway the thick skinned, hard nosed businessman who currently holds the power?  However an outsider's view of the club may not make it such an attractive proposition right now.

If you feel that shouting at shops and boycotting home games (assuming you actually go) is the way forward then hey that's great, carry on doing it.

No idea what will/can/might work but your solution of filling his pockets year on year on year, regardless of what he does or how funny he finds you, is really going brilliantly so far.

suppose Ashley had an offer for the club that was around what he wanted but hadn't made his mind up.

Do you think he would be more or less likely to accept and sell if there were protests and boycotts, or more likely to sell if there were no protests and the money was guaranteed to keep pouring in? 

Guest firetotheworks

Do these people genuinely think that the Sports Direct protests are about 'shouting at a shop'? :lol: Is that what it's come down to? That people have forgotten that cameras and the media exist and that's the sole reason why the protests happen? It's the same sort of nearsightedness that makes people think that encouraging players is as far as supporting your club goes.

Do these people genuinely think that the Sports Direct protests are about 'shouting at a shop'? :lol: Is that what it's come down to? That people have forgotten that cameras and the media exist and that's the sole reason why the protests happen? It's the same sort of nearsightedness that makes people think that encouraging players is as far as supporting your club goes.

Aye. Phrase coined by the mackems and presumably used by the idiots who'd still turn up to games to sit in silence and boo substitutions support the team if Rafa is forced out because of Ashley and is replaced by a lickspittle-chancer.

Yet you offer nothing besides hot air. What exactly is this structured, intelligent and powerful approach? you seem to have a massive chip on your shoulder with regards to people organising themselves - of course it's not going to be perfect or pretty, the situation is shit already, but at least some are trying to actually do something about it, not sit on their hands waiting for divine intervention.

Major Sports Direct shareholders literally advised other shareholders to vote against Ashley as CEO at the last AGM because "negative media stories about Ashley have damaged the company's public image."

Does that include huge protests outside their stores? Nah probably not. :rolleyes: